Quantcast

Which torque wrench to buy?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Don't bother getting a bike brand one hey - most are just overpriced and crap. Mine's a Norbar, which comes with a calibration cert and a good warranty. Shop around for one in the range that suits your requirements.

Also, jump on ebay and grab a set of square to hex driver adaptors. Most torque wrenches are square drive - either 1/4" or 3/8", and it is easier to use the premade adaptors for allen key bolts.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I was thinking about Shimano PRO/LifeLine Proffesional torque wrench. Anyone use them? Have heard great opinions about them.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I own the Pedro's Demi which IIRC is good from 3-20nm. It was on sale but still pricey ($100?) but included some bits in common bike part sizes.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I've found this article http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-torque-wrench-for-bicycle-grouptest-46517/

Shimano PRO seems like a good choice (aprox. 95$ in here). The cheapes I could find, "the same", less fancy branded - "XLC" wrench for 78$ has 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6mm allen bits and T25 torx, where the Shimano wrench has 3 / 4 / 5 / 6mm allen bits T25/T30 torxes and an extension. It looks like shimano one comes with a more useful range of bits + I suppose I don't have to worry in terms of warranty.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Alright, so I gotta ask, what are you guys torquing that you need such an exact value? Carbon bits?

I've had the old school Park TW-1 since like the 90's. I only bought that because stupid square taper bottom brackets.

I'm a lover of tools, but have had a hard time justifying a new torque wrench since I've had no symptoms of needing one. Please convince me to spend my money ;)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I use them for -

- Suspension pivot bolts, especially if the pivots use bushings. Often times there's a specific range that keeps bolts from backing out while not adding too much friction from overloading and avoiding creaking.
- Non-Shimano crank arm bolts. I hate having crank arm bolts back out mid-ride.
- Shock hardware on some frames that are temperamental about having enough torque. This one is rare, but my Knolly Delirum needs at least 17nm on the shock hardware otherwise there's play.

I use a beam style torque wrench because I know I won't get a ratcheting one calibrated regularly.

Last edited:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Alright, so I gotta ask, what are you guys torquing that you need such an exact value? Carbon bits?

I've had the old school Park TW-1 since like the 90's. I only bought that because stupid square taper bottom brackets.

I'm a lover of tools, but have had a hard time justifying a new torque wrench since I've had no symptoms of needing one. Please convince me to spend my money ;)
95% suspension linkages

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
crank arm bolts - those are the worst to have issues with mid ride and i'll never get them tight enough with a normal sized hex wrench.

suspension pivots - too much potential for very costly issues if something loosens or backs out completely.

stem bolts - have you seen how little material there is on some stem clamping surfaces? too little range between too loose and shit starts spinning and too tight and fatiguing my lifeline.

never had issues because torque wrench - witnessed each issue numerous times because no torque wrench.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
FWIW, if you do own a shop and need something like this, one of the benefits of something like Snap-On is that they would come to you and I believe they re-calibrate for free. I have a 1/2" clicker from them that wasn't that expensive relatively.

Obviously for garage wrench turners, it might not matter as much, but @troy might benefit from a truck brand for something like this. Full service is worth the extra premium sometimes.

The rest of them really are that generic, it probably wouldn't matter and there are instrument services you can either find locally or mail into for calibration.

Snap-On is about $300, and honestly cheaper if you get it off the truck. Those guys usually have leeway.

https://store.snapon.com/US-Torque-Instruments-in-lb--Torque-Wrench-Adj-Click-Type-U-S-Fixed-Ratchet-10-50-in-lb-1-4-drive-P640948.aspx

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fox transfer posts so you can drive to Watsonville and chuck the post through the window wrapped in a picture of you torquing it.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I bought a MAC tools digital torque wrench. I wanted something accurate to torque the angular contact bearings in my Santa Cruz bikes. I no longer have that issue....

I may have bought another snap-on if my dealer wasn't a total scumbag who is unwilling to work any kind of deal. I have a snap-on digital torque/angle wrench for work (bmw stuff)

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have both a 3/8 inch pound and a 1/2" foot pound from my days working on carz - so I am covered in the shop.

However for the toolbox that goes with me to the dh place, I have one of these.

Works great for tightening the Ti bolts on my 888 after putting the front wheel back on post transport, or if I just happen to need to retorque my syntace crabon barz (deathwish approved :monkey:)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How many of you get your ratcheting torque wrenches calibrated annually?
I can get it done through work for free so yeah why not. It's never needed adjustment so far though.

And why do I have one? So I can submit a copy of the calibration cert with any warranty claim i need because the first thing any Aussie distro will say is that a part wasn't torqued correctly.

Truthfully, they only need to be used on a handful of applications. Most stuff just gets tightened till it feels right.

• Rear axle on the Tracer
  • Brake calipers, and sometimes rotor bolts
  • Stem
  • Lug nuts on motor vehicles
I think my current library includes four or five torque wrenches of various capacities and drive sizes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Okay, I get it. Now I do remember some SC Hightower owners complain that if their pivot pieces aren't exactly to spec it'll creak. So finicky. Is that what the industry has come to? What happened to "tight" or "snug"? Lawyers? Lizards?

Anyways, if I gotta make sure my water bottle mount is exactly 4.2837 n/m, I better do it. :monkey:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Bikes got lighter, connection points got thinner, torque values got more important. That and carbon, carbon is finicky, and killed the titanium market, so aluminum shit got lighter and lighter to compete with teh carbonz and the good strong material was left by the wayside.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Bikes got lighter, connection points got thinner, torque values got more important. That and carbon, carbon is finicky, and killed the titanium market, so aluminum shit got lighter and lighter to compete with teh carbonz and the good strong material was left by the wayside.
steel