Quantcast

which videocamera?

kx199

Chimp
Oct 20, 2008
what kind of videocamera/camcorder would be good to get for some kickass footage. HD?(seems like a no brainer) what resolution?, what video type? would like to get into some editing (nothing crazy). just something to mess around with but have good quality footage. mini dv the best?anybody have any suggestions?

thanks

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
camcorderinfo.com

You listed a lot of variables but didnt give any specific info as far as what you're really looking for. Price, size, extent of manual controls, ability for aftermarket lenses, etc.

But I'll toss out that the Canon HV30 is prob one of the better consumer HD cams out there that records to MiniDV. I'd def prefer that over a cam with the built in hard drive.

kx199

Chimp
Oct 20, 2008
size isnt the biggest issue but for price it would need to be under 500. thanks for the input.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
recently picked up a canon hf10. Pretty good, but damned if I can work out a sensible workflow to get good, edited finished work (good meaning nice to look at, not good as in 'deserving of an oscar')

also - had to upgrade my computer to cope with the HD footage... made it a very expensive camera.... watch out for that! :cheers:

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
canon hf 10 also hd, can maybe find it for 600. it is flash, which is more stable than a hard drive and will be more resistant to a drop and easier than dvds and mini dv, the tapes collect dust and get to be very bad and a lot of maintenance to keep them clean. you can get the hf 100 for more like 500, but there is no built in memory and cards will put you back up to the price of the hf 10. and it is very small also.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Nothing wrong with hard drive cams for most consumers. Most of it comes down to the archiving process. I'd rather have all my original footage on MiniDV tapes on a shelf instead of on hard drives (and then on another hard drive in case the first dies). Prob one of the factors keeping me from going to a tapeless format at this point. Not to mention MiniDV tapes are still damn cheap. But my next HD cam will def be tapeless just because capturing footage sucks monkey balls.

Also, depending on the camera, the Hard drive cams record using a different compression format that is slightly less quality than MiniDV cams. Prob not noticeable for the average consumer that will eventually just upload to Vimeo/Youtube
*dont have specifics on compression formast, but i've read that a bunch when I researched a 'backup' camera for myself*