Quantcast

which would you pick

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
im going to upgrade my brakes and i cant decide which i want. im going back and forth between formula the one brakes and shimano saints. what would you guys go for? im also open to suggestions so if you got one go ahead and through it out there?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Saint all the way. The Formula One's have plenty of power, but are a beeotch to bleed properly. Modulation seems non existent. It feels like its either on or off.

M810's have the servo wave thingy. Takes some getting used to, but they're awesome in the modulation and power department.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I own and like both. While I disagree wholeheartedly with Mr. Jones on the modulation thing (The Ones are easily better in that department), they need bleeding frequently, and while it's not that hard, it's still more tricky than most other brakes out there. Parts, including pads, are expensive. Basically they're lighter, nearly as powerful, modulate a bit better, cost more (both up front and especially long term), look prettier, and are way more hassle to keep maintained. Your call really, both are good.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I own and like both. While I disagree wholeheartedly with Mr. Jones on the modulation thing (The Ones are easily better in that department), they need bleeding frequently, and while it's not that hard, it's still more tricky than most other brakes out there. Parts, including pads, are expensive. Basically they're lighter, nearly as powerful, modulate a bit better, cost more (both up front and especially long term), look prettier, and are way more hassle to keep maintained. Your call really, both are good.
Which ones were you riding when you hit the tree stump? I'd buy the other pair.:D

I ride Saints and love them, but haven't had a chance to ride the Ones. I like the fact I can get parts anywhere. I had Hopes for a while and it was a pain to find pads most places. If you get boutique parts, make sure you bring all of your own spare parts you may need, because most places won't have replacement anything.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i have saints and besides their incredible power i love the possibility to ghetto-bleed them in the parking lot just by pouring brake fluid into the reservoir if the need arises. plus parts are available almost everywhere.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Which ones were you riding when you hit the tree stump? I'd buy the other pair.:D

I ride Saints and love them, but haven't had a chance to ride the Ones. I like the fact I can get parts anywhere. I had Hopes for a while and it was a pain to find pads most places. If you get boutique parts, make sure you bring all of your own spare parts you may need, because most places won't have replacement anything.
Dick. :)

It was the Saints, but better brakes wouldn't have done me any good. Maybe studded tires.

Why the hell haven't we ridden in so long? Granted I'm in Oz but I'll be back in September.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have had The Ones for 4 years and the have been perfect but I have not tried Saints. I think some people run XTR levers with Saint calibers.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Dick. :)

It was the Saints, but better brakes wouldn't have done me any good. Maybe studded tires.

Why the hell haven't we ridden in so long? Granted I'm in Oz but I'll be back in September.
We shall ride in Sept. :weee:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I really like the Ones. I think the feel is great and bleeding is not that hard. Also, bleeding is not needed very often if you change the pads before they get down to metal. Once I figured that out they have been the most reliable brakes I've owned (including hope, shimano, and avid as well as formula). Of course that means the added cost of changing pads more often, but still.

Plus they are exotic Italian goodness.