Quantcast

Whiskey appreciation thread

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
The 18yo Japanese is ordered and will take another two weeks, so I was forced to buy a 16yo scotch so I dont get bored while I wait. I thought the contrast between the two would be nice.

Yeah, good contrast! Let us know how you like the both of them.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, good contrast! Let us know how you like the both of them.
The Lagavulin 16yo is a regular for me. Its probably the smokiest whisky ive had and thats why I love it.
Ive heard people say its a a bit too peaty for them but a drip of water opens it up nicely. I prefer it without water though.
If youre a fan of Islay's i can highly recommend it.

Still waiting for that Yamazaki!

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
It tastes like an angel is taking a piss in your pie hole.
Seriously...

Its a bit sweet. With subtle little fruit explosions in your mouth.
Honey comes to mind and the oak and sherry are very noticable.
the viscosity is a bit higher and more oily (is that a word?)which adds to the flavor.
The different flavors make it complex and you can still taste it an hour after you drank it.

Without a doubt the best whisky Ive ever had, I can definitly se why its that much more expensive then a "normal" bottle of single malt. But in my case with allmost three times as much as a bottle of the "Macallan" 12yo Fine Oak, Im gonna save it for special occasions and maybe buy the Yamazaki 12yo so I wont feel as guilty if I just wanna relax a bit on a quiet evening at home.
:D

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The 18yo Japanese is ordered and will take another two weeks, so I was forced to buy a 16yo scotch so I dont get bored while I wait. I thought the contrast between the two would be nice.

i got a bottle of this back in sept when passing through NH for vacation in Maine. it quickly jumped to my list of all time favorites.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So I've been steadily getting into Scotch Single Malts.

So far my tastes lean towards the sweeter whiskys like Glenmorangie, The Macallan and Glenlivet.

Bearing in mind my favourite so far is The Glenlivet (I've only tried a 12yo so far), I'm happy spending a wee bit on a good whisky, but nothing over, say, 60-70€ a bottle...

Where do I go from here then?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
So I've been steadily getting into Scotch Single Malts.

So far my tastes lean towards the sweeter whiskys like Glenmorangie, The Macallan and Glenlivet.

Bearing in mind my favourite so far is The Glenlivet (I've only tried a 12yo so far), I'm happy spending a wee bit on a good whisky, but nothing over, say, 60-70€ a bottle...

Where do I go from here then?
Try working your way into the Islay stuff like Ardbeg and Laphroaig. The peaty goodness takes some adjustment, but you'll never look back.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Try working your way into the Islay stuff like Ardbeg and Laphroaig. The peaty goodness takes some adjustment, but you'll never look back.
I've tried the Laphroaig 18yo, really didn't get along with it.. I've been on the look out for an Ardbeg, someone else suggested the same...

One of my favourites so far was a Balvenie Triple Cask 16yo, but a bottle would be getting out of my price range... Maybe for special occasions.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
My old standby Blanton's has been supplanted by this, Willett Pot Still Reserve:

It's a bargain when you consider the bottle can be repurposed as a bong.
That is good stuff. I tried to buy some the other day and it has gone up $12 from the last time I bought it about a year ago. This premium bourbon boom is killing me.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I've tried the Laphroaig 18yo, really didn't get along with it.. I've been on the look out for an Ardbeg, someone else suggested the same...

One of my favourites so far was a Balvenie Triple Cask 16yo, but a bottle would be getting out of my price range... Maybe for special occasions.
The Laphroaig 18 is a bit intense, so you may get along better with the 10 or perhaps the Quarter Cask. For Ardbeg, I really like the Uigeadail and Corryvreckan, but those are cask strength (powerful, possibly overwhelming if it's not your cup of tea).

Sounds like you are a Speyside/Highland whisky lover, so why not stick with that? Aberlour 10 and Glenfarclas 10 are nice and inexpensive. If you like intense sweetness and complexity, try the Aberlour A'bunadh or Glenfarclas 105, both cask strengh and aged in sherry casks. Oh and I can't recommend Japanese whisky enough. Take a look at Yamazaki 12, good stuff.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
So who's had some good 18 year single malt lately? My last two have been Yamazaki and Highland Park. Any suggestions?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Not 18yo, but my latest edition...
The GlenDronach
Single Cask 2002

The 18yo Yamazaki is still my favorite whisky ever. I might buy myself another bottle before the end of the year but I usually get something cheaper.
Have you tried the Nikka From the barrel yet? If not, I suggest you go out and buy a bottle right now!

Attachments

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Teh Costco had Basil Hayden, so I picked up a bottle. We usually leave out a bottle of an Islay of some sort on Christmas eve with the cookies, but Santa has been into Sezaracs this year so I bought a nice Bourbon instead. Never had it before, but I approve.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have noticed vast differences between bottles of the Aberlour A'bunadh. First one was absolutely amazing, second one was so-so. I'm wondering if there is a huge disparity among the casks?

The two that are always on my shelf however, are the Glenlivet 15yo and the Aberlour 16yo. I've tried the years on either side of these two (I am still happily in the experimenting stage) and have found these two years are my favourites.

Here's to continuing the search!

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I have noticed vast differences between bottles of the Aberlour A'bunadh. First one was absolutely amazing, second one was so-so. I'm wondering if there is a huge disparity among the casks?
Yup, a'Bunadh tends to vary from batch to batch. Every bottle has its batch number on the label, so may be a good idea to google a batch before you buy.

If you like Glenlivet, try the Nadurra. Great stuff.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
image.jpeg
My new go to. I guess I'll have to try the three wood or 18y. I have also tried to understand highland scotch but I just don't seem to like them as much as lowland.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Excellent whisky for the money.
If I were to reccomend an aspiring whisky drinker a bottle, it would be this one...
Do not agree, wasn't worth it. Ardbeg is good for the $$$ IMO. I'm pretty overcome with peaty obsession though...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Do not agree, wasn't worth it. Ardbeg is good for the $$$ IMO. I'm pretty overcome with peaty obsession though...
Definitly not the same cup of tea as an Islay, but i wouldnt recomend an Islay whisky to an aspiring whisky drinker.

Ive kind of walked away from Islays and have gotten more into the Spey side sweetnes lately.
I bought a nice bottle for xmass that was best of both worlds. A Benriach Solstice 17.
Bit more expensive but it combined port and smokey in a way i had never tasted before.

Highly recomended...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

After drinking nothing but rum for 3 months (its sometimes hard to live in the Caribean) I came home yesterday and drove straight to my favorite store...

Ultimate Whisky is a Dutch company that buys single cask whisky from different distillers, in this case Longmorn, and bottles them as a single malt. Making every whisky very unique and limited. The same whisky can a vary a lot in taste from year to year and even from cask to cask.

Screw rum.