Quantcast

whistler guys...mid sept?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Question for all the whistler guys on the board about mid september (14th - 21). How is it? Is garbo still open? We've been going to the mountain for the past 7 years at different times throughout the summer but decided to go later in the year this year...Hoping for some cooler temps, more moisture, and a less punched out park.

When do they usually shut down garbo? I def want to make sure that is open for our trip...Thanks for the help.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Sorry, thread hijack. When you say "cooler temps" in September, does that imply that Whistler is hot and uncomfortable during the summer? I'm going in July, and I'm looking at condo rentals; is air-conditioning a must?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Sept is the best time to ride the park. Hands down. Do it you will love it. You can always ride the gondy up to the top if they shut the chair down.

Sorry, thread hijack. When you say "cooler temps" in September, does that imply that Whistler is hot and uncomfortable during the summer? I'm going in July, and I'm looking at condo rentals; is air-conditioning a must?
yeah, it was 85-95 last year in july. It can get hot. Usually ride from 10-1, 1-4 at lost lake, then 4-8.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it can get pretty hot during the day, but it generally isn't very humid and cools off rapidly after the sun goes down.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Question for all the whistler guys on the board about mid september (14th - 21). How is it? Is garbo still open? We've been going to the mountain for the past 7 years at different times throughout the summer but decided to go later in the year this year...Hoping for some cooler temps, more moisture, and a less punched out park.

When do they usually shut down garbo? I def want to make sure that is open for our trip...Thanks for the help.
while they may not run Garbo chair on the weekdays later Sept, they generally allow uploading to the roundhouse on the gondola....of course, all subject to weather, etc...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah whistler gets pretty warm in mid summer, nothing insane but under a helmet it's hot. Just looking for a change of pace, less crowds, better dirt and more laps...

Flip thanks man that is really helpfull.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
no prob, and fall riding is generally pretty awesome, fav time of the year for both park and non-park trails when they start getting a bit of moisture back

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no prob, and fall riding is generally pretty awesome, fav time of the year for both park and non-park trails when they start getting a bit of moisture back
Yep plan on hitting both for sure, might actually bring our AM bikes this year so we can get more out of park riding going than in park...

i'm headed out there august but planning on flying into seattle and driving up. 50/50 on bringing A bike. but now wondering if I should bring the Bronson over the V10c. probably be capable on 60-75% of the liftserved trails at whistler? but then also enjoy some of the more pedally options in the valley and squamish?

yay? or nay?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i'm headed out there august but planning on flying into seattle and driving up. 50/50 on bringing A bike. but now wondering if I should bring the Bronson over the V10c. probably be capable on 60-75% of the liftserved trails at whistler? but then also enjoy some of the more pedally options in the valley and squamish?

yay? or nay?
i wished for a trail bike when i stayed there in 2010. whole season with only a dh bike is not enough. you soon realize that the park is only like 30-40%? of the valley

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay

yay? or nay?
How long are you going to be there? If a week or less, just bring the DH. A shorter travel bike is simply going to make you get tired faster at the bike park. If it's your first time at Whistler, I doubt riding valley trails will enter your mind.

I've only ridden Squamish once, we shuttled up, and the trail was steeper than anything at the bike park, and possibly the steepest trail I've ever laid eyes on. A trail bike would have been easier to put on my back and hike down with, I suppose.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
How long are you going to be there? If a week or less, just bring the DH. A shorter travel bike is simply going to make you get tired faster at the bike park. If it's your first time at Whistler, I doubt riding valley trails will enter your mind.
This is the same advice I would give, you wont want to leave the park when you realize how big it is...A week will let you cover everything and get to know the lines so you can hit them properly.

An AM bike will do well at whistler if you know the park and ride more groomed lines, if you get into the more tech steep it would be a handful. We are just mixing it up this year, have ridden the park for years and are sick of trying to do xc rides in the valley with dh bikes...

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Mid-Sept is the best time in Whistler. Almost zero line ups, hero dirt and cooler temps.

Bring some wet weather gear just in case.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Worca do an app which is awesome. It's about 10bucks but worth every penny.

Last September was amazing, I rode the peak chair top of the world on closing day in a tshirt. I was here in fall 2010 and we were wrapped up and wearing waterproofs at the beginning of September.

Long range weather forecasts in Whistler are definitely guess work.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Are people really going for a week and hucking themselves down the steepest tech they can find? Most of my shorter visits have been later in the season (sept/oct) but most times i spend those trips on the lighter laps the worst thing I might hit is dirt merchant on one of my final days.

People REALLY underestimate the greens of the whistler bike park (i don't mean easy does it) go ride shady acres and del bocca vista most people i know once they've done that don't want to do much else.

All that aside Canadian open and DRC on a AM bike would suck so if that's your flavour on a week long trip take the sled.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are people really going for a week and hucking themselves down the steepest tech they can find? Most of my shorter visits have been later in the season (sept/oct) but most times i spend those trips on the lighter laps the worst thing I might hit is dirt merchant on one of my final days.

People REALLY underestimate the greens of the whistler bike park (i don't mean easy does it) go ride shady acres and del bocca vista most people i know once they've done that don't want to do much else.

All that aside Canadian open and DRC on a AM bike would suck so if that's your flavour on a week long trip take the sled.
I think it depends on preferenace right? Personally I like the tech w/ some flow like o sin (not goats gully)...But yeah steeps are fun...Personally I think some of the best trails on the mtn are the newer low mtn singletrack like, weds night, tech noir and a bunch of that type of stuff...thats the great part about the park so much choice...

I am indeed a whistler newb. 1st timer in the park. I will just be renting a v10 me thinks. I am choosing august due to higher likelihood of consistent sunny weather. Its the week before crankworx...are trails gonna be whupped by then? Or be freshly prepped for the week ahead?

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I am indeed a whistler newb. 1st timer in the park. I will just be renting a v10 me thinks. I am choosing august due to higher likelihood of consistent sunny weather. Its the week before crankworx...are trails gonna be whupped by then? Or be freshly prepped for the week ahead?
They do lots of maintenance all summer. There will normally be at least a couple of trails that are beat up, and a couple of trails that will be in awesome shape.

DH bike for sure. It opens up a lot more terrain on the mountain. Unless you're like that guy on the HT Chromag. He's just a weirdo.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
samnation said:

Del Bocca, Blueseum etc are fun, but you're hardly "hucking yourself" in the bike park. That's one of the fantastic things about bike parks, if you're at trail speed and an experienced rider you can plop your front wheel off everything.

I'd be happy to ride an am bike with dual oly tyres in the park, the main reason I don't is because I have to pay to maintain the thing! The DH bike really comes into play racing or outside the park.