Quantcast

which pedals?

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by rbx
i was thinking about the odyssey southgate pedals...any other suggestions are welcomed:)
Pass on those. I have heard from many sources that they are crap. Personally I run S and M platforms which rock but I hear that they arent going to be made anymore. The Ringle zuzu pedals look comparable but I have never been a fan of smashing up $45. But if the concave platform look is what you are goin for I would say keep it simple and go Primo.

BUG

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
CoSprings, Colorado
the Primo Super Tenderizer is a great pedal. I'v egot like 4 sets of them, Loved them from teh first time i spun a crank with them on a buddies bike. They have a nice concave body, and replacable pins. They pedal grind great. The only major problem they use to have was the berings were crap. all you had to do was replace them... but now with the sealed versions not costing to much I'd go that route. I run them on all my bmx bikes one of my MTB and I've got a pair I swap out with cages on one of my race bikes and on on eof my x country MTB when I get to the top of the hill and point down.

It's a nice platform pedal.

...but if you want to go the cage route, for mud clearance and supposed grip, Welgo makes a really good generic cage pedal for like $20 ( pro deals like 10) great pedal really cheap

one thing to watch out for on the DX style pedal is bracing on the sides, if you like to ride skateparks or street with alot and grinding you are bound to crack or break part of the body if its not braced well. I went through 3 grind side pedals before I learned that.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
The Primos are nice but they have "replaceable" pins...meaning good luck trying to replace them. I like Tioga pedals or any pedal that uses the larger diameter set screws. They seem to stack up better to grinding and give great traction even wet. I've got Primo's on my bike now and if they get wet, fugetaboutit. Plus on the primos the pins on the sides that aren't replaceable (relative term here) get ground down QUICK.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
i used to run Primo Super Tenderizer but have recently changed to DMR V8s, i like the grubscew/replaceable pins but i like the concave shape of the primo. just have a look what all the BMX guys are running and you'll find out what is popular and suited to the local conditions.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Antix make a really nice platform pedals with huge pins. I've hadf my set for 2 years now and they are awesome. Feet stick like glue to the pedal. I have a set of primo super tenderizers still sitting in the box cuz i'm scared they aren't going to be as good as my beloved antix. Time will tell i guess.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...than the Azonic A-Frame? You can get 'em for $55 on the internet, they've got bulletproof axles and bearings, the bodies don't disintegrate on rocks and they have very good grip until you grind off all the pins. A number of companies are making their own version of the same thing, now- Sun/Ringle, Kona, Wellgo, etc.

dogtown666

Chimp
Nov 24, 2002
eastcoast canada
I've been use'n DK iron cross, they are big, but have a very flat surface. I use 'em for DJ/DH/URBAN and in the woodz and been use'n them for 2 years now.

use some skate shoes and your feet stick!

:dead:

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I run zu zu's and they work well, but some of the pins are not replacable and if you ride in rocky terrain you will end up braking off thin the sections of the pedal. The new octane cures the braking problem, but not sure about the replacable pins.

May 23, 2002
Dallas TX
Originally posted by dogtown666
I've been use'n DK iron cross, they are big, but have a very flat surface. I use 'em for DJ/DH/URBAN and in the woodz and been use'n them for 2 years now.

use some skate shoes and your feet stick!

:dead:
Has anyone else used the Iron Crosses? I've been thinking about getting a pair and want some input on how they've performed for people.

Thanks,
John

Phatswalla

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...than the Azonic A-Frame? You can get 'em for $55 on the internet, they've got bulletproof axles and bearings, the bodies don't disintegrate on rocks and they have very good grip until you grind off all the pins. A number of companies are making their own version of the same thing, now- Sun/Ringle, Kona, Wellgo, etc.
A-Frame is my vote as well. It may be 20 or so more than the Zu-Zus but I have both and there is no comparison.