Quantcast

Whiskeytown

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
I am headed up to Redding/Mountaingate con Bullit for Thanksgiving. I know no specifics, save that there are bad ass trails to be ridden around Whiskeytown.

Does anyone have any DH/FR trail reccomendations? Any help would be most appreciated.

Please e-me if you don't wanna post.

guszeiner at gmail dot com

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
I used to live in Redding and true to the reputation, Wiskeytown is covered with fireroads and singletrack.

Most of it is XC oriented with a lot of climbing involved but some of the steeper, technical descents can be accessed by shuttle on fire roads (4X4 recommended). There is also a slalom trail near the Keswick Dam (before you get to Wiskeytown) along with some technical freeride hike-a-bike.

The great thing about these trails too is that they drain well. I've ridden in foul weather (even snowing) and most the trails are fine to ride.

A book is published that defines a lot of trails in that area: "Mountainbiking Wiskeytown" by John Shuman. Although some of the trails listed in the book are now closed, it is a good guide to the area. I could give you more info on which trails I'd ride if I only had a weekend.

PM me and give me an idea of what kind of fitness you have and what kind of terrain you prefer (dirt jumps, technical steep, etc.).

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
A couple of resources in Redding are:

"The Chain Gang" bike shop 223-3400 (ask for Kevin)

"The Sports Cottage" bike shop 241-3115

The phone numbers might be old and I can't remember the area code but once you are in the area, you can easily look these up in a phone book. Both of these shops are cool about giving out info regarding local trails.

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
INFO on Wiskeytown:

The bike of choice:
I would bring your trail bike because the descents are not technical enough to warrant pedaling a freeride rig up the long climbs. I've done all the trails on an XC bike, though sometimes sketchy. A trail bike with 4-5" of travel would be perfect.

Trail INFO:
The best thing I could recommend is visiting the local bike shops in Redding. They could give you the latest options for the type of riding you want to do. I've listed two with phone #'s in the thread. John Schumann's book "Mountainbiking Wiskeytown" is extremely helpful with very detailed trail descriptions.

The area I would recommend for the best loops with interesting terrain and fun descents is the "Peltier Valley" area.

To get there drive on 299 west from Redding and turn left on JFK Memorial Drive. This is the road just as you come over the hill and first see Whiskeytown Lake. Drive down about 1.5 mi. until you get to the dam. Just before the dam turn left on Paige Bar Rd. where it starts towards N.E.E.D. Camp. Follow Paige Bar Road for about a mile and turn right on Peltier Valley Road. Follow Peltier Valley Rd. down the hill and across the bridge over Clear Creek There is a campground here with plenty of parking.

From here it becomes an adventure. Peltier Valley Rd. is one you will use to pedal up to access the singletrack. The climb is not that hard but it feels long. Beginning at about mile 1 of the climb (you will start down a small hill and cross a shallow stream) you will start seeing singletrack peeling off the road to the left.

The best access to the most interesting trails is at about mile 2. You will see a trail turning sharply left and heading up a short climb. This is the trail access to trails such as: Recliner, Kanaka and Taco Stand. This is where I would recommend going.

The trail from here goes up and down with some steep (but short) climbs but more so some steep descents. If you just keep taking the left turn options, the trail will ultimately lead you all the way back down to the campground where you started.

If you get a little lost, don't sweat it. All trails come out eventually at N.E.E.D. Camp/Paige Bar Rd. below where you drove in. You can just pedal back up Paige Bar to Peltier Valley Rd. and get back to your vehicle.

There are trails everywhere up there and all legal. Don't be afraid to take anything that looks interesting to you. Like I said, it all pretty much ends at the same place.

If you don't want to ride singletrack but prefer dirtjumps and slalom type riding I can give you that kind on info as well.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
since cecil passed away, i don't know how jump trail is doing...if it's being maintained or not...either way, if you park at keswick dam and get on the gravel trail heading back towards town and make the first (i think) right up the hill, you'll be on jump trail. if you've gone to the suspension bridge, you've gone too far.

you'll know w/in about 100 feet that you're on the right trail...a little creek crossing and a teensy little bump jump will be the first things you find. ride/push up the and it's a fun little dh trail w/ some big gappers. at the top is the slalom track (that is probably pretty haggard by now). you can also ride in from town...about a mile or so on the bike path on the west side of the river (i think) and a bit passed the suspension bridge and you get to the same trail...it'll be your last on the left though.

whiskeytown dh is shuttle-able w/ a car. chain gang guys should give you the heads up...they were always super cool when i lived in redding.

the bowl'd corner on jumptrail (pic below) is probably the most fun corner you'll ever hit in your entire life. thank cecil for it :)