Quantcast

Which wheelset for a big guy?

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Well I bought a new bike and I'm stoked, been spending more time on it than on my DH and jump bikes which is a big plus. Lately I've been riding a lot on the wind trainer, because I'm pretty busy during the day time, and when I'm not, the weather sucks. Anyway, I'm looking for a new wheelset that I can use when I'm out on the road, and I'll save the stock Aksiums for the trainer, that way I won't be wearing out tyres that I like every month.

I'm a pretty big guy (110kg, but going down since the new bike...), and the roads around here aren't the best (coarse bitumen). I would prefer a prebuilt wheel without too many proprietary things. Finally, due to my size and that the roads I ride aren't overly twisty, I've been recommended to go for a deeper rim.

The options I have for the moment are the DT 1850s (semi aero), FSA 400's (again, semi Aero) and Mavic Cosmic Elites. I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts, but at the same time I want good parts (especially hubs, but rims too). I'm currently leaning towards the DT's as I love their stuff (I've been running their hubs and rims on my bikes for the last 2 years and I havn't had any problems), but the FSA's are going to be cheaper and lighter (although I'm not keen on the internal nipples). Not too keen on Mavic due to their hubs, but otherwise I was impressed with the Ksyriums on my old bike.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
why do you prefer prebuilts?

DT RR1.1s (socketed), 32h, 3x, 14/15g spokes, Ultegra hubs = bombproof wheelset. that's actually what my mtn bike wheels are ('cept 2x, 3x driveside).

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
why do you prefer prebuilts?

DT RR1.1s (socketed), 32h, 3x, 14/15g spokes, Ultegra hubs = bombproof wheelset. that's actually what my mtn bike wheels are ('cept 2x, 3x driveside).
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Could also look at different hubs if you want something fancier (like 240s or whatever strikes your fancy).

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'd prefer a prebuilt wheel because it's less of a hassle (even though I work as a mechanic in a shop). I know with all the DT pre-builds we've had that the tension has been spot on out of the box. Besides, if i was going for a hand built, it probably wouldn't be significantly different to what i'd choose anyway- 240 hubs, bladed spokes and 1.2 rims.

Would a Velomax/Easton Orion II be within the budget? I have the Ascent II and I really like 'em. The low profile rims are wonderfully resistant to crosswinds and they're just all-around good. The spoke count on the Orion II is low enoug to be fast, but high enough to not be a serious hazard if you broke a spoke. Also, offset rear rims make me happy.