Quantcast

Which monkey is a guerilla marketer in disguise?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I just saw this on Pennyarcade and was wondering if we have one here and who they are...

pennyarcade.com said:
Guerilla Marketing
Fri, January 27 2006 - 07:08 AM
by: Tycho
We received the following from a young man who we will call "Mr. Smith."

(CW)TB

Hey guys,

I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco that targeted web forums.

I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.

They had 12 people working there full time, and were hiring 10 more. You do the math. No wait, I'll do it for you: that's 880 posts a day (if minimum was met). However he said the better ones could do around 8 or 10 an hour. And they had different "verticals" so there was the sports guy, and the games guy, the hentai, excuse me I mean anime guy, etc.

But the most critical point was this: develop and integrate the identity. No random "HEY EB GAMES IS AWESOME BUY THIS" stuff.

Kinda spooky.

Didn't take the job. It was a ****ing mill.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hmm, I live in SF. I just got a new computer job. I have an enormous post count...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 appears to be a shill for:

flavored vodka
pink shirt manufacturers
the RNC
paint wholesalers who can't rid of awful blue or browns they overstocked
the 29" wheel and tire industry
the HD TV industry
toyota

did i miss any?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The only obvious one recently is that guy that stosh pointed out who was spamming the story about his employee who bought a degree online.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
They said the marketing post was to be well-written and subtly placed, not overt, militant and angry.
If you think that was angry, you haven't even scratched the surface.

I spent more time laughing at the feeble attempts to insult me than I actually did posting my replies.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
splat said:
Its narlus !!!

For the Music industry!
The micro-mini corporate scum! The super obscure indie music industry, of course!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
robdamanii said:

I spent more time laughing at the feeble attempts to insult me than I actually did posting my replies.

Ok, what crawled up your ass?

I'm missing all the harsh RM stuff lately...:(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:

Joking, dude. It was a joke. Lighten up.

It was a light poke at your aggressive and somewhat belligerant posts in that thread. It wasn't a personal statement about your character or a presumption of what you may or may not have been feeling while you typed your responses.

:dancing:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
Joking, dude. It was a joke. Lighten up.

It was a light poke at your aggressive and somewhat belligerant posts in that thread. It wasn't a personal statement about your character or a presumption of what you may or may not have been feeling while you typed your responses.

:dancing:
Ahhh

Belligerance nonwithstanding, it was an issue of facts and talking about two different things, that's all.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
narlus said:
N8 appears to be a shill for:

flavored vodka
pink shirt manufacturers
the RNC
paint wholesalers who can't rid of awful blue or browns they overstocked
the 29" wheel and tire industry
the HD TV industry