Quantcast

Whistler finally got me

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Well I got my first "take me out of the game" injury. I tend to crash a lot, probably to much, but yesterday I crashed and got driven off the mountain. Playing a small hip I twisted too much in mid air and my fork didn't forgive me stiffening right up when I landed. My wheel twisted and I go flying over the handlebars. Luckily I twisted enough to land on my back, but on the soft spot of my armour. My entire right side set of ribs on my back are bruised and my shoulder is as well.

I also passed out from lack of oxygen (I crashed and couldn't catch a breath and basically fell asleep)...which was kind of neat because I woke up from a dream when the guy who helped me off the trail got there.

Anyways I have never had bruised ribs and don't know how long I am out for, I am just thankful I didn't hurt my spine and I didn't break anything :)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I think I bruised my ribs, they hurt for about a month on and off. Maybe I didn't though, could've been anything.

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
Whistler took me out a year ago. Similar circumstances! Thank God the medics on the mountain are so good at getting there timeley...Get well

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
As long as the ribs are just bruised and not broken your riding is only limited by the amount of pain you can withstand (last time that happened to me my doc looked at me and laughed as I made sure I was clear on that point!) Sorry to hear about the crash....heal up quick.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Forgot to mention= Whistler dominated me opening day, I am currently saving up for another trip there.

My mistake was taking a hardtail with a 71 HA, a 21" TT and 1.95"tires and a 4" manitou black.

THis time it will be a Stinky 9 with a SHiver.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
good to hear you guys aren't seriously injured. Roasted, what trail and jump did this happen on?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
That will be a much healthier choice :)...I ride an old bighit 6x6. Sometimes that doesn't feel like enough, let alone what you rode :)

Things will be fine. I will start back on the trails asap for get the body moving. I have never been a huge fan of sitting and recovering (if I can avoid it) For now, the t3's are gonna feel real nice :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Toshi said:
good to hear you guys aren't seriously injured. Roasted, what trail and jump did this happen on?
Crack (maye crank) it up, there is a quad jump with one hip at the left. I didn't land quite right :D...its like a mini-aline/boneyard. I was just starting to get my jumping confidence (I have always hated jumpin haha)

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
Heal up.
hopefully that doesn't discourage you from jumping. Crank it Up is a great place to gain confidence and practice your new-skewel stuntary. I wish I had a trail like that when I was learning to jump and wallride and such

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Thanks guys. Tylonal with codeine and some anti inflamatories (man this stuff shuts my brain down haha). Hopefully I can come back quickly :)

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Healing vibes! I got my Pressure Suit from UPS a week from last Wednsday and went up last weekend to Cypress to ride the lift and prep for Whistler since I've never done lift access riding before. Great time up there, fun place to learn, but as I was rolling the trail with the wall ride I came up on it having forgotten it was there. So I nearly pass it, then think "I have enough speed to hit the end of it." Uh, no. Ass-over-teakettle cartwheel out of the wall ride to landing first on plastic shoulder cup=best $100 I ever spent on protective gear. Got a nice little red mark where my broken should would have been. Looking forward to Whistler next weekend!