Quantcast

Whistler 2019!!!

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
General Whistler thread time!! Let's get the bro stoke going.

A few questions to kick things off:

How's the new Dirt Merchant running? Is the new jump line at the bottom good? People still axing themselves on the hip?

Have there been many new trails added to Creekside since last year?

Other cool stuff?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'll be there in a month for 9 days, can't wait! Looks like there is a new loamer over on creekside, hope it holds up until july (doubtful).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'll be there in a week and a half. I've been off the bike the past 3 weeks due to back issues; doing core exercises like mad to get everything stable and strong again before I get there. At least I'll have fresh legs :D

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
We'll be there July 31st to August 7th.

Anyone know a good way to get to Nester for groceries? All DH bikes and no uber in BC. The Whistler taxi apparently sucks 29'erz

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'll be there in a month for 9 days, can't wait! Looks like there is a new loamer over on creekside, hope it holds up until july (doubtful).
Delayed fuse held up pretty well last season. Creekside doesn't get anywhere near the traffic the main village side does.

I'm a maybe on Whistler this year - I wasn't planning on going after I broke my finger, but now I'm rolling around on the bike a bit the FOMO is kicking in and I think a couple weeks of Valley trails and Whistler beers might be good for recovery.

Olga_icannot

Chimp
Aug 16, 2014
Seattle
I'll be there in a week and a half. I've been off the bike the past 3 weeks due to back issues; doing core exercises like mad to get everything stable and strong again before I get there. At least I'll have fresh legs :D
I'll be there next week
I'll be there July 6 and 7 riding the valley trails and maybe TOTW/Ride don't slide or Khyber. Would be fun to meet up with other monkeys for riding and beers.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How friggen expensive have Whistler apartments gotten? Maybe its just cos the Aussie dollar sucks at the moment but damn prices are getting up there.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Delayed fuse held up pretty well last season. Creekside doesn't get anywhere near the traffic the main village side does.
You know, you are right on that it did hold up really well. Going to be a great run riding natural from the creekside gondi. I was lucky enough to ride delayed fuse 2 years ago for that one day they opened it up when it was called muffy fluff. My god that was an experience, one of my favorite trails i've ever ridden...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
How friggen expensive have Whistler apartments gotten? Maybe its just cos the Aussie dollar sucks at the moment but damn prices are getting up there.
No it's spiked bigtime, we ended up paying something like 12 grand USD per week for our house we got. I have been going up there for about 12 years straight now and it is dramatically more expensive now.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
No it's spiked bigtime, we ended up paying something like 12 grand USD per week for our house we got. I have been going up there for about 12 years straight now and it is dramatically more expensive now.
Are you renting dentist palaces? We have a condo in the main village that was around $350/night for a 3 bedroom place.

Edit: that price is in Freedom Units.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
If you're going for longer than a week and wanna keep it cheap, look at the employee housing. In 2011 we knew a guy who stayed there the whole year and it was pretty cheap. But I believe the downside was rooming with others.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I stayed at Glaciers Reach a couple of years right across from the medical centre (one year that was quiet convenient) plus its near the bottle shop and grocery shop. Other times up at Blackcomb at Greystone Lodge or whatever - bit of a pain carrying beer up that damn hill after a long day but 1st world problems. Trouble is I'm insistent on places where I can smuggle my bike into the apartment because garage lock-ups can get fucked after the number of break-ins I've seen there.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How long do you folks normally go for? It takes so long to get there from Australia that its not worth going for anything less than a week IMO. $400 a night gets real expensive real quick for a 10 day stay.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How long do you folks normally go for? It takes so long to get there from Australia that its not worth going for anything less than a week IMO. $400 a night gets real expensive real quick for a 10 day stay.
I got that wrong, $200 a night. 3 days of riding, 4 night stay. Vancouver is only a 2 hour flight from San Francisco. The day I fly home I'm stopping by my house, swapping bikes, then driving up to Tahoe/Downieville for a 4 day trip so I can get some camping in as well.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
We’re working on that. Mrs mtg will have her size 2 Trail Pistol with us. My Trail Pistol is getting converted to a MegaSmash mullet bike for this trip.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Yep, we're there for 2 weeks this year. Staying at creekside... $400/night is outta my budget!!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Blue velvet is by far the gnarliest trail at whistler. I'm pretty sure I have stress fractures in my wrists and spine and I've only ridden that trail once. Too rough. Too much blue and not enough velvet.
There is some definite truth to that. I’ve had two injuries in Whistler. One was an instant severe inflammation of tendons in the palm of my hand from the washboard section of Blue Velvet right after the end of Original Sin.
I literally could not put the palm of my hand on the grip for the rest of the run and had to take the rest of the day off.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There is some definite truth to that. I’ve had two injuries in Whistler. One was an instant severe inflammation of tendons in the palm of my hand from the washboard section of Blue Velvet right after the end of Original Sin.
I literally could not put the palm of my hand on the grip for the rest of the run and had to take the rest of the day off.
Yeah man, I'm not kidding. When I've ridden sections of that trail, the whole thing is the "the washboard section"

I ran into some friends of mine a few years ago up there that only brought their trail bikes so they were just lapping the shit out of the machine built jumpy trails. They said they needed a day off. I convinced them to ride with me on all the woodsy trails and they realized they were far less abusive. In deep and joyride are nicer on your body. When that place dries out, the wide trails just fuck you up.

Blue velvet is a horribly built trail at the top. Way too steep for a wide open blue trail so it's always going to be bumped up madness.