Quantcast

which wheel set is best?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by hierophant5, Oct 23, 2005.

1. hierophant5

hierophant5 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm buiding up a foes fly and need to get a wheel set. Any recomendations? I will be doing mostly FR style and probably some DH if i get good. I have a junior t for with the stock axel. I'm totaly new at this wheel stuff so bare with me a little. I was looking at a hadley set on ebay but I guess the guy had some issues with the hub. Any one willing to part with a good wheel set?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. skurfer333

skurfer333 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    singletracks and mtx's seem to be pretty popular among the DH crowd, but I'm not a fan of either. I'm a freerider myself and weight is not an issue so I run a doublewide in the rear and a supra D in the front. As far as a good freeride/DH combo rim? I'd say go with something in the weight class of supras or doubletrack/intense mag30s.

3. zmtber

zmtber Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    deemax if you want tubless and strength(not cheap), or deetrax(baybrother of the deemax, so they are cheaper), or the azonic outlaw they are strong, and have some good hubs on them. check them out at www.azonicusa.com

4. caputo1989

caputo1989 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Too many Tourists COLORADO the place being taken o
    Go with a heavy strong wheel like the doublewide as you start out.
    1. New riders don't always find the smoothest line.
    2. A lighter and/or more expensive wheel is more costly to replace.
    3. I you decide to go with the mavic wheels up the $$ and buy the insurance package that they offer ( 1-2 years no questions asked).

5. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'd check out either the Bontrager King Earl wheel set or the new DT Swiss freeride wheel set (XR 2450? I think). Both are lighter than Mavics but equally as strong, if not stronger.

6. Bacardi

Bacardi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    It really depends on your weight and how much rocky terrain, DH or drops you'll do and how much you are willing to spend.

Do you run over stuff or do you ride light?

Plan on $50+ for a Solid Rim around 550-600 grams. Get a rim that is welded at the seam. It will last longer.

Rims:
    1. Singletracks are just OK rims. I'm 160# and beat one up pretty good in 6 months of DHing. Cheaper but same weight as mavic 721.
    2. Sun mtnX would be stronger ... Click for sizes and weights -->http://www.sun-ringle.com/prods/mtbrims.html
    3. Mavic 721 rims are strong as well...considered lightish DH rim http://mavic.com/ewb_pages/v/vtt_produit_jante_EX_721.php?gamme=vtt
    4. Mavic 729 are the Standard DH rim.
    5. WTB laserdisc.

any of these rims would fit a 2.5 tire well.

Hubs
    -----
    You could save money by getting A Marz 20mm front hub. They are fine, you don't need a $100 front hub.

Rear: depends on how much $$ you want to spend. A $55 XT hub will work fine. If you pedal a lot (think XCish here) these dont roll like a more expensive hub.

Price dictates quality here.

You may want to go Shimano XT hubs and Rhyno Lites for a good starter wheelset to save money. Or use the Above mentioned rims for higher quality. It's up to you...

7. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Ive got a set of new 36h Chris King hubs in new 02 Deemax rims for sale that were built for my Foes Fly. This is the best wheelset possible in my opinion. Cost me almost $900 to have them built. Pretty light and super strong.

8. BrandonWatts

BrandonWatts Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    azonic outlaws nuff said. i love this wheelset. i have beat the crap out of them and there still holding up great. there light and really strong.plus there only 250 bucks for a set:thumb:

9. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20

I run Azonics for resort riding. Their only downfall is the weight but they are pretty strong. Azonic was having a lot of trouble with the rear hub but I think they got it fixed.

10. downhilldemon

downhilldemon Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Where do you live? Is this a trick Question?
    i ron older mavic 321's and have never had a problem great rim. also magura hubs are fun!

11. BrandonWatts

BrandonWatts Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    yeah i have noticed the bearing are a little sticky in my rear wheel but i still love the wheels

12. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Im selling my CK/Deemaxx wheelset and building a new wheelset with Hadleys and 823s. Im getting another bike so my CKs wont fit.