Quantcast

Whistler bike rental

foodierich

Chimp
Jul 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
So, me and my gf are headed to Whistler last weekend in August. I'm a former DH racer and will be riding my Uzzi VPX. We need to rent a bike for her, plus she's never ridden at a lift-serviced resort. Our options are to rent a Norco Atomic small size, or we can demo an Intense 6.6 for a week for the same price. Would a 6.6 be ok on the green and blue trails up there? She's confident but not super aggressive as a rider.

Thanks!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
foodierich said:
So, me and my gf are headed to Whistler last weekend in August. I'm a former DH racer and will be riding my Uzzi VPX. We need to rent a bike for her, plus she's never ridden at a lift-serviced resort. Our options are to rent a Norco Atomic small size, or we can demo an Intense 6.6 for a week for the same price. Would a 6.6 be ok on the green and blue trails up there? She's confident but not super aggressive as a rider.

Thanks!
6.6 would be the way to go over the Norco! The Green and Blue trails will be perfect for that bike. :)

Oh...and stay off the brakes when going into corners...let the suspension suck up the braking bumps instead of your arms! :cool: :help:

Jun 18, 2004
If your considering demoing a 6.6 from compettive cyc I've heard that they don't set up the DHX air for the rider's weight...

and I'm finding reading on the web that the DHX Air is tricky to set up... if you can get ahold of 1 in whistler you'd be better off because then they could help set it up properly...

you should research this about the DHX Air... I, like you ride a VPX and my local intense dealer said that because I can set up a DHX coil don't think that I can set up a DHX Air just as easily...

I'm in the process of putting together a 6.6 currently... should have it together by the end of the month...

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Str8OutaBallard said:
If your considering demoing a 6.6 from compettive cyc I've heard that they don't set up the DHX air for the rider's weight...

and I'm finding reading on the web that the DHX Air is tricky to set up... if you can get ahold of 1 in whistler you'd be better off because then they could help set it up properly...

you should research this about the DHX Air... I, like you ride a VPX and my local intense dealer said that because I can set up a DHX coil don't think that I can set up a DHX Air just as easily...

I'm in the process of putting together a 6.6 currently... should have it together by the end of the month...

there extreamly tricky to set up right we have a nomad at the shop w/ one and it took a while to set up correctly. what about a sx trail?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
The 6.6 is perfect for that entire mountain - I love my 6.6 and it loves whistler to death. I dont think I would use a different bike there; last season I did the dh pig-bike thing and this season I am quite pleased to be done with pig bikes :)

As far as comp cyclist and the dhx...they will set up the shock for you. If you have any concerns hit up hap@competitivecyclist.com and he will gladly field any concerns you have; great guy!

My experience with the dhx air was completely different...quite easy to setup and get adjusted as long as you read the directions provided! Of course, keeping it in one piece is a different story :rofl:

Anywho...I have been riding the 6.6 on everything - whistler, kamloops, vancouver....no complaints and the bike is loving it all. Good choice!

foodierich

Chimp
Jul 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the advice, guys.

We ordered the 6.6! I feel more comfortable hearing about other riders riding that up at Whistler. I have a DHX Air I often use on my Uzzi, so I can set her up. Only a couple of weeks to go! Can't wait.

Rich

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Nice one!

I was going to offer my 6.6 up to test ride to see if you guys like it, but I guess I am too late :)

Seriously, it is my favourite bike to date. After a solid week of top->bottom garbo runs I fully expected my bike to be full of cracks, but after a full breakdown, nothing was wrong...the worst damage to the actual frame came from ditching the bike and having some paint scratched :)

jubilee

Chimp
Mar 29, 2006
Earth
foodierich said:

Thanks!
My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip there....she's 5'5", about 120 lbs and rented a small stinky garbanzo. It fit her fine, but the suss was waaay too firm for her weight. Have fun!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
bockner said:
Bikerpunk that you with th broken wrist...and if so get on scott to start selling specialized!
yup thats me i just got the cast off today.me and scott dont think to well of specialized. ill try though i just dont like the company i like there bikes though.