Quantcast

Which model of the Xpedo pedal to get ??

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Based on an earlier thread on this board I have been thinking about getting a pair of Xpedo flat pedals. However, looking at the webpage www.xpedo.com I am not sure whether to get the MX 1, MX 2 or MX 3 type. Can anyone inform me of some pros or cons concerning these three models?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
All 4 of these pedals are really nice. I run the MX3, since they are a little lighter than the other models. If you're looking for a light pedal, go with the Mx3. However, if you looking for a really strong and beefy pedal, the MX4 would be the one for you. Which ever ones you decide to go with, you will be very happy with these pedals...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
On the online shop where I have been looking at them it seems that the MX 1 and MX 2 are the most expensice ones....but I cant tell why ??

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
seismic said:
On the online shop where I have been looking at them it seems that the MX 1 and MX 2 are the most expensice ones....but I cant tell why ??
That is kind of strange. What is the price difference? Personally, I really like the MX3s...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't have Five.Tens but I suggest getting a pair if you want to run Xpedo MX-3s. Those pedals don't grip good enough with the Vans I ride in.

However, Wellgo MG-1s grip wonderfully with the same pair of Vans.

I'm going to try to put some standard pins into the MX-3s later this week to see if the grip improves.

-rob

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
So what is the problem? Are the pins too big, too many ?? Why dont they grip? I have been using the Azonic M-frames do far and no problem with grip on my Adio shoes....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've found that my Azonic A-Frames have hte best grips because of the type of pins. The pins are hollow tipped and install using a small allen head wrench. THey're basicly a miniature hollow tip sticking up and give more grip than a solid pin. I don't know what other brands use hollow pins though, but I'd pick a pair that have them.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
if you plan on just riding DJ's, DS or some trail - by all means get the MX-3. But if you plan on doing some rugged DH where you might hit your pedals on rocks - I say stay clear from the MX-3. they are made out of Magnesium and are prone to break. I've hit mine once or twice on rock while riding XC which was enough to rip some of the pins out :(

Do a budget and get some nice sticky 5.10 shoes and a nice pair of cheaper flat pedals. I’ve given up on expensive flats…they just don’t last. I like Tioga MX pedals…cheaper than most flats out there + they are pretty damn light and solid. I’ve used a pair for 1.5 year at North Star and they are still going strong. Can't say the same for my expensive Easton Cully's...I swear the bearing on those things die within ONE ride...

I sent a pair back to Easton earlier this year – they were so torn up by rocks that they were almost completely silver. They had no pins and looked like shait – also two years old. I asked them to completely ignore the body, and concentrate on the bearings, which had developed a tad bit of play.

A week after I had a brand new set of pedals…I thought that was pretty cool!! Stoked me out!! Since I’ve had to send my Cully’s back like 4 times for shot bearings they work good when new, but it only takes a few rides before they start developing play. Then the last time I sent them back, they sent me some Flatboys in exchange – they told me they don’t make Cully’s anymore, so I got a cheaper pedal as a replacement.. Stokage gone!! :(

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I have the MX-4 and they are not super light but super strong.
I clipped a rock and 4/5 of one pin was gone.
With that small wrench you get with the pedals, it was easy to get it out and put another one in there, no damage to the thread.
I don't know if the MX-1 would have hold up.

In the beginning I didn't like the shape of the pedal, because the rear part of the pedal is shorter than the front part.
Like the pedal is shifted forward on the axle.
But it has the benefit of gripping your heel better, it kind of ''hooks up'' which is nice in steep stuff and rock gardens.
I ride with Vans (waffle sole) and the grip is amazing.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Acadian said:
if you plan on just riding DJ's, DS or some trail - by all means get the MX-3. But if you plan on doing some rugged DH where you might hit your pedals on rocks - I say stay clear from the MX-3. they are made out of Magnesium and are prone to break. I've hit mine once or twice on rock while riding XC which was enough to rip some of the pins out :(

Do a budget and get some nice sticky 5.10 shoes and a nice pair of cheaper flat pedals. I’ve given up on expensive flats…they just don’t last. I like Tioga MX pedals…cheaper than most flats out there + they are pretty damn light and solid. I’ve used a pair for 1.5 year at North Star and they are still going strong. Can't say the same for my expensive Easton Cully's...I swear the bearing on those things die within ONE ride...

I sent a pair back to Easton earlier this year – they were so torn up by rocks that they were almost completely silver. They had no pins and looked like shait – also two years old. I asked them to completely ignore the body, and concentrate on the bearings, which had developed a tad bit of play.

A week after I had a brand new set of pedals…I thought that was pretty cool!! Stoked me out!! Since I’ve had to send my Cully’s back like 4 times for shot bearings they work good when new, but it only takes a few rides before they start developing play. Then the last time I sent them back, they sent me some Flatboys in exchange – they told me they don’t make Cully’s anymore, so I got a cheaper pedal as a replacement.. Stokage gone!! :(
2 year old pair of destroyed and mangled pedals substituted with a brand new pair of Flatboys....I'd still be stoked...Free minus zero = Free.:love:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
So as far as I can understand from the responses untill now it is much a question of whether the magnesium is strong enough for DH or not. I guess it is difficult to judge and since I have never ridden anything else than alu flats it is kind of hard to decide whether to go for the mag or alu version of the xpedo pedal...guess if it is the alu (that is if I consider the mag too weak) I am better off just keeping my M-frames...?!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
How hard are you on pedal bodies and pins? If you've never ripped a pin out of any pedal (perhaps your trails aren't very rocky or you are a real smooth/clean rider), then maybe you can run magnesiums.

I don't hear much about magnesium pedals having their bodies crushed; it's more an issue of pins ripping out, since the magnesium threads are weaker than aluminum.

-r