Quantcast

Whistler report... not worthy of the Ride Reports forum

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So me and Tweek went to Whistler last week. We had two days of riding. My plan was to ride like crazy all day the first day, then slow things down and get some pics on the second day. But since it rained the second day, I didn't take my camera. Therefore this "trip report" will not be worthy of the "real" ride forum...

The trip overall was cool as hell. We got there Tuesday afternoon and it was pissing rain so we went and bought a bunch of beer and food (the condo we stayed in had a kitchen so we cooked our own food to save $$). Walked over to the Fitzsimmons chair just to figure out how far it was from the condo (about 10 minutes walk). Drank a few beers, built up our bikes, and passed out from jetlag.

Woke up at about 6am Wednesday (gotta love jetlag) and it was still raining. No matter, we're gonna ride! Ate breakfast, got geared up and headed over to get our tickets right when the lift opened. Soon as we started riding, it stopped raining and the sun came out. Things dried up in a matter of minutes and the trails were ****ing PERFECT all day. Temp was about 70 degrees at the bottom, 60 at the top of the Fitzsimmons chair, and about 40 at the top of the Garbanzo. Did all the stuff I chickened out on last time I was there, A-line rock drop, big GLC drop, etc. Clownshoes was closed. A bunch of trails are either rerouted or closed due to all the Olympic construction. Schleyer is the most fun trail there I think, it has some of everything. Rode all day and couldn't move my arms by the end. Liftlines were perfect, never waited more than 2 minutes.

Thursday it rained all day but we rode anyway and it kicked ass. All the bridges on Smoke & Mirrors and Devil's Club are grippy as hell in the wet, it was no problem to ride. At one point they opened Clownshoes and we headed down, but they had the big drop roped off. I don't think I would have hit it in the rain anyway, it's HUGE. I can't even guarantee I would have hit it on a dry day. I would have liked to have had the chance though. Next time. Once again rode all day and was dead tired by the end. Funny how you're totally spent but you keep getting on the lift anyway :D Liftlines were awesome, never waited more than about 15 seconds.

Friday we had to catch a shuttle back to the Vancouver airport so no riding, had some time to look around the village. Went over and had some grub at the GLC bar and watched people represent on the drops, and watched the occasional person tackle the smaller jumps on the slopestyle course. By then the liftlines were LONG, going during the week is DEFINITELY the way to go. I can't imagine how monsterous the lift lines must get on Saturday and Sundays.

Saturday travelled back, had some stupid bitch tell me I can't carry on my 888 because it can be used as a weapon. I was like OK, you take this 8 pound fork in a padded bag, and I'll take that 30 pound suitcase, and we'll fight, let's see who wins. She was a moron so my fork had to go in the cargo hold. Oh well.

Now I'm back at work. You can imagine how overjoyed I am about that. But my GF painted my bedroom while I was gone, so that made coming home a little better.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
did you do anything else while out there? seems like a long way to travel for 2 days of riding.
Basically, when it came down to available flights that were reasonably priced, cost of the condo, timing of shuttles and flights, available vacation time, not wanting to be there on the weekend, etc, it was the best option. Unless you've ridden Whistler you probably don't understand how much harder it is physically than our little play hills on the east coast. 2 days of riding at Whistler is plenty :thumb: although it definitely sucked to leave :(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i've been to northstar, and to morzine/les gets, so i have been on some big mountains before. but i do hear what yr saying about getting physically manhandled.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
well i've been to northstar, and to morzine/les gets, so i have been on some big mountains before. but i do hear what yr saying about getting physically manhandled.
Les Gets was awesome. I gotta get to N*. I definitely would have liked to stay longer but unfortunately I haven't won the lottery yet.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Echo said:
Did all the stuff I chickened out on last time I was there, A-line rock drop, big GLC drop, etc. Clownshoes was closed. A bunch of trails are either rerouted or closed due to all the Olympic construction. Schleyer is the most fun trail there I think, it has some of everything. Rode all day and couldn't move my arms by the end. Liftlines were perfect, never waited more than 2 minutes.

Thursday it rained all day but we rode anyway and it kicked ass. All the bridges on Smoke & Mirrors and Devil's Club are grippy as hell in the wet, it was no problem to ride. At one point they opened Clownshoes and we headed down, but they had the big drop roped off. I don't think I would have hit it in the rain anyway, it's HUGE. I can't even guarantee I would have hit it on a dry day. I would have liked to have had the chance though. Next time.
:thumb:

props for hitting more stuff than last time, and for having the good sense to not go home with a cast and a hefty bill from the whistler clinic. i, too, probably would not hit the clown shoes drop in the rain. yikes.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
You misssed a great weekend up there. Never waited longer than a minute or two in the Fitz lift line and no wait for Garbo.
The trails were in perfect condition, weather was incredible. I think it was pushing 80 on Sunday in the Village. All that rain finally dried up and the greasy spots were tacky yesterday. I didn't bring my camera either. The riding was too good to stop and take photos.

5 hour drive door to door on the way up, ~3.5-4 on the way home last night.
Had a little face-2-face with a dumpster diving bear while I was walking to my rig from the condo....sketch.