Quantcast

Whiskey appreciation thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sampled some nice rye whiskeys in D.C. last week. Whistle Pig from Vermont, did their "base line" and then all of their higher-end ones. I was pleasantly surprised, not nearly the gross-reaction I've had with most whiskeys. What I've tried so far has always seemed to be too close to Jack Daniels, which just makes me sick, I can't stand to even sip that stuff.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Sampled some nice rye whiskeys in D.C. last week. Whistle Pig from Vermont, did their "base line" and then all of their higher-end ones. I was pleasantly surprised, not nearly the gross-reaction I've had with most whiskeys. What I've tried so far has always seemed to be too close to Jack Daniels, which just makes me sick, I can't stand to even sip that stuff.
Youre doing it wrong :bonk:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Definitly not the same cup of tea as an Islay, but i wouldnt recomend an Islay whisky to an aspiring whisky drinker.

Ive kind of walked away from Islays and have gotten more into the Spey side sweetnes lately.
I bought a nice bottle for xmass that was best of both worlds. A Benriach Solstice 17.
Bit more expensive but it combined port and smokey in a way i had never tasted before.

Highly recomended...
i've been big into lagavulin lately, this worth a try?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

After drinking nothing but rum for 3 months (its sometimes hard to live in the Caribean) I came home yesterday and drove straight to my favorite store...

Ultimate Whisky is a Dutch company that buys single cask whisky from different distillers, in this case Longmorn, and bottles them as a single malt. Making every whisky very unique and limited. The same whisky can a vary a lot in taste from year to year and even from cask to cask.

Screw rum.
So, for an 85€ bottle of whisky Im kinda unimpressed.
Plenty of flavor but zero nuance and quite sharp. Maybe because 46% alc.

Saving that bottle for when i have people over and just bought myself a bottle of the good ol' green spot for half the price and which I think is miles better, at least for me.

Life's too short to drink bad whisky.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I wanted to try some rye whiskey. My previous experances led me to believe I didn't like them, but the description of a rye has always sounded great to me. So I went and got one... I love it!!! Made in my home state and is mighty tasty. Please try, if you see it in your neck of the woods.
image.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got the Laga 8 a few months back. That was good and it holds it's own quite well (significantly cheaper too). Then stupid Costco put the 16 up for 50-some dollars, so I couldn't afford NOT to get some more :)

Gotta get some more good whiskey though, got some Jameson Black Barrel and it's "meh", not horrible but not great.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Trying this Irish Port cask at the moment.
Its not bad so far but i think i should have gone for the Sherry...
I've picked up a couple bottles of a local done in port casks:

I really like it. They do also make it in a sherry finish though I've been reluctant to try it. I love all things Breckenridge distilling, but I had a pretty bad experience with Sherry one time. :bad:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I've picked up a couple bottles of a local done in port casks:

I really like it. They do also make it in a sherry finish though I've been reluctant to try it. I love all things Breckenridge distilling, but I had a pretty bad experience with Sherry one time. :bad:
I like sherry. I cook with it a fair amount. Finely chop some carrots and shallots. Saute them in butter and black pepper. Finish them in sherry. Add the pan to some cous cous or rice. Orzo is good too.... Chunk some Goat cheese and Olive oil...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Finally got my hands on a bottle of this...

Figured i could spoil myself a bit for xmas but havent even opened the cannister yet...
Once its open and a your friends find out its gone. Save it for yourself. I like how enjoyable a good whisky can enhance a evening of solitude and reflection.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was gonna post i was more worried about teh gf but then she surprised me at xmas with this...

It did not disapoint.
Can't really get in to Laphroiag, not horrible, but just doesn't do it for me like Ardbeg and others. I did buy that exact Laphrioag a few months back. I wouldn't turn it down.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Hadnt bought any smokiness in a while (i used to favor it) and have been drinking a lot of Spey and Highland stuff which has been great. But the Islay is a very nice change of scenery.

I did have a few glasses of the Lagavullin Distillers Edition a while back. The PX compliments the peat really well. Would definitly recommend it too anyone who likes smokey and a Sherry finish!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Mmmmmmmm.....

I loves me some Laphroiag but god damn that price tag is steep. Anyone on here have a good peaty/smokey daily sipping whisky they recommend?

I tried this for the first time over the holidays and it wasn't my taste (still good) but the majority of the group I was with loved it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mmmmmmmm.....

I loves me some Laphroiag but god damn that price tag is steep. Anyone on here have a good peaty/smokey daily sipping whisky they recommend?

I tried this for the first time over the holidays and it wasn't my taste (still good) but the majority of the group I was with loved it.

Laga 8 and Ardbeg are around $30 cheaper and don’t give up much

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Mmmmmmmm.....

Not sure about the US, but over here in Yurp you can buy a bottle of “Smokehead” for about 30 Eur. Its even cheaper then a bottle of Ardbeg 10 (37 Eur) and its rumoured to come from the same distillery.

What they appearently do is they buy a bunch of younger Ardbeg casks, bottle it and then slap their own label on it.
Got a bottle as a gift from some riding buddies a few years back and I thought it was pretty good...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And Laga 16 has been on sale at our Costco for $59 a bottle for a while now. That's excellent for around here, usually it's 90-something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Parents 50th wedding anniversary... My dad likes scotch. He's mentioned Oban, but not a year. I've never had it. Any good? Any years worth going after?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Most of the Oban I usually see is the 14 yr. old. It's tasty, sort of a middle-of-the-road style, pretty easy drinking and not super peaty. Not sure the regular 14 is special enough for a big anniversary gift. Your call but if he likes Oban you might try to find one of the older bottles. Can't help ya on specific years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most of the Oban I usually see is the 14 yr. old. It's tasty, sort of a middle-of-the-road style, pretty easy drinking and not super peaty. Not sure the regular 14 is special enough for a big anniversary gift. Your call but if he likes Oban you might try to find one of the older bottles. Can't help ya on specific years.
yea, my dad is a middle of the road style whiskey drinker. his go to is glenfiddich. he's not as into peaty things (such as lagavulin, laphroag) like I am, he'll drink them when he visits, but doesn't buy them himself. i'll see if i can find an older bottle.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
yea, my dad is a middle of the road style whiskey drinker. his go to is glenfiddich. he's not as into peaty things (such as lagavulin, laphroag) like I am, he'll drink them when he visits, but doesn't buy them himself. i'll see if i can find an older bottle.
Oban is an Islay, so it's going to be smoky. It's not as smoky as Laphroaig or Laga, but if you're used to Glenfiddich it may be a bit much. I'd see if you can find a mini, or a bar pouring it and have a taste yourself yo judge how smoky it is compared to what your Dad may consider "too smoky". No point in giving him something he'll drink, but won't necessarily really enjoy IMHO.

Oban does kick ass though, if you like an Islay, you'll like Oban.

Knowing his "go to" is Glenfiddich, I'd either go with a nicer Glenfiddich, or another Speyside or maybe a Highland since each region tends to stick to similar flavor profiles. Balviene, Aberlour, McCallan, GlenGoyne. tons of good stuff coming out of those two regions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oban is an Islay, so it's going to be smoky. It's not as smoky as Laphroaig or Laga, but if you're used to Glenfiddich it may be a bit much. I'd see if you can find a mini, or a bar pouring it and have a taste yourself yo judge how smoky it is compared to what your Dad may consider "too smoky". No point in giving him something he'll drink, but won't necessarily really enjoy IMHO.

Oban does kick ass though, if you like an Islay, you'll like Oban.

Knowing his "go to" is Glenfiddich, I'd either go with a nicer Glenfiddich, or another Speyside or maybe a Highland since each region tends to stick to similar flavor profiles. Balviene, Aberlour, McCallan, GlenGoyne. tons of good stuff coming out of those two regions.
He's got a bottle of Oban 14 now apparently. He likes mccallan too. I've heard good things about japanese Scotch & whiskey too, but have no experience there.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
He's got a bottle of Oban 14 now apparently. He likes mccallan too. I've heard good things about japanese Scotch & whiskey too, but have no experience there.
Japanese is a bit hit or miss IMHO, it’s super popular right now which has driven the prices up because it takes forever for supply to catch up to demand. The younger whiskies are reasonable but once you get to 10+ years the prices go sky high. I find the younger Japanese whiskies to have a heavier ethanol flavor than other countries.

Nikka Coffee Malt is good if you can find it. Suntory is owned by Jim Beam so their distribution is pretty good, Suntori Toki seems to be everywhere. Shibiu, Hibikki, Mars, lots of good stuff if you can find it.

What are the booze buying laws up there in PA? Can you mail order booze? If so Masters of Malt has all the Compass Box Scotch’s, their stuff is always outstanding, but also consistently well priced. Get him a bottle of The Spaniard or Hedonism and get yourself a bottle of Peat Monster.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Costco has a singe malt Islay right now. It's probably Laphroiag or Oban.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
figured this would be the correct thread to inquire about bourbon. need a good bottle as a gift for a lawyer. budget is pretty open, but i'm not talking pappy van winkle budget.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
figured this would be the correct thread to inquire about bourbon. need a good bottle as a gift for a lawyer. budget is pretty open, but i'm not talking pappy van winkle budget.
Do you like the lawyer? If not, I highly suggest this:

1638217671357.png