Quantcast

Which new crank to buy

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Then either you wear earplugs all the time, or you do not participate in the sport of Downhill Mountain Biking.
Nope. I do around 5 races a year outside of regular riding.. Though if it is that common then I feel special ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Really? Im 240+ and slam my bashguard into everything, never had that problem, or heard of it any more often than... never.

Silly.
No, what is silly is that in this day and age of world cup caliber internet riders that you guys are saying you never seen bent or warped chainring tabs.
You ever seen a flat tire, wet water, or a blue sky?

FYI, its normally not bashguard hits that bends the tabs. Most of them are bent by hitting your crankarm or pedal really hard. I have bent mine by trying to get in pedal strokes in stupid places.
If you backpedal a crankarm and the chainring is wobbling back and forth then the tabs are bent or warped.
It is as common as fat asses at buffets.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
No, what is silly is that in this day and age of world cup caliber internet riders that you guys are saying you never seen bent or warped chainring tabs.

FYI, its normally not bashguard hits that bends the tabs. Most of them are bent by hitting your crankarm or pedal really hard. I have bent mine by trying to get in pedal strokes in stupid places.
If you backpedal a crankarm and the chainring is wobbling back and forth then the tabs are bent or warped.
Boo on the BS E Rider nonsense cop out accusation; Ive ridden hard, a lot, for years, and I *ALSO* post on the internet quite a bit, Im in IT, I like the web, one is not exlusive of the other - that's just a lame antagonistic remark.

I have not personnally bent or know anyone that Im aware of with bent tabs. I think I would have heard of them; forum searches also come up empty. I also have had about 2 flats in the past 5 seasons. Shimano is the only one that seems to think this is a necessity, much like the Lo-Normal derailleurs and so on....

I also wrench on a ton of bikes, and ride with some beasts (where I am a lamb) and no bent tabs. Not that it NEVER happens, but rare as can be.

You bend tabs by hitting the crank arm or pedal? Please explain this magic. I dont know anyone who spends more time on the ground due to pedal/crank strikes..except maybe the Delta Leprechaun.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I'm with huck on that. I tend to hurt gear. Nothing like that ever happened to me. Never heard anything by any of my ridding buddies or at ANY race. Maybe instead of calling people e-racers you need to learn how to pedal? ;)

PS. Why you're so wound up that we didn't see them bend? Never thought cranks can be personal.