Quantcast

Which way does this mount?

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
I am trying to make an adapter to put a Truvativ box guide on, and I am wondering if I should just order this. There is some adjustment, and it's an urban bike so I am not terribly worried about chain line, but wonder if I am on the right track.

Does the recessed part go to the BB shell side, or the BB lip side?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
whichever way gives you a better chainline and proper spacing for the guide. for dh bikes, its sometimes whichever way wil fit and give you full clearance.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
pepe said:
I am trying to make an adapter to put a Truvativ box guide on, and I am wondering if I should just order this. There is some adjustment, and it's an urban bike so I am not terribly worried about chain line, but wonder if I am on the right track.

Does the recessed part go to the BB shell side, or the BB lip side?

I always set mine up with the recessed part fitting against the shell (so you screw on the guide to the flush part). I have one on my M1 set up like that and it's fine.

But remember, it sandwhich's between the BB and the frame, so you "may" need a longer BB. Some bikes it'll work with a 113 if that's what you already have but if spacing becomes funny you may have to go to a 118. That's the only catch with sandwhiching things between the frame and BB area.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
N8 said:
This pepe is like 'crazy' in a español kinda way....

:rolleyes:
seriously...

Total Posts: 142 (44.69 posts per day)

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
OK - I've got one nearly made, I just have to bore the center hole. I don't have the exact size, so it's undersized to be followed with the dremel. It is not recessed, but the guide is fairly adjustable laterally, so it should work. If it actually works, I'll take pics. I had an engineer help me layout and drill the mounting holes, so the BB hole is all that's left. Fingers crossed on that part.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wouldnt it have made more sense to bore out the middle part first to make sure everything is centered off it?

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
BurlyShirley said:
Wouldnt it have made more sense to bore out the middle part first to make sure everything is centered off it?
The plates won't matter if it's off a thousandth or two on the center. It's oversized. The main concern was the bolt pattern. We used the layout on the iscg.org site. Unfortunately it's not to scale, but we had the measurements and worked from center. These guys do some precise work, so it should work fine. Worst case - the holes don't line up and I have to drill and tap three more.

The center is punch marked and ready for the hole saw.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
maxyedor said:
Why not just order one? They cost like $5, the materials to make it alone prolly set you back $3, plus time and effort.
Actually it's closer to $20 + shipping, but I still may do that. I wanted something that would work until I could get one. I did that. I did spend close to $50 on hole saws and a few various tools, but I have wanted them, so that's cool. The idler was funky so I re did an XT pulley with a road brake bolt. It works fine, but I may get one, as I said. I got one of the bolt holes kind of whacky, so I probably need to get the right thing, but for now it will work. That little mount flipped over is what I need to offset the spacing to use the original part. I took the first spin on the STP and I can actually even wheelie on it. This bike is gonna rock.

Pics tomorrow if it's not raining.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
pepe said:
Actually it's closer to $20 + shipping, but I still may do that.
My bad, but I just looked up the wholesale cost through BTI on the E-13 brand one. $17 with a VERY good markup, and $2-3 for shiping, hell the LBS may even be able to get off their butt and get it for you then there is no shiping. Don't get me wrong I'm all for building your own stuff, but this may be far more work than it's worth IMHO

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
maxyedor said:
My bad, but I just looked up the wholesale cost through BTI on the E-13 brand one. $17 with a VERY good markup, and $2-3 for shiping, hell the LBS may even be able to get off their butt and get it for you then there is no shiping. Don't get me wrong I'm all for building your own stuff, but this may be far more work than it's worth IMHO
Yeah - I will be getting one on order from Quality through the shop, but being a pretty small town, it could be 2 weeks. This way that is not an issue. I am assuming the MRP one works just as well if Quality doesn't have the e13. The shop rarely orders from BTI, so I will pay through the nose for it from there. Either way, I can get it mailorder if I have to.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Well - here are pics of my temporary solution, which may end up being permanent. I kind of like the looks of it. The holes aren't lined up just right, as I had so many that I couldn't keep up, but I am going to just put nuts on the back side and be content. I think it is kind of cool. I may get a roll, instead of the pulley, but for now it is a pulley with no center bushing, a bolt for a road caliper, and a spring washer from a Z150. The spring washer spaces things nicely and looks cool to me.