Quantcast

While n8 is all excited about getting snow...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
...we've been getting pouded with freezing rain. Everything is coated. There are two 40' maples in my yard that are so heavily laden with ice that their crowns are actually touching the ground. Tons of trees down. Have yet to lose power, but would be suprised if that dosn't happen at some point.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Don't touch the maples. If the ice doesn't break 'em they should spring back up after it melts.

I've been through three severe ice storms in my life and am in no hurry for another. It is beautiful though.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
As much as I like Ithaca, weather like that makes me glad I'm in Boston now. Oh wait, it's pouring buckets all day today anyway, at least you can ride ice covered trails. Swamps are conducive to riding.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
Weather like that makes me thank my lucky stars that i live in California. I went for a walk with my buddy to the river and its about 67F and sunny :). the birds are out and singing and the trees are flowers are all blooming.

P.S. kill me if i ever think about leaving this state.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
We're in the middle of getting 18" of snow, with 50 mph wind. Pounding on the window as I type this

Snow banks here are min 6 feet tall on the side of the roads. The city is running out of places to dump the snow removed from the roads.

I have a little 6' foot tall evergreen in my front yard...I can only see about 12" of it right now.

We're on the verge of breaking the seasonal snowfall record....a record set in the winter of '70-'71.

Getting a little sick of winter.....and still not too happy with my decision to save $100 and NOT get a driveway snow removal contract this winter.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As much as I like Ithaca, weather like that makes me glad I'm in Boston now. Oh wait, it's pouring buckets all day today anyway, at least you can ride ice covered trails. Swamps are conducive to riding.
Did you go to school here?

Ithaca is a great town, but the weather is prone to bouts of epic suckage.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Somthing BIG just went down in the woods. I don't want to know what.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Did you lose power?? My son and I left Ithaca last night at about 6:45, and the power was out on rt13. We had come down into Ithaca around 5pm, and it was still okay. Not great, but okay. I couldn't believe how bad it got, and how quickly! There were no traffic lights! Fun times! As we drove up Hector St. out of the city, though, we could see lights still on in other sections. We lost power out in Enfield for like 7 hours....

Should get really pretty out there in about a half hour when the sun comes up. Last Tues or Wed, or whenever we got the last round of icing, it looked like Ice World or something.... it was very beautiful. I've got to take my camera with me today when I go skiing or snowshoeing!!!!

We got a bunch of cold rain and sleet with icing and wind. we have branches down, but not bad - dead stuff self-pruning. Had one power glitch last night. The rain saturated the snow on the ground which then froze and it's a hard stupid slippery crust this morning.

H day minus 16.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We only lost power for an instant a couple of times, as far as I know. It may have been out longer during the night. Phone dosn't work at the moment though.