Quantcast

Whistler, Pemberton and Squamish?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
This year I'm really looking forward to riding the bike park at Whistler, but not as much as I'm looking forward to riding the other stuff near by, like the Whistler valley trails, Squamish and Pemberton. But I know I won't have time to do all of it so what would you recommend? I have an SX Trail and a Rotec RL-9 so I have the DH bike and AM bike covered. Just let me know what bike for what trail because I'll probably just bring one bike on a trip. Shuttling is cool, a long climb to the top is also great. Thanks for the info.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
maybe ask over at the whistler forum on nsmb.com to get a lot of the local's reccomendations.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The SX Trail would be the only choice of the two if you can only bring one. The Valley trails have lots of hard climbing, some of it technical so you'll definitely need a double up front. I'd be tempted to bring your Rotec for the park and hire an Enduro for the Valley trails.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In Pemberton, definitely ride Cream Puff, Grumpy Grouse and Cop Killer. Especially Cop Killer. it's awesome. I can't remember the names of the trails I rode in Squamish, but my shorts are still sticky from the day I spent riding there a few years ago. Stop in at Tantalus bike shop to ask what's riding well, and maybe hook up some shuttles. I'd say your SX trail is your best bet in both places.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
If you can only bring 1 bike, make it the SXT. That having been said, the last time I shuttled Squamish was the first time I ever really wished I had a big bike. If you can manage to bring 2 bikes and keep them safe, then definitely do that.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Overnight Sensation in Pemby is good times too. So many good trails there to pick from.
In Squamish there's 19th Hole and some new A-line is trail that I head is good. Also Psuedo Suga is a lot of fun.

SXT all the way.

Best bet it to goo to a shop nearby (Bike Co in Pemby, Tantalus in Squam) but a map and ask for pointers on the good trails.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Overnight Sensation in Pemby is good times too. So many good trails there to pick from.
In Squamish there's 19th Hole and some new A-line is trail that I head is good. Also Psuedo Suga is a lot of fun.

SXT all the way.

Best bet it to goo to a shop nearby (Bike Co in Pemby, Tantalus in Squam) but a map and ask for pointers on the good trails.
I just got home from my first day ever riding in Squamish, that place is SICK! The trails are IMO better than the bike park trails in Whistler if you like real DH, though obviously lacking the machine-built stuff like A-line. The new trail you're talking about is called Half Nelson and would be perfectly suited to an SXT, Bottlerocket or similar. It's pretty pedally and some bits had me scratching my head as to what you're meant to do with some of the features, but it flows well and is good fun. 19th Hole is possibly the best trail I've ever ridden. If you like it steep, tech and rough then that trail is for you!

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Yeah if you're in Squamish, you could easily ride most everything on the SX Trail. SO much around that you can peddle up to, and get a SICK downhill out of. That said, if you bring the DH you could shuttle 19th, and hit Lowdowns, Cortez, Angry Midget, Deliverance, the list of lower trails goes on and on! From Alice lake you can head up to Value Added, Crouching Squirrel top to bottom, or jump off it into Inbetweeners for a bit. All shuttle-able with a bit of hike-a-biking (Value Added is a peddle up but the down is epic and leads you into Lavacide or Icy Hole of Death). Unfortunately the only trail worthy of a good DH smacking from the top is 19th. As for pemby, hit up everything listed above for sure, Gravitron is sick to if you an get all the way up there and Phd is sweet as well (not quite in Pemby, but on the way from Whistler). Whichever bike you bringm you can definitely put it to good use.

Last edited:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Thanks for the input. I did the 19th Hole once along time ago, don't really remember the trail.

What about some of the Whistler Valley trails? I've heard mixed reviews from a lot of people. Some say there cool, some say just stick to the park.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Don't just stick to the park.

So many valley trails. I love lost lake for a chill flowy hack. Cut yer bars is fun, then there's Danimal, Kill me Thrill me, Comfortably Numb (if you are feeling energetic), Freight Train, Tunnel Vision, Ride don't slide (again if you're feeling energetic, it's a long climb to this one), Gargamel.... etc.

I love getting up to Whistler to ride the valley trails.