Quantcast

While we are on the topic of Lenses...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So while we are on the topic of lenses/photog in the lounge I had some questions for all you guys that are spitting out some real good advice eg: Fraser, Derek, Toshi and anyone else I may left out. I am going to be doing a lot of skate park shooting in the up and coming months and as well all know parks are tough light to shoot in. I was pretty much sold on getting a canon 24-70mm f/2.8 EX wide angle, because I just think it is a great walk around lens.

However with the thread from yesterday Fraser really got me thinking about the canon 1.8 prime lenses. What are your thoughts on these 2 lenses? Is the 24-70mm enough for everything or is the 1.8 something that everyone should have in their quiver?

Here are some links:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12142&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=352403&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I think we need a photog forum on the :monkey: anyone?

_Bill

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
keep in mind that with a digital body and 1.5 or 1.6 crop (on nikon, canon) a 24mm is not a wide angle by any means. the instrument of choice for skatepark shots seems to be the 15mm fisheye... i use the sigma 12-24mm for that purpose

that said the canon 50/1.8 is a great lens for $70, and will serve you well for indoor portraits.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toshi said:
keep in mind that with a digital body and 1.5 or 1.6 crop (on nikon, canon) a 24mm is not a wide angle by any means. the instrument of choice for skatepark shots seems to be the 15mm fisheye... i use the sigma 12-24mm for that purpose

that said the canon 50/1.8 is a great lens for $70, and will serve you well for indoor portraits.
I'm thinking about getting my wife a portrait lens for her D70. Is 50mm fixed kind of the lens of choice for indoor portrait work?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey manhattan, post a question on bustedspoke.com; bostonbullit or private joker have a lot of experience shooting in skateparks and might have some good advice.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
A 24mm lense would still be a half decent wide angle, coming out to about 38.4mm. But yes, If you are looking to go as wide as possible without fugging up linear perspective, then it won't be for you.

I'm guessing you want something with a good range in it. Nikon put's out a 18-70 F3.5 ED-IF formatted exclusively for DX. It may be a little slower than what you are looking for though. They also put out a decent 17-35 (27.2-56) Which would cover a good bit and it's a 2.8.

Tamron just put out a 17-35 2.8. It's much cheaper and the quality is up there with Nikkor lenses. The one problem with it that I've encountered is that with a regular (say sunpak or Hoya) filter a little vingetting (sp?) occurs. Therefore you have to get a slim filter (like a heliopan or B+W).....which of course costs more.......

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
SkaredShtles said:
I'm thinking about getting my wife a portrait lens for her D70. Is 50mm fixed kind of the lens of choice for indoor portrait work?
FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A NIKON QUESTION!

50mm f1.8D was the best lens i ever owned. Unfortunately it was stolen with my old camera but i will be purchasing it again to use with my new shiny d70s. I loved it and used it for everything from portrait, street photog, and some biking stuff.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Toshi said:

I actually have the sigma fishey, and have used it to get some pretty good shots see below, but i am looking for something that can get me in a bit tighter if i need to so that i dont have to be right in the face of the rider...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
hey manhattan, post a question on bustedspoke.com; bostonbullit or private joker have a lot of experience shooting in skateparks and might have some good advice.
prob the only other good board that im not a member of :dead:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The 17-40 is a great lens for getting in a bit closer, it complements a 15m fish nicely.

The 50.18 is pretty long on an aps-c sized sensor, but for $70, you really can't go wrong. I have 3 shots in this years Orange catalog...2 were shot with the 50. Not a bad return on a $70 lens.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want tiny DOF, slightly more light input and a metal mount, then sure. It is almost 6 times the price though, that is alot of broken 1.8s. It has slightly nicer bokeh, and as you mentioned, has a USM motor. With such a tiny lens USM doesn't make a huge difference.

I went for the cheapo one and have no problems with it. It is paying off nicely. The only way to damage that lens is to drop it, it is tiny. It isn't like you are dropping a 300mm with a plastic mount you know? Personally, it is a must have for me at that price.