Quantcast

Which Platforms are best?

Bulloch

Chimp
May 20, 2003
Raleighwood, NC
I have Azonic Fusion Pedals. They're sweet, light pedal and grip great, until..... If you hit anything like rocks then the pedals just peel apart where the foot pins screw in and it completely destroys the hole where the threads once were. I guess magnesium is too soft to make a hardcore pedal out of... anyway no pins means no traction.

What pedals outhere have replaceable pins that won't give me the same problem. I once saw not too long ago a slim line platform pedal. Very light and only as thick as the axle throught the center of the pedal. Anyone know who makes it and where I can get some?:monkey:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Bulloch
Thanks MotionBoy...I was surfin' deep in the net and found what I was looking for. www.atomlab.com has the Atomic Lab Aircorp pedals. The Low profile, grip like hell pedals.
I'd suggest you do a search on this site about platforms. The AtomLabs pedals have a reputation for riding great, but falling apart. Their spindle and bearing design isn't the best, although the body itself is pretty sweet.

There's a ton of opinions if you look 'em up. Seems like lots of folks like the Eastons, Ringle Octanes, and the Wellgo Mags thatare marketed under various names... I have Zuzus and like 'em, but I don't do grinds.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Your pedals will always end up jacked---so buy cheap ones!

There's a set of thin ones that were marketed by 24 cycles, I think, for like $100, but go under the man-o-war generic BMX label for like $30...looking to find a set myself.

They Weyless/Wellgo pedals are great, too. (until you shear all the pins out, which happens regardless of how much you paid.)

MD

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Pressed in pins get slick in the rain. I like the Shimano DX's. I use clipless most of the time. I have mangled a few pins on rocks, but thye still grip well.

BIG_MAN_290

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
i've been using some freeagent sealed bearing pedals for well over a year now. the pedal body is machined out of a single piece of aluminum. i'm a close to 300 lb rider, and i've never had any problems with the bearings or the axles bending or anything.the pins in them are still huge and grip your shoes liek you wouldn't believe. i've never lost any pins either (probably because i lock - tighted all the pins when i bought them)

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
i have atomic lab ballistics and atomics taking them back. i don't reconmend them. i don't recomend any pedals from atom lab. i have a pair of $30 sun pedals w/ replaceable pins and have been beating the F out of them for a couple of years. i have a less pins then when i got them but that happens. when those pins bash into rocks they're gonna get F-ed up. if you have a problem bashing pedals in regularly then by some cheaper ones.

Bulloch

Chimp
May 20, 2003
Raleighwood, NC
Hey thank yall for all the info. I did do quit a bit of investigation on the atom lab pedals and heard lots of horror stories about the pedals falling apart. So I appreciate the heads up on that. Happy riding...peace out.:cool:

UnabikeR

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
Green Bay and Marquette
Atomlabs have taken care of the bearing problems. The Aircorp is the best pedal I've tried yet - it's very thin and grips very well. I had a pair of Kore platforms which were pretty good as well except that the pins were very fragile - I ended up tapping them out for bigger pins. The I started sharpening the pins to a razor sharp point. It finally got to the point where I was afraid of bailing and having those spikes come after me. The Aircorp pins are larger diameter, but if you hit them hard enough they will bend. Replacing them with stainless steel cap screws and set screws helps a bit. Anything will bend if you hit it hard enough. I personally would rather replace a pin or three every once in awhile than have to constantly be swapping out cages. 24 Bikes makes a pedal called the Toaster which looks pretty cool (really big platform) and is about $20 cheaper than a pair of Aircorps. Unreal Cycles has 'em.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I have a pair of the Azonic Fusions also... aside from losing a couple of pins from smacking on rock, I like them. I'd probably like them even more if the bearings were sealed.

Is there any way to retro some kind of cartridge bearing?

Alos, what about a pedal like the Azonic A-Frame clipless? I've seen a lot of these combo pedals, but it didn't sound like any of them really worked too well.. anyone out there have any experience with these?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by monkey_mullet
I have a pair of the Azonic Fusions also... aside from losing a couple of pins from smacking on rock, I like them. I'd probably like them even more if the bearings were sealed.

Is there any way to retro some kind of cartridge bearing?

Alos, what about a pedal like the Azonic A-Frame clipless? I've seen a lot of these combo pedals, but it didn't sound like any of them really worked too well.. anyone out there have any experience with these?
Theu work best with BMX style smooth soled clipless shoes. Smooth=easy to get in, and the flexy sole means your weight is supported by the cage, not just the cleat.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I like my Sun Zulu's. They grib pretty dang well, have withstood a dozen or so hard smacks into rocks/roots/etc. and I haven't lost a pin yet...just a lil' paint. Oh yeah, they're cheap.

I've also found that the shoes you wear make a huge difference. Get some with really sticky rubber and preferablly flat sole. Makes a difference larger than what pedals you're using I think.

Feb 26, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by TCoop924
I like my Sun Zulu's. They grib pretty dang well, have withstood a dozen or so hard smacks into rocks/roots/etc. and I haven't lost a pin yet...just a lil' paint. Oh yeah, they're cheap.

I've also found that the shoes you wear make a huge difference. Get some with really sticky rubber and preferablly flat sole. Makes a difference larger than what pedals you're using I think.
I've had back luck with Zuzus. They broke when I smacked a rock. Same thing happed to two other friends that ran them. All three broke in the same spot.

Also, the pair I bought was missing one of the seals on the bearings.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Check out the new Truvativ Holzfeller pedals. They're just releasing them now. Well thought out - super low profile, nice pins that you can actually replace, big a$$ bearings, good sized azle and a really nice looking finish.

Not sure how much they're gonna cost though.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I went through several pedals in 6 months and finally found a set that last under my 250 pound unsmooth riding. Wellgo. The cheap sealed ones, they have lasted 3 months of solid riding which is by far the longest lasting. And I knock my pedals almost every ride. Quite happy with the cheap stuff :)

J

Joe33

I vouch for Wellgo. I've had a set for almost 2 years now, the've out lasted 3 sets of cranks and only lost one pin. "which I suppose I could replace if I was to get another stud and the hardware store."