Quantcast

Whistler off mtn riding?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
We're looking for some riding at Whistler besides lift serviced. Last time there we hit Kill me, Thrill me and had fun, but we're looking for something else this time. Something that's totally rad! My buddy did Comfortably Numb and liked it, but from the several videos I've seen it seems very weight weenie, spandex wearing, 29'er loving geeks oriented. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We're looking for a several hour ride with sweet views, some nice spots to stop and enjoy the views, some tech, some flow.

WE totally want to enduro™ the shit out of it, Yo!

The biggest problem is that we're not going to have a vehicle, so we'll have to stay somewhat close. A 20 mile ride would be awesome. Is there anything around to pull this off?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you can arrange a ride out to Pemberton, try that too. The names I remember (though things have probably changed in the 6 years since I've been) are Gravitron/Gravitrout, Creampuff, Cop Killer (my personal favourite, despite the name), & Stimulus.

For Whistler valley riding, look here: http://www.worca.com/trails/

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
ok, some options.

not great views on this one but wicked fun trails and all in one zone. do the trifectia. Start with microclimate, then do hey bud and finish her off with crazy train. All tech, all the time, all the fun.

Another option would be to grab a top of the world lift ticket, then go top of the world, khyber pass, then middle of nowhere, to kasmier, to kush, ride up the road to duncans to ampm, then ride to dustys for a beer and bbq.

all these trails are on trailforks so you should be good to find it out and ride em!

Sep 11, 2015
Will vouch for Microclimate. That trail is hella fun, and you can ride it from the village. I do recall the entrance being pretty nondescript and having to kinda look for it, though.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Wiscodh, are they DH trails from Top of the World or more AM/Enduro (or whatever the hell it's called this week)?

We're mainly looking for a day off of our DH bikes and renting something.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
All the valley trails in Whistler are within rideable distance. From function to Emerald, you can pedal to access them all. I recommend you do some research on Trailforks for the layout of the trail systems so you can familiarize yourself with how to connect the dots.

1 suggestion that hits your wants would be to pedal up Stonebridge Place and hit the Flank trail to Rockwork Orange, Korova Milkbar, to Wizard Burial Ground. Great trails, there's a few killer viewpoints on the first 2 trails, and lots of features to keep you on your toes. Be warned though, as far as difficulty goes, Black/Double Black trails in the PNW are usually on a whole other level than the rest of the world.

If you want to keep it a bit tamer, then I recommend Duncan's trail / It's Business Time. A couple of viewpoints of Function and a less technical but more physical (fitness required) ride. Still a black trail.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Here's what I've learned from riding around there over the last 12 or so years just as an off day or two from the bike park.

-Valley trails are the sickest ever, and constitute the 'real riding' in the whistler area
-"sickest ever" means a bunch of inconsistently graded trails that offer little sustained descending without a bunch of punchy climbs and some of the most hilarious routing ever, usually just to get to some stupid rock rollover
-mentioning this will get you called a pussy by the true 'core whistler bros' who seem to have honestly really never ridden anywhere else and will say riding fast is just for the bike park.
-Most of them were built by guys on hardtail 29ers that think 18 hour rides that destroy your will to live are 'fun'
-If you ride a trail you don't like, you just didn't ride the 'real stuff' there that all shares the same fundamental characteristics as the stuff you didn't like
-FlipFantasia and Shirk will now log in to insult me.

Some of the stuff that got opened up for the last EWS race is actually pretty fun. That microclimate loop wisco just mentioned is a good one. Comfortably numb is lame and is routed like someone trying to hide from a sasquatch. Even dudes who live there call it uncomfortable bum. You can get to some other stuff by using part of it though. Don't listen to the sillyness about how gnarly/tech/whatever anything is, they're all just bike trails and if you ride dh, nothing will look out of the ordinary. See eastcoastRox™ for reference. Same phenomenon.

Nice views, neat pretty forests...that's pretty much everywhere.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most of them were built by guys on hardtail 29ers that think 18 hour rides that destroy your will to live are 'fun'
when you ride a 29'er hardtail for 18 hours and break your boner, you've got no will to live will anyways and then these kinds of rides seem like a reasonable thing to do

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Wiscodh, are they DH trails from Top of the World or more AM/Enduro (or whatever the hell it's called this week)?

We're mainly looking for a day off of our DH bikes and renting something.
all trails i mentioned should be ridden on a non dh bike You will have fun.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Use a 'sampler' pass at the bike park, do 3 runs, with the being into creekside. Jump on 99 and head down to function, do any of the above mentioned trails off the flank, jump in lake at the end. Would be a fun day.

Seriously though, try to hitch a ride and do some riding in squamish, so much fun down there.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
... and hit the Flank trail to Rockwork Orange, Korova Milkbar, to Wizard Burial Ground. Great trails, there's a few killer viewpoints on the first 2 trails, and lots of features to keep you on your toes. Be warned though, as far as difficulty goes, Black/Double Black trails in the PNW are usually on a whole other level than the rest of the world.
Absolutely on this route. I did this last year (well, didn't get high enough to catch Rockwork Orange first) did Korova Milkbar>Wizards Burial Ground >Lower Beaver Pass. and it's a great ride. The view from the entrance to Korova -

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it's all shit, listen to woo.

or go do pigs on the wing/short bus, pura vida, billy epic, howler, green monster, and pretty much anything on blackcomb. Peak to Creek via TOTW/Khyber/Middle of Nowhere/Kasmir/Kush is over an hour and a half of descending for a slightly above average rider, but yeah, there's some pedalling here and there, waaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! you could also Khyber into Babylon/See Colours/High Side to function brewery completion

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Some random 'jaws' footage from 2012 that a guy I met put up
Nothing special but you get to see me crash at 0:30

There's lots of cool trails to ride like FlipFantasia says, as long as you don't mind a climb.