Quantcast

Whiskey appreciation thread

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Makers Mark is OK but there are way better options for the money. Bullet is one fine example.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh, and whoever told you the Ardbeg 10 year is better than the 15 is smoking crack.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I also like bourbon stouts rather a lot. The Victory Dark Intrigue I am currently drinking is some tasty ****.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I need to taste the Caol Ila and the Ardberg.

- My favorite: Lagavulin 16 y.o. Extremely peaty and smoky.

- I got the chance to taste a Bowmore 25 y.o. a few weeks ago and that was spectacular to say the least.

- Talisker is a must have also. I have the 10 y.o. at home... Can't find the 18 y.o. anymore. It's smoky, but not as peaty as the the Lagavulin for example.

- Macallan 12 and 18 is always nice also for a lighter whisky.

- Another great one and I think lesser known is the Springbank 15 y.o. I finished my bottle, but I'll certainly buy another one.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
2 ounces Rye whiskey
Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters
One sugar cube or 1 tsp simple syrup
Splash of absinthe or Herbsaint

Not really an absinthe drink, but an accoutrement. Last night I had one, and the bartender mixed a half shot of absinthe with water and ice into a glass, then stirred the rye with the syrup and bitters, poured out the absinthe, and poured in the whiskey. Was pretty awesome.

I love bars that serve good cocktails. I used to drink whiskey straight, but a good mix opens up so many more flavors, when done right of course.
Called a Sazerac. Invented in New Orleans pre-civil war. I like them but prefer an old fashioned.

about to finish a bottle of Buelit Rye. I like that stuff.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
famous grouse blended scotch....

do NOT recommend.

First scotch I ever had, my then 22year old GF got it for me when I was 18. It still tastes just as bad.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Called a Sazerac. Invented in New Orleans pre-civil war. I like them but prefer an old fashioned.

about to finish a bottle of Buelit Rye. I like that stuff.
I've been drinking the Bulleit Rye like it's my job, because of my job. Pinch of brown sugar, dash or two of bitters and ice. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
did some whiskey drankin' last night. Had some Sazerac Rye & some Kinnickinick Whiskey (local sorta) all in old fashions. want to try the sazerac neat.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I grabbed a bottle of Knob Creek for my birthday over the weekend. Also had some Aberlour 16 that's been in the cabinet for a while. Both are pretty good.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I purchased a bottle of Caol Ila Distiller's Edition 1997 this weekend.

Amazing! Pretty typical Islay smoke and peat, with some added sweetness/fruitiness.

Next one will be the Ardberg Uigeadail. :)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Will be pouring a jar of Black Maple Hills as soon as I am done with this Founders Red Rye.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Wife bought me a bottle of this for my birthday.

Glenlivet_16_Y.O._Nadurra-04.jpg

I was drinking it neat until I was talking with a co-worker who organizes tastings. He said to add a little water and the taste will explode. I thought it was amazing already, this stuff is fantastic with water.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I had the honor of having a few slow shots of Stranahan's snowflake whiskey the other night, and it was AMAZING.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I'll admit the main reason I bought this the first time was because there was a bike on the bottle. But I bought it a second time because it was gosh damn delicious.