Quantcast

Which mac ftp?

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
After trying just about all the ones I could get my hands on for free, I settled on Cyberduck, get it from versiontracker.com. Simple to use and has lots of nice things like bonjour support, growl support, bookmarks and the like.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I use Fetch as I have a free license through the university, it seems to work okay for me. If cyberduck seems to work fine and is freeware, mos def go with that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
CLI + MAC = :D

I tried to teach a windows user to use the cli ftp at my last job. Man, was that ever painful.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Fetch is a really good one, we've had no problems with it.. but if your a unix hack, the terminal has a full ftp command line access.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I opened a terminal window on a friend's Mac. They had a panic attack, like this was War Games...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
MacSFTP Carbon for me, since i only use sftp and scp these days. ftp is notoriously insecure.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Toshi said:
MacSFTP Carbon for me, since i only use sftp and scp these days. ftp is notoriously insecure.
It's not so much that the FTP protocol has issues. Any time you are transfering in clear text it's going to be insecure.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
It's not so much that the FTP protocol has issues. Any time you are transfering in clear text it's going to be insecure.
But does it honestly matter unless you have reason to believe someone is actually sniffing packets or otherwise intercepting your transmission on purpose?

Dunno about you, but none of my clients really have any state secrets to let leak!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
But does it honestly matter unless you have reason to believe someone is actually sniffing packets or otherwise intercepting your transmission on purpose?

Dunno about you, but none of my clients really have any state secrets to let leak!
It doesn't matter as long as you don't care about someone easily being able to sniff your ftp username and password. Not only is the data done via clear text but the authentication is also. I personally use scp/sftp 100% of the time.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
It doesn't matter as long as you don't care about someone easily being able to sniff your ftp username and password. Not only is the data done via clear text but the authentication is also. I personally use scp/sftp 100% of the time.
I'm aware. But seriously...how many people are going to know when and where to sniff to grab the username and password to one of my clients sites? Honestly....

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Hey, I'm with you...mostly. You never really know. If I find myself bored and on some kind of broadcast network I'll turn on some sniffing programs and see what I could find. I wouldn't do anything with it though. As long as you don't use the same username/password for your bank account it's probably no big deal....but why take that chance if you don't have to.

Most hosting providers that offer ftp should also be able to offer ssh/scp/sftp. Unless it's being hosted on a windows server and in that case someone catching your ftp password is the least of your worries.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
Hey, I'm with you...mostly. You never really know. If I find myself bored and on some kind of broadcast network I'll turn on some sniffing programs and see what I could find. I wouldn't do anything with it though. As long as you don't use the same username/password for your bank account it's probably no big deal....but why take that chance if you don't have to.

Most hosting providers that offer ftp should also be able to offer ssh/scp/sftp. Unless it's being hosted on a windows server and in that case someone catching your ftp password is the least of your worries.

Yup, my network is encrypted, mac limited and ssid isn't broadcast. Last 2 are weak, but everything helps.

All my banking is done with 128b ssl encryption.

I'm not really worried if someone grabs the latest company logo, in plain text form! :rofl:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
how is your network mac limited? Finding a ssid that isn't being broadcast is pretty easy with the right tools. Hopefully you're using WPA, I've seen 128 bit WEP cracked in less than 15 minutes.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
fraser, relying on the security of your network is a bad strategy. and since it's just as easy to use ssh instead of telnet, sftp instead of ftp, why not?

and yes, i also encrypt emails to those among my friends who have public keys.

<-- wears tinfoil hat

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
how is your network mac limited? Finding a ssid that isn't being broadcast is pretty easy with the right tools. Hopefully you're using WPA, I've seen 128 bit WEP cracked in less than 15 minutes.
Sorry, doing 10 things at once.

Mac address limited (yes it can be spoofed, but it keeps out casual snoopers). SSID not broadcast, same idea as above. And yes, WPA2 I believe.

I actually cracked my own wep password before in about 25 minutes when i forgot my key. :rofl:

And toshi, you are REALLY paranoid!;)