Quantcast

whistler memorial weekend

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
We're planning on going up...Hmm, I might actually ride my mtb for a change.
Got room for a beaver on the ride up and back?:biggrin: Only can stay one night though. I have a place to crash so no worries there.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
im ready for the weekend!!

talked to Ash, word is that itll be dry this weekend with all this weekes and weekends sun. and dirt merchant opened today i hear!

everything is butter and prime, riding conditions are perfect

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
DM is not open at this stage. I thought it would be today...but still no dice.

The park is prime though. Aline is mint.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
stay at the tantalus, prolly alllmost as cheap, and its pretty nice, close to the lifts and everything
erin- you mind if i crash in your room saturday and sunday night? hahaha. i might be coming up to ride sunday. i don't know what the laws are about hotels but i don't know if i can get a room since i'm 18.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
erin- you mind if i crash in your room saturday and sunday night? hahaha. i might be coming up to ride sunday. i don't know what the laws are about hotels but i don't know if i can get a room since i'm 18.
dude i dont care, but its Harrys descion not mine, his dad paid for it, and it me, harry, harrys dad and ty in it. ask harry, im kool though

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
posted by ash today

The weather has been perfect for riding, and the park conditions, are even better. I managed to scrape in 4 quick laps today. I love riding the rough, technical stuff, however Chris (Armstrong) was egging me on to hit A-Line. After we got half way down, what was supposed to be a casual warm up style run (they never are), I discovered why he was so persistant. Aline was just butter today. Its in perfect shape. On the next chair up, we didn’t even have to have the "What are we going to hit now discussion". Enough said there.

Dirt Merchant is still not open. When I pushed up a couple of days before the park opened, there was a foot of snow from the top of Fitz, along the connector trail, and down into the first berm of DM. Lets hope they have it open soon.

Schleyer has had a little dirt added, and is in fantastic condition, and Lower Joyride is drying out, and only has a couple of sketchy sections left.

Upper Whistler Downhill still has snow on the trail after the first step-up, through the 2 high speed corners, however after that, its great.

The surprise of the day, had to be Heart of Darkness. It's prime right now, and looks like it has had some work done, in the last couple of days. Dirt has been added to several sections. I don’t ride that trail as much as I should.

The rumor of the day (which comes from an excellent source), suggests that Crack Addict is getting a rebuild, about 20 yards to the right of the trail that we know now.

Later.

Ash

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
We are sitting here in the Holiday Inn Express hotel and yesterday, conditions were the best I've seen in awhile but today it rained really hard all morning till about noon and it started to dry and by the end of the day, they were as good as yesterday

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
yeqa eren here. bike park was suppper muddy yesterday mroning till 12 then mint by 3pm. today is sunny at 68-69 degrees and it is going to be MINT. and canadians have school/work today so it should be pretty empty!!!

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
IT WAS ****ING RAD!!!!

anyone know who the person was taking pics at the GLC Sunday afternoon?

all the trails are in really good condition right now. Schleyer to Detroit Rock was the best run, but pinnin it down A-line rocked too.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
ARGG i said goin down angry pirate to crab apple hits. damn man those thangs are BOOSTIN right now. so freaking sick!! AHHH

goin back in 3 weeks!
yah that run was mint. but I have to go with nate. i was up there saturday and schleyer to rock city was the best run of the day. It was looking like a pretty wet and miserable day in the morning but turned out pretty nice by 12 o clock and dried up a bit. the new bx is super fun as well. still haven't got the whole thing dialed, but its gonna be sweet once its all hardpack later on in the season.

edit- i'm probably gonna wait til the upper lift opens til i go back again. lower mtn is fun, but the trails up above on garby are what keep me coming back to whistler.

jid2

Chimp
May 4, 2007
Auburn - Redmond, WA
ARGG i said goin down angry pirate to crab apple hits. damn man those thangs are BOOSTIN right now. so freaking sick!! AHHH

goin back in 3 weeks!
The Crab Apple jumps were indeed puttin' out. The lips were solid and set to "launch" mode. I think all the A-line jumps got a little bigger with steeper lips as well. It's funny I think Crank It Up is like the way A-Line was it's original year and the jumps have slowly gotten bigger and more dense each year.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well...here's a quick rundown of my 4 1/2 days up there:

Thursday: No lift lines. Hot! Took about 10 runs. Rode with some locals for a bit. Drank beer in the evening.

Friday: No lift lines. Hot! Took 11 - 13 runs (something like that). Rode with more locals. Drank more beer.

Saturday: Lines. Warm...got cold...sprinkled a little...felt good. Hooked up with some peeps from the Seattle area. Rode some mint trails. Drank a lot of beer. Passed out on couch with beer still in hand around 2:30am.

Sunday: Raining. Rain stopped at about 12:30. Took some runs as things dried out. Rode with the same peeps. Drank more beer.

Monday: Perfect conditions. Took a few runs to start off the day. Met up with Sully of Rotec Cycles and took some runs with him. Last run down Aline blew the front tire...just a stupid mistake...kinda sucked, but no crash so that's good.

Now I get to rip apart my entire bike to make sure everything is still ok after 40 runs and to perform some mandatory maintenance so I can go back up this coming weekend!!!

Trail Report:

Crank It Up: Mint condition. Some pretty rough braking bumps in some corners but great flow. Squirrel Rating: A

Devil's Club: A tad muddy. Wood bridges still have traction. Rocks are slippery when wet. Squirrel Rating: B-

Heart of Darkness: Mint condition. It's fun. That is all. Squirrel Rating: A+

Smoke and Mirrors: Pretty good condition. Not a "in the wet" trails but good times whenever it's dry. Squirrel Rating: A-

Angry Pirate: Lots and lots of work went into this trial. It has a better flow. Bad ass. Squirrel Rating: A

Upper Whistler Downhill: Great condition. I like it. Squirrel Rating: A

Lower Whistler Downhill: Best condition evar! Rough, fast, tight, techy. Has it all. Squirrel Rating: A+

A-Line: Tacky & flowy...What it should be. I found myself clearing about 85% of everything (Last year I ended the season clearing about 45% of things...), it's a blast!! Only gripe is the 4-pack (it's been built up a bit...) that looks like a BMX park line...kinda whacky hittin' it with a DH bike...but whatev, I survived. Squirrel Rating: A

Detroit Rock City: Rough & rocky but with flow. Not exactly the best trail to hit after the rain came through...but I'm alive. Squirrel Rating: A

Ho Chi Minh: Techy singletrack. Not as tech as LWD but still flowy and fun, even when wet. Gets you used to slippery roots, which ALWAYS comes in handy. Squirrel Rating: A

Karate Monkey (NEW): More single track with a lot of flow. Just rails. Love it. Squirrel Rating: A+

Schleyer: So nice. Want to ride it all day. Just plain fun. Squirrel Rating A+

Biker X Course: Big. Big. Big. Did I mention BIG?!?! Just rolled most of it (Launched a couple of the tables just cause...) and wow...taking a 10-15 foot stepdown on a 4X bike will make it real interesting. Squirrel Rating: A+ (A scary A+ at that...)

Boneyard: Staff Housing now has a kicker lip on the big side and the small side you still have to keep speed cause there's a gap to the tranny now... The Giro Trailer has a dual-level wallride: One to transfer to ride the side of the trailer and one to get you on top of it. Looks soooo sick. Big road gap stepdown is back this year along with a bunch of other gap jumps and hips...it's going to be nutz. Squirrel Rating: A+

Didn't ride Joyride (upper or lower) or Clown Shoes. Heard Joyride was pretty much dialed though.

Healing vibes to GrapeApe who may have separated her shoulder on one of the rock faces on the LWD. Heal up quick.

No pics...I know, I suck...I forgot my camera. But I rememberred the beer...

That's it. Peace out.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
A-Line: Tacky & flowy...What it should be. I found myself clearing about 85% of everything (Last year I ended the season clearing about 45% of things...), it's a blast!! Only gripe is the 4-pack (it's been built up a bit...) that looks like a BMX park line...
That 4-pack was my favorite part of the trail.