Quantcast

Which top quality bag pack for trekking ?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I have destroyed a few bagpacks lately (the shoulder straps have been ripped off or the zippers have died) and I am now out to find a bag pack. I have mostly used Oakley and Lowe Apline untill now, but I wonder if I can find better quality elsewhere. I am looking for something in thr 40-15 litre range and it has to be burly and be able to hold up for some tough trekking. Advice need.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
IT's more the design that is the issue than anything else. Don't buy a pack where the shoulders straps are inserted into the top seam. It's as simple as that. They should be anchored to the back panel instead.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I have 2 arc'teryx bora packs and both have seen lots of use and abuse. They can be pricey, but they're a good investment IMO.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
look into gregory, osprey, or granite gear packs. they all make high quality packs that can handle plenty of abuse.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Take a look at the Dana Designs packs too, they have one of the best hip belts out there
A while ago, Dana Designs made a great product. I thought the packs stop being produced recently though. I know that the original designer moved on and created another brand - Mystery something or other I think.

*edit* - Here ya go. They look very similar to the older Dana packs, but pricey.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Toughest? Jandd.
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FZA

Warrantied for life.

I've had mine since 1992. It's been on every weekend backpacking trip and almost every tour I've done with the band.

Still looks brand new.

Not the most comfortable out there but absolutely the most over-built and durable.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
A while ago, Dana Designs made a great product. I thought the packs stop being produced recently though. I know that the original designer moved on and created another brand - Mystery something or other I think.

*edit* - Here ya go. They look very similar to the older Dana packs, but pricey.
Dana is no more *snif* K2 was opperating them for a while. When they bought Marmot they incorperated them into the marmot line. I think it's still under the Dana name, but technically it's a Marmot product. The new Mystery Ranch stuff is rockin.

I think in Denmark you should have an easy time finding Millet, and MacPack stuff. Which is pretty nice in the 40L catagory.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
arcteryx has a pretty sweet design where the bag is lifted off your back via a metal frame system (of sorts). my prof had one a few years back and loved it. i have a kelty (larger bag) and a northface (day back) both of which have withstood some serious abuse. the kelty is really comfy as well and has held 75-100lbs of rock sample for 8 hour hikes.