Quantcast

Whistler in July...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've been there at the beginning of July, and the Garbanzo had just opened. The upper Garbo ski trails still had almost 2' of snow, and the bike trails were shoveled out, but wet and sloppy, and cold up top. The base felt like a different planet; it was around 80 degrees or so and dry.
I'm not sure how typical that is, but a couple weeks later should be just fine. And, I just scheduled this year's Whistler trip for about the same time as you.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It'll be fine. Plenty of terrain will be available. Weather is usually pretty dry by the end of July.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That's roughly when TOTW opens, I've always been there just too soon.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
most of the hill is already bare right now , so no worries come July , it can be very wet though , my Bday is July 23rd and i ride every year up there and last year it was ugly . did a warm up lap and full pull on blue velvet and wrecked on a drop taking the wrong line , from there the day got really bad as it starting raining sidewys and was freezing cold with heavy winds and rain . only did 4 hits before calling it a day due to heavy heavy rain storms .

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
We've had a pretty historically poor winter snowfall wise. Getting a late flurry now but snow cover is thin for this time of year in 90% of the bike park. Would expect Garbo to be open by July but wouldn't bank on top of the world, though it's possible.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
top of the world has been open the last 2 julys i have been up there for my bday rides , i just did not feel like paying the Extra $60 i think it was for one trip on that trail

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'll be there the 9th-17th of July. Maybe I'll get lucky and mtg will let me ride a Megatrail....

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Top of the World being open shouldn't be the deciding factor, late July is usually amazing weather wise. As of today the lower park / fitzsimmons zone is clear enough already that they could open it if not for the extensive rain damage the trails have suffered. The snow cover up in Garbo is the thinnest I've ever seen for this time of year so it should melt out quickly too. Up in the alpine though it's actually still pretty deep and continuing to snow so could take a little longer to be ready.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
top of the world has been open the last 2 julys i have been up there for my bday rides , i just did not feel like paying the Extra $60 i think it was for one trip on that trail
I've ridden it a number of times, and from what I recall, it's around $10-$15 extra. And, you don't have to hike up to Ride Don't Slide :)

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
I've ridden it a number of times, and from what I recall, it's around $10-$15 extra. And, you don't have to hike up to Ride Don't Slide :)
$65 for park +$18 for 1 ride on top of the world .

if you guys get up to BC this summer i, d like to try a mega out , got a deal thru Kona for this year but there is always next year .

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Hmm, I wonder if they raised the prices. Ive also always bought the Triple Play pass, maybe it's cheaper to get the TOTW pass if you have a Triple Play. Maybe my memory is just broken.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i,m not a park rat so i go 1 or twice a season , truthfully i,d rather ride in the Fraser Valley and Squamish most of the guys i ride with are trail rats on 130/160mm bikes .

Due to a nagging achilles and ankle injury, ive throttled back a fair amount. I am, admittedly, more risk adverse and staying on terra forma rather than airing it out.

I still like tech, but cooling it on the bigger jumps and drops. I am planning on bringing my enduro 27.5. Riding 4 or 5 days, i want to have at least a day to explore the valley trails.