• DMR Revolver, 717

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Crossmax SL

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
I am trying to decide out of 3 wheelsets, I am wanting to upgrade my current wheelset as I think it is too heavy, the wheelsets I list are all similar in price.
Which wheelset should I get?
It will be for this bike I weigh around 80kgs I chose these 3 wheelsets as I was looking for a compromise between strength, weight and price and lastability

these are disk wheelsets

1: Hope XC front and rear hubs laced to Mavic 717 rims (these I will get built up for me and are brand new and will be the most expensive of the 3)

2: DMR Revolver front and rear hubs laced to Mavic 717 rims (these will be built up for me and are brand new and will cost slighy less than the above)

3: Mavic Crossmax SL Wheelset (These are 2nd hand but I am told are in good condition with not much use, they will cost slightly less again)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ah, you're looking at Crossmaxes...good boy. Easily the best XC wheels on the market right now strength/weight ratio fathomed in. How old are they? If they are fairly old (1+) years and have been ridden regularly/raced, I'd back off...I'd back off of any used pair of ultralight XC hoops that have been used for some time. If they are beaten, I'd go for the Hope/717 combo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
blue said:
Ah, you're looking at Crossmaxes...good boy. Easily the best XC wheels on the market right now strength/weight ratio fathomed in. How old are they? If they are fairly old (1+) years and have been ridden regularly/raced, I'd back off...I'd back off of any used pair of ultralight XC hoops that have been used for some time. If they are beaten, I'd go for the Hope/717 combo.
I have had the worst luck with my Crossmaxes get a stick in the wheels and it weakens the spoke. Break that spoke and if you don't replace it immediately it over stresses the other spokes which then break.

Get the best hubs you can afford and then have a good wheelbuilder build them up all traditional like.

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
The Crossmax's are 2004 wheels but I am told they haven't had a lot of use as the guy has another wheelset that he mainly uses

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
blue said:
Me thinks you are brain washed by marketing. Crossmax are heavy, not easily serviced, and don't have the best track record for reliability. The rest of your advice is pretty good but I'd go for Hope Pro II hubs over the Hope XC. I've got my own preference on rims but the price could be a limiting factor.

Vert - what is your budget?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Westy said:
I have had the worst luck with my Crossmaxes get a stick in the wheels and it weakens the spoke. Break that spoke and if you don't replace it immediately it over stresses the other spokes which then break.
Doesn't that happen to all wheels? Thats one of the downsides to the Crossmaxes...proprietary parts.

Mike B. said:
Me thinks you are brain washed by marketing. Crossmax are heavy, not easily serviced, and don't have the best track record for reliability.
Heavy in comparison to the other wheels suggested? The Crossmax SLs are what, 1600-1650 grams? The Hopes or DMRs built up to 717s will weigh at least 1700. I rode a set of Crossmax SLs for about a month and loved the stiffness comparable to how light they were (didn't break a spoke). A few months later I had the opportunity to try out a set of XTR/717s, and whilst being nice, they weren't as stiff as the XMax, nor as light. I'll say it again...Crossmaxes (or any other wheel with a funky/proprietary hub/spoke/rim design) are a pain in the ass to service, but if you've got a Mavic dealer with lots of experience with them, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
blue said:
Doesn't that happen to all wheels? Thats one of the downsides to the Crossmaxes...proprietary parts.

Heavy in comparison to the other wheels suggested? The Crossmax SLs are what, 1600-1650 grams? The Hopes or DMRs built up to 717s will weigh at least 1700. I rode a set of Crossmax SLs for about a month and loved the stiffness comparable to how light they were (didn't break a spoke). A few months later I had the opportunity to try out a set of XTR/717s, and whilst being nice, they weren't as stiff as the XMax, nor as light. I'll say it again...Crossmaxes (or any other wheel with a funky/proprietary hub/spoke/rim design) are a pain in the ass to service, but if you've got a Mavic dealer with lots of experience with them, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe not heavy compared to the others suggested but yeah, I call them heavy since we build disk wheels routinely in the mid-1300g range (for $200 less). I could probably come up with 20 combinations that will be lighter and cheaper than Crossmax and all would be built with off the shelf parts.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Mike B. said:
Maybe not heavy compared to the others suggested but yeah, I call them heavy since we build disk wheels routinely in the mid-1300g range (for $200 less). I could probably come up with 20 combinations that will be lighter and cheaper than Crossmax and all would be built with off the shelf parts.
Could you build a set of durable xc wheels that weigh less than 1650g and cost less than $375?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
pixelninja said:
Could you build a set of durable xc wheels that weigh less than 1650g and cost less than $375?
Shouldn't be too difficult, you could look around for some Bontrager Valiant rims and WTB hubs. You'd be around 1500g with 1.8/1.5 double butted spokes (Rev or XL15) and alloy nipples. The man to talk to for something like that would be Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com

I've got some NOS Valiants here but I'm not sure if they are 28 or 32 hole. We only build on our rims now of course.

e-mail me at mike @ notubes.com if you want a quote on a similar build as above but using our rims. It is above the stated budget but right around 1400g and tubeless.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Mike B. said:
Shouldn't be too difficult, you could look around for some Bontrager Valiant rims and WTB hubs. You'd be around 1500g with 1.8/1.5 double butted spokes (Rev or XL15) and alloy nipples. The man to talk to for something like that would be Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com

I've got some NOS Valiants here but I'm not sure if they are 28 or 32 hole. We only build on our rims now of course.

e-mail me at mike @ notubes.com if you want a quote on a similar build as above but using our rims. It is above the stated budget but right around 1400g and tubeless.
Thanks. I was just curious because I plan on buying a new wheelset this spring, and from Mike G I can get a set of WTB Lazer Disc Lite/Velocity VXC for $360 shipped. I had this setup on my last bike and the total weight was 1650g. I'll probably use him again just because dealing with him was so dead easy and he took plenty of time to talk to me on the phone about what I want.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ahhh...but Valiants compared to Crossmax strength wise?

If I ever have enough coin for them, a pair of Stan's wheels will be in my future, I assure you...

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I'd spring for either Bontrager Race X Lite or Easton XC One for a race wheelset, they are both as light as Crossmax, but the hubs will last alot longer, and aren't such a pain to true.

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
So I am going to go with the Crossmax SL's and they are goona cost me quite a bit less than some handbuilt wheels and if I don't like them I will flick them off and get some handbuilt :)

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
DaveW said:
Go see Oli....He makes the best wheels and would probably give you a "Vorber discount"
Yeah spoke to Oli the other day and he recomended the Crossmax's and they are gonna cost quite a bit less that some handbuilt wheels, if I don't like them i'm sure I will have no problems selling them and i'll then get a hand built set.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I was just discusing this with Slacky last night... We both recon you should go the hope 717 combo.
Given the terrain you ride, your riding level and your weight we recon would give the crossmax's a very short lifespan compaired to the other choices.

Might be cheaper now, but not in the long run..... Just a thought. :)

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
hmmm so true, for some weird reason I have always wanted Crossmax's and yeah I have already paid for them so should arrive tomorrow. I'll give them a whirl but I think ultimately when I have more money I will get the Hope/ 717 combo