Quantcast

Which RockShox damper do I want?

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I can't keep up with RockShox madness...I want 150mm travel, air spring, tapered steer, AND a 20mm Maxle. Why is that so hard?! It changes every year, I don't see any Revelations with a 20mm Maxle for 2013.

So I'm looking to pick up a used Sektor TK, solo air, tapered steer, and 20mm maxle...a turn key damper is not gonna fly. So What damper listed below do I need? A simple high and low compression would be best, no need for lockout or a remote.

https://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/FK/FKSP/RS

I can use any Revelation, Pike, or Reba damper?

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
For under $300? Sure, I'll send you my mailing address.

Wait! before you ship it...remove a pound worth of speed holes.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
why bother changing the damper. I doubt the reba one will fit, as theres no 150mm travel reba. The sektor is the new pike so there gonna pretty much have the same damper if anything the turnkey in the sektor will be better than what ever the one in the pike was called. As for the revelation damper its probably the possible only upgrade. Idealy you want a a mission control from a lyric r2c2 dh but thats not gonna fit either

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
why bother changing the damper. I doubt the reba one will fit, as theres no 150mm travel reba. The sektor is the new pike so there gonna pretty much have the same damper if anything the turnkey in the sektor will be better than what ever the one in the pike was called. As for the revelation damper its probably the possible only upgrade. Idealy you want a a mission control from a lyric r2c2 dh but thats not gonna fit either
whats the diff between the sektor and the revelation? they did away with the pike when they introduced the 20mm axle option for the revelation because then they were literally the same fork.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
You're gonna want the Revelation RLT MoCo-DNA (RC) damper or RC3 damper(I haven't used the RC3, can't comment on it), not sure if the Sektor and Revelation rebound assemblies are the same, but if they aren't you're gonna want the Revelation/dual-flow rebound assembly as well.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
You're gonna want the Revelation RLT MoCo-DNA (RC) damper or RC3 damper(I haven't used the RC3, can't comment on it), not sure if the Sektor and Revelation rebound assemblies are the same, but if they aren't you're gonna want the Revelation/dual-flow rebound assembly as well.
With the exception of the black box Ti tube damper that is what I have in my 2011 Revelation RLT Ti, it's a great fork.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If they'll fit (and I think they will assuming you have all the other bits in there... not sure what the TK damper/rod looks like), either one of these will do the trick:
RS-3785 2013 Revelation RLT MoCo-DNA (RC) damper YES
RS-3722 2012 Revelation RCT3 MoCo-DNA (NR) damper

Last edited:

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Alright so...
RS-3785 2013 Revelation RLT MoCo-DNA (RC) damper is for a remote (RC=remote compatible), can it be used without a remote???

RS-3722 2012 Revelation RCT3 MoCo-DNA (NR) damper has 3 damping positions which I don't need and is twice the cost.

I think I need this guy...RS-3919 05-12 Pike, Revelation, Reba (09-11)* MoCo-DNA (NR) damper

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, you can use it w/o the remote, however your compression will be all the way open... unless you modify the damper (like I did on an 09 reba) to remove the spring, then you'll be able to just manually turn the knob on top of the fork by hand.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Been going through this for months. 2010 they made some tapered 20mm, then 2011/12 they went to 15mm on the Rev and options for 20mm on the Sektor. I finally bought a tapered 15mm and converted my Hope hubs. I'm converting mine to a u-turn coil. The Rev and Sektor share the same body, 2011/12 not sure about 2013. Parts are interchangeable, oil volumes differ some because of the damper length. The RLT in mine is very similar to the Pike MoCo, but has the BB Tech and clicks when you move it.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
You want this one.

http://www.bikeman.com/FK7350.html

RockShox MoCo RLT DNA for MY10-Current Revel Crown LO

That damper will pop right in. If I recall, the difference between oil volumes should only be a couple ml. Easy enough to even just swap in some fresh oil in the upper and just swap the damper carts if you don't feel like doing a full tear down/oil change.

Cheap OEM Sektor Solo Air 20mm + sweet deal on a Revelation tapered CSU + swapping this damper in = sweetly riding fork for less cash (though a little work) than an equivelant Revelation. It's light, stiff, travel and damping feel great, didn't cost a ton.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
JensonUSA was having a crazy sale on 2011 Revelation WCs and XXs (carbon tapered steerer), but sadly the 20mm version appears to be sold out (I bought a 15mm myself a few months back).

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
My 29" HT has a 120mm Recon Gold TK, tapered, 20mm. I want to replace the compression damper. The rebound is the same, correct?

Is the Reba Moco RLT the damper to get for this fork?
http://www.bikeman.com/FK7348.html
What is the difference between the Reba/sid dampers and the Revelation dampers. OAL?
http://www.bikeman.com/FK7350.html
The Rev is $83 vs. $103 for Reba.

I also thought about replacing the rockshox dust wiper/oil seal combo with Fox low friction seals. Good idea? I change the oil in my lowers regularly.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Dur, forgot Rockshox only do oil seals & dust wipers or boxxers, lyrics, totems. The Fox 32mm low friction seals are exact size as the rockshox seals, direct swap. Fork feels alot better, but it needed lowers service so it's hard to say. The black lowers look better with black fox seals, instead of grey RS, so there's that.

The air seals on the spring side seem to be going out. When you wiggle the shaft, you get a "psst" and some oil weepage. I'm gonna order air seals and compression damper.

Still trying to figure out RS compression dampers. Are they different lengths for 26" vs 29"?

I'm leaning toward that Revelation Moco RLT damper, but want to be sure it will work.