Votes: 15 78.9%
  • 1995 Ford Explorer

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have 2 vehicles. One of which may have to go cuz I don't need 2 vehicles. I have loaner at work that I can use anytime if my chosen vehicles breaks down.

Vehicle 1:
1988 Honda Accord LX
Salvage Title
199,000 miles
2.0L, 4cyl
2bbl carb
automatic
needs a new EGR Valve
needs a new electronic choke
gets 30-32 MPG
dents everywhere
clear coat is chipping
no hub caps
needs shocks/struts
needs engine mounts

Vehicle 2:
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Clean Title
4.0L, 6cyl, 2wd
141,000 miles
Fuel Injected
Automatic
Going to need a transmission overhaul soon
gets 15-20 mpg
super clean paint
matching wheels

If/when I sell one, I can use the cash to fix up the other. I'm stuck cuz the honda has been a great car and gets great gas mileage, but it's starting to show it's age. The explorer has a hitch and would be a great shuttle car but is a maintenance hog.

BTW... I'm a mechanic.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
sell both and get a beater Toyota truck ;)

Honestly I'd keep the Honda to avoid Ford's self destructing auto trannies and fuel pumps with a bad habit of starting fires ;)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
sell both and get a beater Toyota truck ;)

Honestly I'd keep the Honda to avoid Ford's self destructing auto trannies and fuel pumps with a bad habit of starting fires ;)
:stupid:

My truck was $3200 and I couldn't be happier. I found ones for cheaper, but my truck only has 123k miles and for a '94, that's NOTHING. I should get about 20mpg on average once the mods are done.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
sell both and buy a used toyota truck? The tranny on the exploder is f*in expensive.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ditch the honda and fix the tranny in the Ford. how bad is it now? fixing the tranny would be cheaper than struts, egr, choke and engine mounts, right?..especially if you do the tranny yourself.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
it's an auto, I looked into it for my dad. SOOOOOOO not worth the time/money spent

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The exploder has resale value, albeit pretty low. I can't imagine somebody paying more than 1000 bucks for the accord with a salvage title and almost 200k miles on it. I love hondas but come on...that thing is on its last leg, and any money you put into is just going to fall off on something else.

That being said, the fjord is no better...I think the best advice would be to sell one, sell the other, drive the loaner for a week, pick up a used hatchback of some kind, like a civic or yota, then get another 5 years out of the car. I would think you could get maybe 4gs out of both...maybe.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Torque converter clutch and clutch pack 3 is slippin on the explorer. Overdrive is intermittent at best but it passes smog great and the interior is pretty clean.

Since I do the work myself, the cost of each is about the same, but the tranny build would take longer than the honda repair.

For me, it's a toss up.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Torque converter clutch and clutch pack 3 is slippin on the explorer. Overdrive is intermittent at best but it passes smog great and the interior is pretty clean.

Since I do the work myself, the cost of each is about the same, but the tranny build would take longer than the honda repair.

For me, it's a toss up.
but can you throw all your bikes in the honda?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

For me, it's a toss up.
but can you throw your bikes in the honda?

..or want to be seen in a Honda

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
as opposed to being seen on the side of the road in a broken Ford?:busted:
hahaha

Going by looks alone, the explorer will get me more dates compared to the accord.... but.... will driving the explorer drain what little cash I have (me being a new business owner and all) and restrict me from going out on dates?

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
You could probably probably pick up a later model civic for what the Explorer is worth. Pick one with a 5spd from '88 or later and you're golden. The injected d series cars are nuke proof. Then you could sell the Accord for enough to buy an alarm and a club for the civic.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You could probably probably pick up a later model civic for what the Explorer is worth. Pick one with a 5spd from '88 or later and you're golden. The injected d series cars are nuke proof. Then you could sell the Accord for enough to buy an alarm and a club for the civic.
the man speaketh