Quantcast

Which new brake?: X0/XX, XTR race/trail, RO/The Ones, other?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I'm in the market for some new stoppers.

I'm a bit of a loser, so lightweight is a top priority.

But I'm a realist too, so it's not the only priority. I want something that's going to last, and be minimal maintenance. My current 2009 The Ones have served me for over 3 years without a single bleed! The rotors are pretty tired though, and the levers have a lot of slop in them, and I fancy something shiny and new.

Any experience/thoughts welcomed!

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
The new XTR Trail brakes (160 f/r) have done nothing but impress me. For the first time, I feel that my brakes are on auto-pilot, rather than something that I have to think about while riding.

The new XO brakes were on the rig before replacing with the XTR and there was definitely a very spongey feel to them.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
The new XTR Trail brakes (160 f/r) have done nothing but impress me. For the first time, I feel that my brakes are on auto-pilot, rather than something that I have to think about while riding.

The new XO brakes were on the rig before replacing with the XTR and there was definitely a very spongey feel to them.
Do you think the XTRs have more bite and overall power compared to the XOs??

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Another vote for XTR Trail brakes. I have them on two bikes and they never cease to amaze. Bled once when the hose lengths were adjusted and flawless ever since.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
My current 2009 The Ones have served me for over 3 years without a single bleed! The rotors are pretty tired though, and the levers have a lot of slop in them, and I fancy something shiny and new.
I've just gone from the same brake to the RO's. The change up is impressive - immense power, loads of control, and I like the radial brake feel at the lever end. True one finger braking (like the Ones, but moar). On sustained steep stuff they are incredible, zero fade, no cooking, loads of control, still one finger friendly. The MC's are massive and look very impressive in the flesh. Polish up the RO bling and you'll be blinding fellow riders in the sunshine, yes they are that shiny.

You buy, now. Moar power. Moar shiny.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Elixer 9's seem to be the way to go if you want to go with Avid. The XX/X0 might weigh a little bit less but my friend who has XX's wants to trade me for my 9's and that will not be happening. The new saints are pretty sick though.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I had Formula MY11 The Ones on my Intense M9 and they worked well. In January I decided to change to the Formula RO's and they have been out of this world!!! Gnarbar pretty much summed it up, tons of power, modulation and zero fade!!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I went from XTRs back to The Ones. Purely for the weight saving. The extra power is a plus too. I don't really like the Formula lever pivot location, but it's not enough to keep me off them.
I went from new XTs on my trail bike to NOS Juicy 7s because they're lighter, and have more adjustments, and are stupid cheap now. I think they're a better brake than Elixers, but Formulas are better again. Go with what you know, go Formula IMO.

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Another vote for the RO! I rode various Oros, all model years of the Ones and I have to say the RO is a big improvement over the Ones (lots of power!!!). The only downside are the Formula rotors which tend to flex a lot. Therefore now I ride the RO brakes with the new Avid rotors - bullet proof set up!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I like that bikeradar have done something quantitative like that, but I feel it's not enough data to draw any conclusions from, and I don't really trust the source either.

There's that german MTB mag who have a history of doing lots of technical tests and publishing the results - have they put anything out about brakes recently? I forget it's name, if I ever knew it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like that bikeradar have done something quantitative like that, but I feel it's not enough data to draw any conclusions from, and I don't really trust the source either.

There's that german MTB mag who have a history of doing lots of technical tests and publishing the results - have they put anything out about brakes recently? I forget it's name, if I ever knew it.
iirc, the full shimano sets took top honors, over even 810s. ie, slx brakes tested better than anything else on the market besides XT and XTR.

I haven't heard a bad thing yet about the new shimano stuff, and I love the old shimano stuff.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I think both big german MTB mags (BIKE, Mountain Bike) do test brakes in a scientific way, e.g. in a laboratory situation where they first brake them in and then check max. power, modulation and such and after that see where the limits are. Nothing available online though. :-(

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
i hate the ro, ever rode in a group with one? they are ****ing anoying loud, especially with the formula rotors.
I have had some noise now and then, just after initial breaking in period. could not isolate the cause, maybe wet/dry transition, coming off a hot braking section to fast open section, not sure exactly what caused it. did not affect performance at all. seemed to have gone now.

anyways, better a bit of noise than hearing people complain about their brakes, consistent turkey gobble warble, and/or having to wait for peoples (brand name withheld) brakes to cool down cuz they be cooking and roasting like a turkey at Thanksgiving.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Anything except Sram brakes. I hated my XO brakes for DH, XX for Dh is sure death

I have the RO and love them! Nothing bad about them! Amazing power, good looks, good adjustments

Saints are awesome, especially the 2013. Super strong and really nice looking. I have a friend with the XTR brakes for DH, they are also amazing! Really strong

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I have had some noise now and then, just after initial breaking in period. could not isolate the cause, maybe wet/dry transition, coming off a hot braking section to fast open section, not sure exactly what caused it. did not affect performance at all. seemed to have gone now.

anyways, better a bit of noise than hearing people complain about their brakes, consistent turkey gobble warble, and/or having to wait for peoples (brand name withheld) brakes to cool down cuz they be cooking and roasting like a turkey at Thanksgiving.
my cousin has the ro's, after testing my new slx he wants them now too.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009

BIKE magazine.

Dunno about recent tests as I haven't picked one up in 5 years..

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Has anyone tried running The Ones on RT86 ice-tech rotors? Wondering how the pad depth and rotor brake-surface depth compare, or if it would be a poor match-up.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm currently leaning towards a new set of The Ones.

Have decided sram/avid are not worth looking at, so it comes down to Formulas or Shimanos for me.

ROs seem to get more noise complaints than the ones, don't look as bling, and weigh a bit more.

XTR/XT/m820 quite tempting though. Can only find lever+hose+caliper weights for XTR really though, does anyone here know how much heavier the XTs and Saints are?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Thanks!

For reference XTR trail comes in at 233g, The Ones at 201g (~226g with the optional FCS adjuster). ROs about 20-30g heavier than The Ones.

I'd guesstimate the saints to be about 310g without the mounting bolts and pad spacer that are included there.

rudywa

Chimp
Jun 26, 2011
Just upgraded to the XTR (Yeti ASR5C)
Amazing brakes!! Cant see you going wrong with that purchase
But thats just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions