Quantcast

Whistler, Toshi-style

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i went to whistler aiming to just ride, but ended up shooting a bit too due to an injury early on, and pestering later on :D . here's what i came up with, from my first trip to whistler in a decade:

a quicktime vr panorama of garbanzo (right/shift click and save) / highlights / all the pics

i ran into many RM members:

Sean (punkassean)
Aaron (??)
Paul (El_Chimichanga) <-- hard to keep up with who he is at the moment :D
Echo (no pics, only met him)
Chris (Yeti DHer)
Jared (? don't know his s/n)
Sarah (SarahMaria)
Kristin (kristin, i think)
Andrew (mobius)
Dan (dbr)
Sanjay (Metal)
dave weagle (dw)
and probably many more whose names i can't remember now. :D 'twas all good in any case.

the riding itself was all i expected from the hype. my only disappointments: getting injured in really stupid fashion on the first day, which knocked me out for the next two days -- not such a big deal given my next gripe: my hands are no match for the mountain, even with thin grips and my brake levers as close to the bar as possible... and, finally, the last jump on a-line is too short! balance this whining against 8 full days of riding on the mountain, two great new runs on garbanzo (see the first pic, for instance), and the general luxury of total immersion into the sport and you'll see that i am one happy, if beat, camper.

a few of my favorites from the trip:

<--- that's me! :D

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Nice pic Toshi!

I was up there with Chris and Jared when I saw Toshi taking pics on that garbanzo hip thing. I was on the Giant DH team with monsters. Anyway, nice to meet you! Also nice to meet sean too!

I lub whistler...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks guys! sorry for not catching on that you are a RM member, ghettogt76, i guess i let my ask-everyone-if-they're-on-ridemonkey guard down a bit ;)

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Toshi said:
thanks guys! sorry for not catching on that you are a RM member, ghettogt76, i guess i let my ask-everyone-if-they're-on-ridemonkey guard down a bit ;)
It's cool :D I was that idiot with the broken chain trying to clear that stepup right near that hip on garbanzo... just need more speed.

Where are you from toshi?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm in portland right now, moving to seattle soon. caught a ride with sean thanks to the magic of the internet :D and his "anyone want to go to whistler?" thread here on RM.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
we just ran into the broken wheel guy in the parking lot of our condo. the last three jumps on a line are kind of weird: the first has a long downhill landing which sends you flying into the second, a long and low jump. the final hit is steep and short, on the other hand, so the unsuspecting fly way too far off of it and land flat. this guy did just that and found out how strong doublewides really are... :dead:

SarahMaria

Chimp
Nov 24, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Toshi said:
i ran into many RM members:

Sarah Marie (same)[/url]

Hi Toshi
Pretty close! It was awesome to meet you! Excellent pictures. I'm back in VA but thinking about heading back to Seattle in Sept or Oct for more riding. I'll drop you a note if I do. Your pics are incredible. SOme of the best shots of Whistler I've ever seen, and they really make me want to go back---as soon as my body heals up.
See ya,
Sarah

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
That's not me! I'm way uglier than that guy.

It was fun hanging out with you guys, bummer everybody broke thier bike/themselves the day we would have rode together. It was fun hanging out at the bar tho'.

I got to see the collective at your pad, that was fun, and I finally did some of the dirt jumps that day too. I was totally piss drunk and jumped way smoother than I usually do.

SarahMaria

Chimp
Nov 24, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
El_Chimichanga said:
That's not me! I'm way uglier than that guy.
Yeah, that picture looks so good I almost didn't recognize you :)

El_Chimichanga said:
I finally did some of the dirt jumps that day too. I was totally piss drunk and jumped way smoother than I usually do.
You mean you don't usually ride drunk? You've got to talk to DBR about that - he's a strong proponent of mixing dh and alcohol. Sometimes I take his advice....

It was a pleasure meeting you, AAron!

Sarah

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
SarahMaria said:
Yeah, that picture looks so good I almost didn't recognize you :)

You mean you don't usually ride drunk? You've got to talk to DBR about that - he's a strong proponent of mixing dh and alcohol. Sometimes I take his advice....

It was a pleasure meeting you, AAron!

Sarah
No, I don't think I met any hot chixors while I was there... so you are mistaking me for Aaron. My name is Paul.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
El_Chimichanga said:
No, I don't think I met any hot chixors while I was there... so you are mistaking me for Aaron. My name is Paul.
d'oh, my bad for mislabeling you. twice. :D it's sean's fault, i tell ya

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
T-Pirate said:
Holy crap toshi, I heart you. Not in a weird way though. Those dirt jumps shots are freakin awesome, your favorites are some of the ones i really liked also.
thanks! :oink:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Nice pics toshi and great meeting you, sean, and sanjay out there. You shoulda come to aline to snap some of me and dan i wanted to get more pics of us you missed out on this great action.