Quantcast

Which moto bike?

cyp

Chimp
Sep 17, 2001
LI, New York
hey i am starting out in moto....just really messing around...no serious racing. i am 5' 10" 165lbs. i think i narrowed it down between a ktm 125 or yamaha yz 125. any thoughts??? or is 125 to small and i should maybe be looking at a 250? thanks.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless you're spending time in the sand, I would go four stroke. 2 strokes are a hand full and are a huge pain in the ass when it gets sketchy in tech trails. I would say a nice Honda xr250 4 stroke would be the right height and have enough power to control but enough to have fun with for a while.

My first real bike was my Husaberg fc400. A lot of bike, but I'm 6'4" 250+, so I managed just fine. My riding buddy rocked an xr250 for 2 years and just upped to a KTM 525 (some random number). He had a lot of fun on the xr and is about 5'8" 180ish.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm in the same boat, and am pretty much the same size as you. I'm just gonna get a '98-'02 MX 250cc 2 stroke. The MX bikes are so much fun to crusie trails on, minus the stiff suspension. I rode a CR125 and a KX125 last summer quite a bit and just wanted more power. The geometry felt way better than the XR or DR series felt, but I ride with a pretty aggressive style, just like on my mtb.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
KTM 125's are nice. Go for that.

The CRF250 (four stroke) would be a helluvan option too.

Stay away from a 2stroke 250 to start out. 125s are nice and still what I ride after riding for years.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
dan wask said:
For a first bike ? A two stroke 250 is going to be wayyyy to much for a beginner. I'd say rock a 125 two stroke or a 250 four stroke.
I ment 2 stroke 125. Def a 4stroke 250 would be a good bike.

Sorry I didnt clarify.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
for motocross you can get a two strokes cheap most of the guys are on four strokes know...125 would be a better beginner bike a 250 two sroke will give you quite a ride...in the woods you still see alot of two strokes...oh yeah as far as brand KTM is the best motor in any size...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
bikenweed said:
I'm in the same boat, and am pretty much the same size as you. I'm just gonna get a '98-'02 MX 250cc 2 stroke. The MX bikes are so much fun to crusie trails on, minus the stiff suspension. I rode a CR125 and a KX125 last summer quite a bit and just wanted more power. The geometry felt way better than the XR or DR series felt, but I ride with a pretty aggressive style, just like on my mtb.
I suggest a TTR for trails, such fun, soft bikes. But still jumpable...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I guess the trails I ride are a bit more than what you guys are on. Around Brown's Camp, you will see maybe 1 or 2 bikes that are 2 stroke the whole day. And the dude on the 2 stroke is getting his ass handed to him the whole time.

The trails near my house are steep, roots, rocks, and tight. I am in 2nd nearly all day and the 4 stroke can lug in low RPM where you would be trying to clutch the hell out of 1st gear in a 2 stroke to have enough power.

If the trails you ride are wide open, then a 2 stroke can be fun. But you can't dog it like you can a thumper and some have a wicked steep power band that will spit you off the bike.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
bikenweed said:
Yeah but there is a huge differnce in the way the power is delivered in a 250 two stroke. In 125s the power band is pretty snappy, but on a 250 the throttle is just an on off switch. If you really like the power of a 250 but you want to ride woods I'd say 450, but it really isn't needed.

I ride my yz250f on some pretty tech single track (ie lots of rocks roots, downed trees) and when ever my buddy witht the two stroke 250 comes riding with us he gets his ass handed to him because there is nothing low down to muscle you over obstacles when you aren't in high rpms.

Seriously, just get a fourstroke your neighbors will thank you, you won't have to mix gas, and they don't smell (although I love twostroke smoke for somereason), and if you live in cali they won't rape you over getting a green sticker.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
jimmydean said:
I guess the trails I ride are a bit more than what you guys are on. Around Brown's Camp, you will see maybe 1 or 2 bikes that are 2 stroke the whole day. And the dude on the 2 stroke is getting his ass handed to him the whole time.

The trails near my house are steep, roots, rocks, and tight. I am in 2nd nearly all day and the 4 stroke can lug in low RPM where you would be trying to clutch the hell out of 1st gear in a 2 stroke to have enough power.

If the trails you ride are wide open, then a 2 stroke can be fun. But you can't dog it like you can a thumper and some have a wicked steep power band that will spit you off the bike.
It is all in the gearing...while there are more four strokes than ever you still see alot of two's in New England woods...that is why they make enduro bikes.....low end power and traction...

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
dan wask said:
I ride my yz250f on some pretty tech single track (ie lots of rocks roots, downed trees) and when ever my buddy witht the two stroke 250 comes riding with us he gets his ass handed to him because there is nothing low down to muscle you over obstacles when you aren't in high rpms..
Your friend is obviously not as good a rider....the difference in the woods is not that big....

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It kind of depends on how much money you're looking to spend. You can find some deals (new and used) on 2-stokes right now. Even the hardcore 2-stroke guys are making the switch to the 4-stroke. Which means that a ton of people are selling their 2-strokes.

To be honest, you would have a lot of fun on the 4-stroke, say a CRF250 or the YZF250. However, they do come at a price, which is quite a bit more than a 2-stroke.

I haven't ridden a KTM 2-stroke, but I did ride a friend's YZ125, and it packed a pretty decent punch. Not to mention that the suspension was super plush...it smoothed out whoop sections better than any motocycle I had ever ridden.

To be honest, I have seen some used 125s for cheap...like $1500 cheap for like an '03 or '04. Remember, rebuilding a 2-stroke isn't very expensive or very hard to do.