Quantcast

Whistler!!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What I can't decide is whether I'm grateful that they're there to keep all the gapers over there, or annoyed that those trails exist to bring all the gapers to the lift lines.
Think of it this way: because of them the lifts run, they keep the lights on. So they are a necessary evil....:D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Garbo zone is usually nowhere near as busy, its just the first uplift in the morning to get there that sucks.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just there this weekend. Liftlines were about 40 minutes near opening time, and then about 10-15 minutes if you took the group line and 5-10 minutes if you took singles from there on out. Garbo zone was pretty much just a "walk up and put your bike on and go" although the trails up at the top were pretty hammered and like half of them are closed right now due to the creekside closure.

It's the same thing now as it's always been it feels like though. A line and the blue trails are pretty busy, and the minute you get onto the tech black trails it's empty and amazing. Don't like braking bumps and crowds? Don't ride the blue flow trails.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Having some of the Garbo zone black trails closed was a bit of a bummer - ie Seven Year War and Upper No Joke. On the other hand I discovered Del Boca Vista - best green trail ever.

Last edited:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
glutton for punishment; gonna be a toasty day out there. that said, rather be sweating my bag off than today's agenda of sitting behind a screen. have a good one!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
DC is fun, but I think a bit overrated generally, but given the conga line of people going there regularly, definitely in the minority on that, lol

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Got an early start. Currently on microclimate. Will decide if I’ve got another lap in me at the bottom. Holy crap is the top ever loose in dusty!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've ridden DC and thought it was a great trail but not the best whistler has to offer. Never ridden MC though, how is it compared to DC?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Worst trip of my life. Started awesome - great crew, had a good coaching session, steak dinner, beers and laughs and day 1. Then on day 2 my best friend of 28 years died of a massive heart attack on the trail. Spent 25 minutes doing CPR until patrol arrived, then the medics, but we just couldn't bring him back. Had to call his widow...won't ever forget that for as long as I live. Then had to deal with the clusterfuck of canadian BS to get his stuff back and his body shipped back to the states. Just spread his ashes in Downieville yesterday.
jesus christ dude thats rough. ive had 2 friends die of heart attacks while riding (i was not present at the time for either). as a result ive taken to carrying a packet of aspirin in my pack when i ride.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
jesus christ dude thats rough. ive had 2 friends die of heart attacks while riding (i was not present at the time for either). as a result ive taken to carrying a packet of aspirin in my pack when i ride.
Yeah, the whole thing was definitely a wake-up call. My buddy was a typical mid-40s dad, probably caring 10-15 extra lbs in beer weight, but definitely not fat. He rode a lot and ate healthy most of the time; not what you think of as a heart attack candidate. I'm in a similar boat - could loose 10 lbs, but ride 5+ hours a week and run a few miles every other day, so now I'm pursuing all the tests I can to make sure my cardiovascular system isn't hiding anything.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
now I'm pursuing all the tests I can to make sure my cardiovascular system isn't hiding anything.
My riding buddy had a crazy high resting HR and sporadic palpitations after getting Covid, went and got a whole heap of tests done and they discovered a genetic heart defect that could have caused problems down the track. Now on some medication to control it luckily. Lucky find.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My riding buddy had a crazy high resting HR and sporadic palpitations after getting Covid, went and got a whole heap of tests done and they discovered a genetic heart defect that could have caused problems down the track. Now on some medication to control it luckily. Lucky find.
Covid made me black out several times with my HR dropping into the low 30's. Almost killed me and my wife the first time as I was driving on the highway at the time, but luckily stopped in construction traffic. Thankfully on the mend with nothing detected from their tests in the hospital.

Took a few weeks for my resting HR to drop back down to normal as it was > 10 bpm higher than normal.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So now what? They'll replace the Fitzsimmons lift with an 8 person lift this summer. Will the Fitz area be closed? I doubt it. But, Vail...

Scratch my plans for a Whistler/Sun Peaks trip next summer :/

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
at least Creekside will be back open? and they have been building a bunch of new trails in that area this year still through its closure for Creekside gondy replacement...can't say it will really affect me much as I rarely go to the park these days as standing in lines to ride my bike is not really my preference anymore.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is annoying news. I had been going to whistler every year from 2006 - Covid, was hoping to return next year. I really dig the fitz area and really don't want to cram into the gondola w/ a bunch of dudes on a hot day to get up there. I guess it is better in the long run.

Great news about creekside, that will probably be a pretty popular spot next summer w/ this news.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I like how they're dodging stating what the increased flow will be for summer. My speculation is that it will be a fractional increase, when they really need to be going after multitudes to address the problems they have now.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I like how they're dodging stating what the increased flow will be for summer. My speculation is that it will be a fractional increase, when they really need to be going after multitudes to address the problems they have now.
they could increase by getting rid of those special bike carriers and put the bikes on the rear of each row of chairs like in europe

double the chairs, 4 riders and bikes per chair, double capacity

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Haven't seen my younger brother who's in sun peaks in for years, so that will win out. I'd love to do a bromont/msa trip one day, never managed when I was on the east coast.
Ah true, can't beat family!

So many good options even beyond Bromont and MSA now. Tons of trail centers and opportunities for some epic days.

they could increase by getting rid of those special bike carriers and put the bikes on the rear of each row of chairs like in europe

double the chairs, 4 riders and bikes per chair, double capacity
Is increased capacity the answer though? Increase it enough and you just move the crowding problem elsewhere, like onto the trails.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Was anyone there during the season closing weekend (today was the last day)? I was there Saturday and Sunday, although Sunday was cut short with a crash that messed up my right hand.

Overall, kind of disappointing. The lift lines were pushing 60min for singles. There were even lineups at times for the Garbo zone lift. While I understand it takes a ton of work to build and maintain trails , I don't think you can stay in the Garbo zone all day to avoid the lift lines at the bottom - there's only so much you can do up there.

The entitled and impatient side of me says "yes, they have to do something better with those chairs and they better re-open Creekside next season."

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
was deliberating heading up; had a peek at the chair line web cam on sat = hell no. monday looked quite a bit better, but i opted to be lazy & ride shore instead. despite being close to home, i'm kinda done with paying good $$ to strand in line with the hoards. next year should be a proper gong well worth avoiding altogether.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Bumping this....

Anyone hear any updates on how Whistler is going to mess with the 2023 season? I read somewhere the Fitz lift will be closed completely but the gondola will be open. Can you imagine the line up there??

Creekside lift will be open and that side will have new trails.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Bumping this....

Anyone hear any updates on how Whistler is going to mess with the 2023 season? I read somewhere the Fitz lift will be closed completely but the gondola will be open. Can you imagine the line up there??

Creekside lift will be open and that side will have new trails.
sightseeing traffic is going to be shifted to Blackcomb base and village gondy prioritized for bikes. New Creekside gondy is really nice skiing wise, should be good in the summer too. There are a whole bunch of new trails in Creekside, sampled a few late fall, they're really fun, and one off TOTW that will be very popular I'd imagine.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
sightseeing traffic is going to be shifted to Blackcomb base and village gondy prioritized for bikes. New Creekside gondy is really nice skiing wise, should be good in the summer too. There are a whole bunch of new trails in Creekside, sampled a few late fall, they're really fun, and one off TOTW that will be very popular I'd imagine.
I was thinking of going to Canada for a couple weeks mid-year to catch up with friends, ride bikes and drink beer. I was gonna skip Whistler bike park due to the lift malarkey but if they have a plan in place it might be worth doing a couple days.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Haven't seen my brother who's in Sun Peaks since 2018.
Haven't ridden Whistler since 2014.
Going to have to deal with whatever the lift BS is in 2023 before heading to SP.