Quantcast

Whistler on a sluggo?

BR andon

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Az
Im building up a burly HT, the soul cycle sluggo and my friends and i have a trip planned to whistler this summer. I was going to take my haro extreme but the frame broke and now i dont have to much money and i came across the sluggo cheap and the sluggo works really well for the type of riding i do in AZ. I am wondering if anyone has taken a HT to whistler? how was your experience? and do you have any trails you suggest thanks.

I know whistler will be more fun on a fully suspension but i dont have the money to get one in time for the trip.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've seen it done on hardtails. depends on how smooth you are and how heavy you are. one of my buds hit the clownshoes drop on a planet-x hardtail with a psylo. gutsy.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
If it means anything to you my buddy rode his imperial at Diablo. He managed to make it through the day with only a handful of falls. Its not whistler but Im sure It could be done, youre probably going to be toast at the end of the day.

BR andon

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Az
Yea I figured its gonna be rough, i have been to bootleg twice on my friends HT and by the end of the day my lowerback was toast. Thanks for the quick replies ill get the sluggo built up and hopefully get use to it before we go so i can be semi smooth.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I've ridden my hardtail(s) at Diablo, Plattekill, Big Bear, Mammoth, Northstar, Downieville, Bootleg Canyon, etc...

If you feel comfortablee on it you'll be fine. Granted I get worked harder than my freinds and definately do not go as fast - but I love it.

I'm going to Whistler this summer and bringing my Sluggo as well. However I am brining my full squish... getting a bit old for HT all the time.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I've ridden my hardtail(s) at Diablo, Plattekill, Big Bear, Mammoth, Northstar, Downieville, Bootleg Canyon, etc...

If you feel comfortablee on it you'll be fine. Granted I get worked harder than my freinds and definately do not go as fast - but I love it.

I'm going to Whistler this summer and bringing my Sluggo as well. However I am brining my full squish... getting a bit old for HT all the time.
you ride like old people screw - slow and awkward :busted:

Oct 9, 2006
I rode my Norco manik built up with a dual crown and Funn wheelset at whistler this past summer on every trail and drop that I rode my fully except the big ladder bridge drop that is connected to the teeter totter drop in the slopestyle area. Even the Clown shoes drop isnt that big of a deal, eight feet at most. The only thing was switching back and forth from a hardtail to a fully kept me on my toes.

I think you will find you like it. Didnt slow me down that much.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
It is possible to ride any Easiest to Advanced trail on the mountain with a hard tail and some of the Expert double blacks.
The only real big deal is that you could do 30 rounds down on a full squish for every five runs down on a hard tail. Your just going to be sore and beat to hell a lot quicker. But the hardtail may give you more satisfaction after you clear something hard without the safety and control factor 8" gives you. That's why I enjoyed my summer more on my Cowan FS than I did on the Dirt Bag the summer before.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you have to make a choice between not going at all and going on a hardtail, the choice is clear: Go.

You'll be fine on the flowy berm and jump trails, but you'll definitely take a beating on more natural-style DH trails. You'll also have a harder time surviving multiple days, but you can always take a break and hit the DJs or skate park.

For a day or two a mid-travel bike seems best but since I tend to do like 9 days straight (and I am sort of old) I usually bring the full squish.