Quantcast

Whistler - Lower Joyride.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
They tore out the sketchy ladder section at the bottom of lower joyride, and have replaced it with a much wider ladder, with the same concept. You can hit it with speed now, and gap the middle section. Directly after the ladder, they have taken all the rocks out, made the trail 6 feet wide, and made it a ton smoother, to allow for the speed people will be hitting it at.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Once Long ago (like 2003)We were styanding there like sissies once and this girl rode up. She asked if anyone was hurt, We said No. She then asked "whats the problem then" and proceeded to clean the section.We all still walked it....

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
oly said:
Once Long ago (like 2003)We were styanding there like sissies once and this girl rode up. She asked if anyone was hurt, We said No. She then asked "whats the problem then" and proceeded to clean the section.We all still walked it....

ahaha...I remember that! (I'm pretty sure it was in '02)

Of course that was shortly after I took a nice spill on my face and jammed a couple of fingers so I wasn't feeling all that confident at the time

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I rode that but didn't gap it. Sounds like it went the way of lower clown shoes with the "wide elevated wood trails" in place of "skinnies".

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
im gutted too, i had serious issues with that last year, i'd got it dialled this year and now they take it away:mad:

im not completely unsympathetic to the bikeparks view though, it was abit of a death trap in the wet. they often close lower joyride when it gets real wet and im guessing thats one of the reasons.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
cordlikesbikes said:
the really steep step ladder with the orange fence/netting on the right side? i hope not!!
Yes....thats the one.

I was talking to the guy building it, and he said that too many people were wrecking on it so the mountain wanted it changed.

However this is where it gets interesting.

Yesterday I heard, the guy who built it, does not work for the mountain. He was a private contractor. I guess he got a little crazy and made it different, to how the mountain wanted it.

He tore out the existing woodwork, and had 95% of its replacement, done by Saturday night, and then on Sunday the mountain came to look at it, and it wasnt what they expected.

The mountain realized if people are going to hit this with speed, they will kill themselves when they exit the woodwork, and get back onto the trail, as they would be carring too much speed.

So the mountain brought in an excavator on Monday and completely tore out the trail directly after the woodwork, and put a dirt transition at the end of the ladder, to where its a seamless exit.

As of 30 minutes ago, its still not open, and the excavated section still needs a ton of work.

I agree though, that was one of the more sketchy stunts on the moutain.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I always squealed like a pig going down that thing. It is (was) kinda the crux of that trail. Sad to see it go. Hopefully the new stuff will be good.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
LAME!

Favorite section on the hill no question. For some reason I always road really well through there, hardly any problems for 3 seasons straight. Oh well, I hope what they replace it with is fun in a different way.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
There may just be the possibility that the Mt.is trying to move most of the Black and Double Black diamond stuff higher on the mt.As the sport grows (which is a good thing)there will be a higher percentage of beginers and intermediate level riders.Therefore a higher percentage of the trails will be designed for them.If the Mt wants to attract that market they will have to provide more trails that are ridable(not closed)for a greater portion of the season.More money that the Mt. can bring in then more they can spend expanding.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Everyone seems to forget one thing. Whistler is a destination resort. If a section of a trail is causing lots of carnage, then they are going to replace it with something that still presents a challenge to the majority, but is safe.

If you ask bike park management about why certain sections of the mountain have been "paved" or "dumbed down" over the years they will tell you the same thing. They are not catering to the hardcores as they don't bring in the bulk of the money, but if you look at the people who buy day passes, rent bikes, and try to push their limits, you will find where the most cash comes from.

Me with my 200$ seasons pass asking why they made a favorite section of mine easier is of less concern than a family of 5 each dishing out 50$/ticket/day plus other expenses who want to try these "expert trails" but can't seem to do so without getting hurt.

I agree certain things are best left alone, but it comes down to liability and the all mighty dollar.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I dunno about that. If you've ever stood in the lift line up there over the last two seasons, the vast majority are the "hardcores" looking for the latest challenge. I think is has nothing to do with money (making) and everything to do with liability and straight common sense. Yes, they do want to draw the families up there but I think their really trying to save themselves from being seen as a place where one could get seriously hurt as opposed to a place that is well thought out and fun for all skill levels. It is exactly the same as a ski area mentality. People understand the rating systems.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive ridden Whistler a lot and I cant remember the spot you guys are talking about. Does anyone have a pic of the stunt?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Is the ladder in the background the one they removed. I dont remember that being that hard except it was steeeeeeeep.

Forecaster

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Seattle
Last year I rode up with one of the builders. He told me there was a change in trail buiding strategy on the hill. He said that 85 % of the trails were built for 10 % of the riders. This year they wanted to build a higher percentage of trails for 50 % of the riders.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
i think thats retarded. thats why trails are marked double black. I have nothing against them building more easier trails, but don't dumb down the black/double blacks.

retards shouldnt be hacking down lower joyride on their Kona rentals anyways

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Forecaster said:
Last year I rode up with one of the builders. He told me there was a change in trail buiding strategy on the hill. He said that 85 % of the trails were built for 10 % of the riders. This year they wanted to build a higher percentage of trails for 50 % of the riders.
That's bull****! They are not many hard section up there (if you ignore the boneyard which is not really "trail riding"). This was actually one of the few I was looking forward to hit this year because I never managed to clean it last year.

Most of the mountain is rideable by most. Lower Joyride and clowshoe are the only 2 really hard trails!

I am kind of disappointed.

Mani_UT said:
Most of the mountain is rideable by most....
...Perhaps to a semi-pro DH'er. :rolleyes: ;)

There's plenty of stuff you can mangle/dismember yourself on within spitting distance of the resort. If a particular section on the mountain proper was seen as dangerous and a liability issue, of course they're going to change it. Sure, perhaps it's a bit of a disappointment to The Hardcore Brethren, but if we want places like Whistler to exist at all, it's in their - and out - best interest to cart as few people off the mountain on a back board as possible.

I'm sure it's not an easy job to balance technical difficultly & risk-factor on the one hand, and liability on the other. Even with mods to established and cherished stunts, I'm grateful that Whistler exists at all, and I for one won't have any less of a smile on my face coming down the mountain in a couple weeks. :D

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I'll still be smiling the next time I go there but to say that 85% of the trails are designed for 10% of the riders is bull. Last year we went late august as a group of 15 with many mixed levels, including some very intermediate/beginner girls (not able to do a 1' drop when they got there.). They rode most of everything over their stay except for lower joyride and clowshoes.

On the other hand, despite what you might think I am a big sissy and am afraid of skinnies, big moves... Yet I would not mind to have a couple trails that scare me and force me to stop and think for a second.. Anyway.. 19 days and I am there :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
SprungShoulders said:
...Perhaps to a semi-pro DH'er. :rolleyes: ;)

There's plenty of stuff you can mangle/dismember yourself on within spitting distance of the resort. If a particular section on the mountain proper was seen as dangerous and a liability issue, of course they're going to change it. Sure, perhaps it's a bit of a disappointment to The Hardcore Brethren, but if we want places like Whistler to exist at all, it's in their - and out - best interest to cart as few people off the mountain on a back board as possible.

I'm sure it's not an easy job to balance technical difficultly & risk-factor on the one hand, and liability on the other. Even with mods to established and cherished stunts, I'm grateful that Whistler exists at all, and I for one won't have any less of a smile on my face coming down the mountain in a couple weeks. :D
I'm only an expert DH racer and although Whistler is a challenge, most of the stuff is very ridable after a few days to get up to speed. I am bummed that they have made stuff easier over the years, but on the flip side they are adding TONS of great new stuff every year to make up for it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That section was complete carnage in the wet. I can see why they changed it.
I can also see why they can't live with the "new" woodwork. I gapped it by accident my second time down. Very doable, but you exit with a ton of speed into what will soon be blown out trail.

moondog

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Ballard, WA
I'm sad because I was looking forward to hitting it this year. I walked it in the wet once, but never ended up making it back over there. Ok, ok so maybe I even walked it once when it was dry.

It would get your heart beating just looking at it.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Joyride sure is fun. I did it on for sweeps on Sat. The new ladder is actually pretty nice. It isn't a vast departure from what was there before. It's basically "M" shaped and about 3 feet wide with fresh cedar.
I rolled it both times and contemplated gapping it but wasn't feeling it. It's a steady roll down the first hump with limited traction. Once you crest with you're back tire all traction is gone and gravity pulls you over the second hump pretty swiftly and into the much wider runout . It's not all that bad, and it should be just as wiley in the rain as the old........well, almost!

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
After seeing the change in person I think I like it. Its easyer to roll it but if you gaped it would be just as much of a rush, if not more, then before they changed it. I was glad when I got to it on my hard tail after a night of rain, I would have been walikin otherwise. If I had not hit the stunt a bunch in the last 2 seasons I would have been pissed though.

Anyone know whats up with that trial just after lower frieght train on the left. It starts with a bunch of drops. The last drop is about 15 feet of a massive rock, it is in nwd 6, shleys section. I saw it on the left of lower duffman. I heard that it might open as a "pro line", anyone know if this is true?

cervo

Chimp
Jun 16, 2006
Hi guys.
For every body who's complainning about it, did you actually rode it?
Because i built it the way it still tons of fun and that easy like you can think, if i done it 3 and 4 feet wide in thick cedar slats, it's not for nothing... droping it is the way to go... rolling is for chicken ( no offenses to roller guys ;) )or really wet days...

The trail you are talking about must be side track, no? it's cool a-line/freight train/dirt merch kind of trail and richie's drop won't be there soon anymore...it will be a black daimond or maybe double if am building some stuff in it but because am probably leaving for an other bike park it won't happen, wait and see...

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I finally hit it the other day, and it is fairly simple. Nothing to it really. It still is fun though.

If the previous stunt was a difficulty level of 10 (out of 10), the new one is a 4.

Oh, and there is no chance of walking around it.