Quantcast

Which new DH frame

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
Im looking into getting a new DH frame this year and looking for some opinions. The three frames I am looking at are the Sinister r9, Santa Cruz VP Free, and the Scott High Octane. I want to buy used because i don't want to spend around a thousand dollars. I'm not a pro rider i just ride for fun so I'm looking for some opinions about these frames.
thanks.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
wow those bikes have nothing to do with each other, how did u come up with those choices? sinister is such a nice bike, but good luck finding a used one, people keep them

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
I would go with the scott high octane. it is so versatile and its a great all around bike. I have one and i really like it. plus i got one for sale! :busted:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
You can get plenty of r9's used. Are you planning on racing or just downhilling? If racing, r9 might be the way to go, if its for more all-around riding with a lot of downhilling, the VP free could be the right one.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
The vpfree has too steep a head angle and too high bottom bracket, if you put a shorter shock on it it feels great but only gets 7.5 inches of travel. The r9 is a great frame but the bottom bracket is too high. I dont know anything about the high octane.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
r9's bb is not too high when ran with the proper amount of sag. when i had mine its bb was lower than most Sunday set ups

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
The vpfree has too steep a head angle and too high bottom bracket, if you put a shorter shock on it it feels great but only gets 7.5 inches of travel. The r9 is a great frame but the bottom bracket is too high. I dont know anything about the high octane.
and the linkage ratios get thrown into the pit of despair. don't buy the SC, pretty please, i'll admit the V10 is starting to shape into a better bike every year, i still wouldn't buy it, but it's getting there. the VP Free on the other hand has some of the weirdest geometry ever. the r9 does have a slightly bb, but it will handle better than the Free in all DH race conditions and it still corners very well from what i've gathered, i have no experience though. the high octane is actually a sick bike, scott seems to know their stuff and you can seriously make that bike any bike you want it to be, it's so versatile it is almost scary.

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
sorry about the randomness of the frames, they were just the ones that i liked the best. im kinda new to the sport and didnt know there was a big difference. the frame i currently have i bought cheap and have just out grown it.

I ride mostly in auburn, ca, and at nothstar, and am making a trip to whistler this summer. i dont do any racing or anything. just for fun.

the fork i have for it is a 2007 888 RC2X VA.

hopefully this information will help out.

thanks alot.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
None of them. Sinister is longish, Vp-free is as far from dh as you can get and octane had to many issues.

Get yourself a used izumi or a used 06 dhr that is in classfields for 1100$