Quantcast

Which one? Dt swiss ex511 or spank spike 359

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've not been let down by my ex471s and ex500s before them. but despite being a point n plow kind of rider i'm not super hard on wheels (or else the dtswiss are just pretty good?)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I might be missing something here but comparing Spank rims to DT? What the hell? Spend the extra man unless you like keeping wheel builders employed or something.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I grabbed a 511 I'll lace up tonight.
Problem is we have alot of guys ride spank around here and ride hard with good luck. Aside of being a bit goofy on building em they are happy.
I want to do it as little as possible so I asked....

Yeah been gone for a while, what I knew seems to have evolved In alot of areas....so getting up to speed I read and search but even if I am pretty sure on something I'll ask here as well...

If I can save mistake or 2 along the way because I asked then great Ive saved a shit ton of people time and headaches from avoid obstacles.

Or if there's something I'm not seeing that needs to be done others will have insight...so dumb or not it's usually to make sure I'm not overlooking something

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If the spank has the W profile, you really need to try mounting tape and a tire first before buying. I have one and I’m not a huge fan.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@Jm_ glad to know that..that wasn't one I had heard of....

Yeah I called a few guys and hit up a buddy who's name shall not be named...
They all said what I thought ,not local consensus...got back on here and you guys were on track with them...

So I'm glad I already grabbed It (ex511)...

A shop I know does alot of online and custom wheel builds he was trying to get me to go with the new rf dh 30 that's asymmetrical...
It may work and all but it really would bug me seeing it and it not being centered spokes...

They were stans and race face first... Dt was a last resort.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
does race face make good parts (except for turbine cranks) yet?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
@Jm_ glad to know that..that wasn't one I had heard of....

Yeah I called a few guys and hit up a buddy who's name shall not be named...
They all said what I thought ,not local consensus...got back on here and you guys were on track with them...

So I'm glad I already grabbed It (ex511)...

A shop I know does alot of online and custom wheel builds he was trying to get me to go with the new rf dh 30 that's asymmetrical...
It may work and all but it really would bug me seeing it and it not being centered spokes...

They were stans and race face first... Dt was a last resort.
Jeezus stans and race face rims are trash.

That shops business model is selling shit rims to new endurbros that aren't even riding hard "yeah brah these are the strong ones!" Then when the endurbrah brings it back completely hammered from doing basically nothing "ah brah ya must be shrdding Man, sic, good for you" endurbro proud of his shredding prowess proudly plunks down full price for another garbage rim to be put on.

LoL.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

That shops business model is selling shit rims to new endurbros that aren't even riding hard "yeah brah these are the strong ones!" Then when the endurbrah brings it back completely hammered from doing basically nothing "ah brah ya must be shrdding Man, sic, good for you" endurbro proud of his shredding prowess proudly plunks down full price for another garbage rim to be put on.

LoL.
Lmfao...

Yeah now I knew better than these when looking and asking....I still have an 823 rear...damaged but still going...

Ding ding ding!!!!we have a winner...You have seen this shop model before

He sourced his own hubs (problematic and offered a lifetime warranty, he has discontinued them) had alot come back...
He sourced his own carbon rims with a nifty seam down the middle and looks like a abs plastic outer carbon inlay center. Granted they are heavier but "PASS"...

By the way I found out all this in an hour of being there....lmao..

I finish truing tomorrow and tensioning

20210831_221811.jpg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

LoL.
there's a local trail FB group I belong to that's filled with these guys. someone was asking for recommendations for rims, and you'd have thought i'd killed a kitten the way these dudes responded when i told them stans rims are made of cheese.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Spank make some nice colors but if you want to ride the bike instead of look at it. I'd go DT Swiss. My wife rides gingerly and weights 145lbs and bent the crop out of the Race Face rims that came on her bike. I've had surprisingly good luck with Heavy layup Light Bicycle carbon. Almost every one in my area also uses inserts and DD tires.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I ran a Flow EX3 rim on the back of my DH bike this summer. Not that many days on it yet, but it shrugged off quite a few bad lines/loud clangs at N* and Mammoth. Helps that it's 580g for a 27.5.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i told them stans rims are made of cheese.
I'm pretty sure their freehub bodies are made of the same cheese, just slightly softened in the oven first. I've killed three, and friends of mine have done the same. They're utterly hopeless.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, they gave me a couple on warranty but now I just don't run them. Free warranty replacements are great but not having rides ruined by crappy parts is better.
Crank Brothers business model.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
They were all made of cheese when you were a 220lb hack.

Trashed rims
DT Swiss - check
Mavic - check
WTB - check
Sun - check
etc... - check
Spank - working on it :brows:

Face it, we broke everything, and the trend will continue. Now it tends to be cracked crabon that gets the press.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm pretty sure their freehub bodies are made of the same cheese, just slightly softened in the oven first. I've killed three, and friends of mine have done the same. They're utterly hopeless.
Yeah I'd never ever suggest one. I had one lunch itself, with no warning, days before leaving on a bike trip.

And it left me walking out of a mosquito infested swamp at the furthest part of the forest. Ugh!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Unless DT has changed their metal compounds lately (and judging my my neighbor's luck with them on his Smash, they haven't), they're not much better than Alex/ Transition/ Azonic. They ding real easy and straighten a few times before shitting the bed. IMO, Spank are somewhere between that and Mavic for ding resistance. I've had great luck with Spank rims, I wouldn't spend extra unless it was carbon, and they came with a lifetime warranty.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It sounds like flexible rubber rims would be the best for you guys, then no dents or dings. We've narrowed down the problem to metal and CF.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
Have three sets of 350/359 vibrocore. Def solid but the vertical compliance causes it to come out of tension a lot quicker (even with the right nips) if you ride really hard. I also felt like I lost a bit of pop in the park. Just built up two sets of the new nuke proof horizon V2 in heavy duty/rear for both and have been supremely impressed. A buddy of mine just killed his next carbon DH rim and built a v2 horizon rear wheel and has also been very impressed.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Had a set for a short period.
Broke the bike, and it went back under warranty.
Wanted to keep the wheels. :(
Man those were the shit when I was young...mongoose or redline bike and the mags...if you bent it stick it on freezer and it straightened out...I had a cobra bmx custom race bike my dad had made and built...it sat cause I had mx bikes...figured why would I waste my time pedaling when I could throttle..

Man those were the good days of summer as a kid...did hit the BMX track...

Funny how those rims bring back thoughts of old....that's awesome

Last edited: