Quantcast

Whistler 2019!!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For Nexus, don’t you have to interview in person near the border? That makes it tough for out of town folks to obtain.
I believe you apply and get sort of preapproved. Then if there is no consulate or any enrollment centers near you, you do the interview and final part the next time you cross the border.

Lots of people here at work have it and say it was pretty easy to apply and get. And crossing the border takes minutes now.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
interview locations are at designated border crossings, but you need to schedule an appt beforehand, which are significantly backlogged (ie, a couple months here). ie, no dropping in next time you're through.

alas, we digress. how about that whistler?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Isn't there a video of two pros gapping a line on Freight Train just after the box jump? Instead of cruising the right line or doing the rock roll, they launched from the middle I believe. I'm trying to find it but forget who did it.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Isn't there a video of two pros gapping a line on Freight Train just after the box jump? Instead of cruising the right line or doing the rock roll, they launched from the middle I believe. I'm trying to find it but forget who did it.
i think Brendon and vanderham did that in like follow me or something.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Don't waste your time on this trail. 11.5 miles of non stop climbing. The flies were f'ing redicoulous so I changed the name from Into the Mystic to Lord of the Flies.

20190804_183029.jpg
Screenshot_20190804-183243_Strava.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Don't waste your time on this trail. 11.5 miles of non stop climbing. The flies were f'ing redicoulous so I changed the name from Into the Mystic to Lord of the Flies.
Was it that bad? I've only heard good things about it from friends that have done it. I was going to do it last year but was riding solo and was warned off due to cougars or something.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Was it that bad? I've only heard good things about it from friends that have done it. I was going to do it last year but was riding solo and was warned off due to cougars or something.
it's all good, I probably do it solo more than with people...just take your time, bring lots of water and food, it's not a super gnarly descent but a lot of people have never climbed that much in their lives so they're pretty beat by the time they get to the top and it shows when they start going back down.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
It was worth doing it to add it to the list. But the climb (as you can see) is just non stop. When we did stop to enjoy the views and eat/drink, the flies were f'ing all over you. Like 15-20 on you at any given moment. So we hop back on and climb. I think I heard a freehub ratchet once on the climb for about 3 seconds. It's just pointing up hill the entire time. It's steep. It's long. It's continuous. It's worth doing it once for the views and to check it off the list. If you like it, feel free to do it again.
I'd post a photo from the top, but of course it's too large and I'm not wasting my time changing it.
We did like finishing the ride on Cheap Thrills.

The funniest thing that happened on the ride was when I stopped and move to the side on one of the turns for this couple to pass. They got off and walked this short/steep section and as they're passing I said "Next time I'm renting an e-bike so I can strava the shit out of this". I thought the sarcasm was obvious as I laughed when I said it. But apparently not. These two start going on. You can't bring ebikes back here, this is a provincial park. You'll get fined. They're not allowed in the park. And about another 2-3 comments I didn't pick up on. In the several second interaction I told them that I was just being sarcastic 3 times... I don't think they got it.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ha. The one time I did it, it was completely socked in with cloud and froze my sack off waiting for my slower climber buddies to catch up.

Still loved it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just got back from our 8 days in whistler, can't really walk. Couple quick points and I'll post some pics later.

- Sabertooth Horse to delayed fuse is really fun.
- We got super lucky 70's, moisture in the dirt, and mellow lines all week
- Took a Heli up to a peak in Squamish but got f'd w/ wind on the peak
- Joyride Course looks great this year
- New container, you need to pedal your ass off at
- Rode some super fresh loamers in squamish which were amazing
- Bear count stopped at 13
- Pemberton rules
- Going during the wanderlust yoga festival is cooler than crankworx, trust me
- Still don't care to ride LOTS
- BV still sucks
- Upper Joyride to Clownshoes is still my fav run in the park (lower)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Just got back from our 8 days in whistler, can't really walk. Couple quick points and I'll post some pics later.

- Pemberton rules
- BV still sucks
Clownshoes is what made my buddy's foot look like that.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We thought Into the Mystique/Lord of the Squirrels was super awesome. Sure it's work to get up there but that alpine zone is pretty damn special and the ride down was fun.

That said, for a purpose-built "climbing trail" they definitely could have gone with a gentler grade in places. Ooof.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Is Sabretooth Horse new? I don't remember seeing that a month ago.
Yes, I believe so they were working on it last year though but I am not sure it opened. If you get off the creekside gondi and go left, it's almost immediately on your left, drops in under the lift out in the open. Super fun trail...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

- Pemberton rules
- BV still sucks
Just returning myself.
-Wanderlust is awesome.
-Don't worry about LOTS
-BV was bad, but Creekside and B-line make up for it.
-In Deep, No Joke and Joyride were my runs.
I wanted to ride the Filthy Ape, which I've done previous times there, but my shoulder was tweaked. After missing 11 months of riding, I didn't need to prove myself. It's still as steep and the runout is the same as its been for years.
-I did Marty Master twice though.
IMG956635.jpg
IMG_0636.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Wait where is Marty? Is that off of BV? I have been going to Whistler for like 13 years and never noticed that one.
A couple of ways to explain it...
Pop out of BV just above The Filthy Ape island. Instead of going into the right where that wooden bridge/wall ride is, cut across the ski trail towards Original Sin. There's 2 step-ups and the Oakley sender. If you hit the right side step-up you'll see a trail to the right. Marty Master is right there. You'll literally be just above The Filthy Ape.

I believe that it's newer?

Ps. No matter what angle you shoot a video or picture of The Filthy Ape, MM or any other trail for that matter, you'll never get the real effect of how vertical that shit really is.

Last edited: