Quantcast

Whistler When Wet?

SGF2

Chimp
May 8, 2005
Portland
A few riding buddies and I are thinking of heading up to Whistler for the closing weekend. The only problem is its raining like a Stinky. Who has ridden it wet and is worth it?

The other option is to do a North Shore run and save some money on lodging.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SGF2 said:
A few riding buddies and I are thinking of heading up to Whistler for the closing weekend. The only problem is its raining like a Stinky. Who has ridden it wet and is worth it?

The other option is to do a North Shore run and save some money on lodging.
I've been to Whistler 5 times and it has rained every time except one. Doesn't matter if I go early, middle, or late in the season, I bring the rain.

It's still fun but a different kind of fun. Bring a rain jacket, some extra brake pads, and the stickiest tires you can find. Also, call and find out what trails are open, they close down a lot of the groomed good stuff when it gets really wet.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Depending on how wet it is, they sometimes close down various trails. Like Joyride, Whistler's DH, Schleyer, etc - the more "dangerous" ones. I've been there when it's wet and A-line would be shut down and the only thing open is B-line.

Garbanzo can be a mess when it's wet and muddy. The ladder sidewalk section on Duffman can be very slippery.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i generally think the shore is a much better ride in the wet. lots of good whistler stuff gets closed in the rain, and the faster trails are a silty spray fest. a couple a-lines & you're coated in grit. there are lots of well drained & armored shore trails that are good times in the rain.

SGF2

Chimp
May 8, 2005
Portland
Yeah, now I'm starting to lean away from Whistler and the North Shore and dusting off my XC bike for a nice XC ride. Its time to get into shape for skiing season.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I would say go to whistler when its wet. No Joke top to bottom is sick when its wet. I would actually rather ride whistler when its muddy.

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Rode whistler in MId july this year and it was hella wet and fun. Garbonza was close a couple of times due to the conditions but wjhen it open backed up, it was the ****tttznick when wet. I would defintely bring googles, rode w/ out googles once and i almost killed myself on crabapple hits going mach10 when raining.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
if it's raining drive the extra 25 minutes to pemberton and ride....the drainage is killer thanks to the very course nature of the soil, almost sandlike....you can ride there when it's raining and not even get muddy.....slippery sure, but not overly muddy....