Quantcast

Whistler- places to stay

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
All of you who've been to Whistler: where's a good place to stay? We'll probably be there for a week mid-summer, have 6-8 people, definitely want a kitchen and a few bathrooms, and enough beds. It'd be nice if the place allowed us to keep our bikes in the room, but if not, we'll do it anyway. We also definitely want to be able to ride to the mountain, and by ride there, I mean be really close.
Price range is flexible. We don't want to slum it but can't afford super-luxurious. So who's got recommendations?

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
We stayed at some condos about a mile away or so. It was nice and we just kept our bikes in the room. We just put towels on the rear tires so they didn't mark up the walls.

I can't wait to go back this summer. Only thing is, my wife wants to come along and bring the lil guy. He'll be 1 year old but it just won't be as fun as last year's trip....drunken stupidness and puking in a toilet all night.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
When I was there, we stayed at the Marriot Residence Inn. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freshtracks.ca/images/i-ski_winter/whistler-residence_room.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.freshtracks.ca/ski_winter/sw_superior5.shtml&h=150&w=175&sz=8&tbnid=5Dvl2Z2Ek4YM4M:&tbnh=81&tbnw=95&hl=en&start=20&prev=/images?q=whistler+marriot&svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=G

Its on Blackcomb mtn. about a mile from the lifts. In the morning just ride down some trails or road, ride on the road or bikepath by the skatepark/jumps, then the lifts are not far from there, maybe 1/4 mile.

Then when you go back up, just take the shuttle/bus at the bus stop by the lifts (or you could ride up the road).

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Here is an excerpt from a thread on Whistler lodging I was saving for reference:

Your best bet is to rent a condo. I stayed in The Gables, it was a 2 minute ride to the lifts or a minute to the dirt jumps, it was quiet, and the owner allowed bikes. I suggest www.alluradirect.com for booking condos. Also, never let your bike leave your side, or bring a lock. With the amount of unlocked bikes around, a thief isn't going to want to mess with a locked one.

Yeah I've used Allura Direct for two years now and it's great. It's a service that connects tenants with condo owners. You eventually get direct contact with the owner. The first thing I do is make sure we can bring bikes into the unit. If not, I'll go somewhere else. In my experience there are plenty of condos available in the summer and most of the owners are pretty damn happy to rent them out even if it means allowing bikes. They are damn cheap too, we just had five people in a two bedroom for ten nights, it was about $950 US for the whole week! With full kitchen, laundry, hot tub, grill, the works, it was less than $200 each.
Whatever you do, DO NOT put your bikes in their "secure" storage facility. A lot of bikes were jacked from these places with ease. There are some guys on this board who have had experiences with this first hand. I think Transcend, or one of his teammates were one of them. If you do decide to use the storage facilities, I recommend bringing a sleeping bag and a sawed-off in there with you for the night.

Flips

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
whistler
Hey, there are a lot of good places in town here that fit your description. Try resortquest (resortquest.com), they have a ton of rentals. there are lots of townhomes too. also try alluradirect.com.

on word of wisdom...NEVER LEAVE YOUR BIKES IN STORAGE...unless it as at the the westin or four season or something like that. Never. If people tell you that you can't bring them in the room tell them to shove it.

People go come up from the city to go to stealing ramages....you dont want to get caught in that. GUARD YOUR BIKE.

If you have anymore questions...feel free to PM me.

Later!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Thanks SKC, that's exactly the kind of info I need.

Flips- I've heard way too many stories of jacked bikes. I'm bringing in my Kryptonite New York chain for sure. I'm gonna make sure my bikes are covered by my parents homeowners insurance as well, so if they do get stolen, at least I'll get money.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Deerlodge is pretty nice too. It is in the middle of town. I like Stoney Creek the best though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Stoney Creek is real close too. There are 2 Stoney Creeks right next to each other. One has a outside pool and the other one doesnt. Its pretty much the only place I stay now. Plus they give a 10-15% discount for repeat customers.

Jan 18, 2006
Whatever you do, do not stay at Stoney Creek, we had a few bikes stolen last year due to the screwups of the management and some "lost keys" The inside track is to check out www.vrbo.com It is a website that allows you to view house rentals all over the world including Whistler. The houses are managed by the owners or rep of the owners. We have used this several times and found it to be great and cheaper than some of the other accomadation options out there. We will be using it for CrankWorx this year and a few NORBA's. But please stay away from Stoney Creek they will allow you to get ripped off and stand by and do nothing!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Smelly:
I've heard way too many stories of jacked bikes. I'm bringing in my Kryptonite New York chain for sure. I'm gonna make sure my bikes are covered by my parents homeowners insurance as well, so if they do get stolen, at least I'll get money.
... It would be a better idea to keep your bikes in the room at all times. You can put down some plastic hefty bags underneath them so the carpet doesn't get trashed, and try to sneak them in the back exits. If the manager gives you any crap, then go elsewhere. There was a sticky post on the DH board for like over a year about the nightmare that some guys went through w/ stolen bikes (a couple of custom 223's, and other really nice rides).

An even better idea is to partially disassemble your bikes and stow them inside your vehicles if you can when coming and going - no point in advertising "$5000 bike over here - "...

Just some suggestions.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The shoestring lodge is stupidly cheap. and the rooms seem pretty decent. When I go up to whistler if I can ever save enough I would stay there.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
i stayed at aspens on blackcomb 120$ a night for a room that could easy fit 8 people. the room was very nice as well, kitchen 2 bathrooms, and a very large deck(could put your bikes out there for the night) our room was 3 floors up and theres was no way you could get there from the ajacent rooms. and they do have bike storage with video cameras.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
JiveFoolSucka said:
Whatever you do, do not stay at Stoney Creek, we had a few bikes stolen last year due to the screwups of the management and some "lost keys" The inside track is to check out www.vrbo.com It is a website that allows you to view house rentals all over the world including Whistler. The houses are managed by the owners or rep of the owners. We have used this several times and found it to be great and cheaper than some of the other accomadation options out there. We will be using it for CrankWorx this year and a few NORBA's. But please stay away from Stoney Creek they will allow you to get ripped off and stand by and do nothing!

We kept our bikes in our rooms. Ive stayed at both Stoney Creeks and both said it was OK to keep our bikes in the room.

VRBO,
Where did you keep your bikes? Should have kept them in your room since its OK.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Make sure you get a place that you can ride to the lifts. I put my bike on a bus once and it fell off the rack, even when the dumbass driver said it was on securley. Luckily I was so sick with a cold that I barely knew anything happened :D

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
The Tantalizer lodge is pretty good. Get a room where you can sneak your bike in through a side enterance and you are golden.

When we were there several bikes got taken from the 'safe' room.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
We stayed at Cascade Lodge last year. I dont remember exactly what it cost, but I remember thinking that we were almost ripping them off it was so cheap (compared to US standards anyway).

Its basically as close the lifts as you could possibly be w/o having one of the hotels that is above all the retail shops in the village. Maybe 1 minute ride...2-3 minute walk (and thats with waiting for traffic crossing the street).

All the rooms are accessible from the garage below so you don't have to walk by the front desk to take your bike in.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I stayed at the Listel Best Western. The rates are pretty good there, and it's right in the village. No kitchen though. Their bike room is also pretty secure, but we locked our bikes just in case.