Quantcast

Which trip???

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
So my wife and I have this opportunity to go sailing in the British Virgin Islands with 2 other couples. We would charter a boat for a week. I've only been sailing once and this could be a once in a lifetime kinda thing. Cost would only be about $1200 (air fare, food and charter) per person, maybe less.

Here is the catch. One of the couples are my new in-laws. My father-in-law, who is really cool, would actually be the "captain". He is an experienced sailor. My mother-in-law can be a bit a of a pill at times, which is why I'm a little hesitant. The boat would be big, but big enough??

Other trip option: Fly to the Seattle and see some of Washington and Oregon (visit some friends). We couldn't stay as long or do as much, but I've never been to that part of the country.

So... Longer sailing tropical trip with potential Mother-in-law issues, or shorter trip to NW?

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
firetoole said:
the virgin islands are nice but they don't have very good biking

No kidding. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't ride trails. I could probably talk her into riding something extremely tame (lame), but nothing very fun.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
If they were NOT your in-laws, would you choose to spend time with them? Does your mother-in-law irritate you any more than any of your friends' wives?

My husband and I went on a boat trip in AK (Juneau out to Glacier Bay) for 5 days on a 36-foot boat with my mom and dad and aunt and uncle. We had planned to eat the fish we caught and all that. We fished every day and all we caught was a huge starfish and several blocks of broken-off iceberg (glad we had the beans and the PB&J). But it was a GREAT trip because we all like each other and had fun just being together.

If you like your father-in-law and think you would enjoy his company, you would probably enjoy the trip. Like with any of your buddies' wives, all you have to do is be polite to your mother-in-law. Recognize that she probably tries really hard, but perhaps doesn't have the "tools" or the "skillset" to react in ways that would seem more productive (I know NOTHING about her, I'm just drawing on my own mother-in-law experience).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
How recently wed are you? If fairly recent, then this could be an opportunity to 1) Make nice with the in-laws and score brownie points. Let them get to know you on their turf, so to speak. Hang with them, make nice. 2) Build up a nice "bank" to get out of family obligations later. Tell your wife that even though you want to go north, you feel that it's important to spend time with her mom and dad. Should be good for 3 or 4 get out of jail free cards. :D

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
go to oregon.... visit bend .. .rent a bike and ride the McKensie trail (hood river).. repeat for as many days as you can afford it

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
sunny said:
If they were NOT your in-laws, would you choose to spend time with them? Does your mother-in-law irritate you any more than any of your friends' wives?

Recognize that she probably tries really hard, but perhaps doesn't have the "tools" or the "skillset" to react in ways that would seem more productive (I know NOTHING about her, I'm just drawing on my own mother-in-law experience).
Yeah, I'd spend time with them. The thing is they are much more formal than my family. I'm still getting used to that. Actually, my mother-in-law does tend to get under my skin. I haven't been around her 24/7 yet, so it may just be that Im still getting to know her.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Ciaran said:
How recently wed are you? If fairly recent, then this could be an opportunity to 1) Make nice with the in-laws and score brownie points. Let them get to know you on their turf, so to speak. Hang with them, make nice. 2) Build up a nice "bank" to get out of family obligations later. Tell your wife that even though you want to go north, you feel that it's important to spend time with her mom and dad. Should be good for 3 or 4 get out of jail free cards. :D

We got married in July. So we will be at about the 1 year mark when we take this trip (maybe in May maybe in June 2006). It would really be a good way to get to know them. I hadn't thought about the brownie points. Nothing like having a "get out of _______________ free" card.