Quantcast

Whistler!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One of our local hills also had that problem with the lines. If the "hiker" line got too long, they'd start sending them up in the chairs normally used by bikers. Meanwhile us paying bikers would just have to sit there, twiddle thumbs, and just wait it out...while our line got bigger and bigger.

No worries though, they've solved that problem by completely closing the lifts off to bikes. We're no longer welcome. :disgust:

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
No doubt the Creekside gondola being out action has put extra pressure on the Fitz lift. That said, not sure what else the bike park could do as most of the time, chairs are running at full capacity.

people who complain about crowds often fail to recognize that they are part of the problem:confused:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No doubt the Creekside gondola being out action has put extra pressure on the Fitz lift. That said, not sure what else the bike park could do as most of the time, chairs are running at full capacity.

people who complain about crowds often fail to recognize that they are part of the problem:confused:
Build/utilize more lifts.

Yes, they're expensive ($10M-$50M somewhere). So is the collective time of hundreds of paying customers, day in and day out. That's called the cost of running and growing a business. Capital expenditure should be expected from an operation like that after 20 years.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Build/utilize more lifts.

Yes, they're expensive ($10M-$50M somewhere). So is the collective time of hundreds of paying customers, day in and day out. That's called the cost of running and growing a business. Capital expenditure should be expected from an operation like that after 20 years.
Or build trails on Blackcombe and start running the Excalibur gondola.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^micro climate et al would get SO pounded.

they did run the magic chair for a season or so; just feeding a couple beginner trails.

my kid has the park bug currently; while i'm more that happy to earn my turns & avoid the maddening hoards, he's like PARK PARK PARK. damn lazy kids these days. that said, dusting off the jumpy trail skills has been fun.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
there are always gonna be times when lift lines are overly long (Crankworx; issues with lift) but for the most part, wait times are acceptable. Proposing new lifts/expanding the park has parallels with induced demand as a result of building new highways.

D09FEF0B-103F-4E4C-A49C-2D498ADC7A4B.jpeg

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
^^ Didn't they widen the road to Whistler for the Olympics? Now look what they've done! :)

I would hate to spend all that time and money to get to the Whizz, only to spend time in that lift line maze. What a cluster. I have been, and lines weren't that long....this was back around 2007ish. Good times!

With the family, we now go to a more chill area here in CO where I can ride the ebike at the crack of dawn (not waiting for the lift to open) head up the hill, and ride down, repeat until done. Then head to the pool/hot tub time machine for lunch to hang out with the fam. I'll admit it's not as awesome as just riding the lift and bombing down all day, but doing things when I want to do them and not waiting in line is particularly attractive :)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Fitz line for us was running ~15-30 minutes on a Friday and Saturday. Gondola was pretty quick, probably half that. However, it was raining a bit and pretty cold up top, so I think a lot of people were avoiding the Garbo zone.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
flims laax is building what whistler needs:

gondola on steroids, 5 bikes per gondola, each gondola can go to different locations, only run when needed
Looks good but sooo expensive. Don't think Vail would spring for it...

A unique problem for bikers on chairlifts, as opposed to skiers/snowboarders, is that it takes two "chairs" to transport both rider and equipment. Unless I'm completely missing something, seems like it would be feasible (and with minimal upgrade cost) to place three hooks on the back of each chair so that each chair carries three riders and three bikes resulting in a 50% increase in capacity.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
More than often its the ratio that is all screwy IME, like 1 loading chair to 3 riding chair, or the Whistler gondola situation, which is egregious IMO.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I propose we put tiny little motors on bikes so people can twirl their legs in circles to get up the hill. No lift lines, and you can pretend its exercise. I'm sure there will be some pushback from purists, but I think this will revolutionise mountain bicycling and everyone will just get along peacefully.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Was there for a week in mid July. It was def busy; Wednesday was a 45min fitz wait.

I couldn't complain, we were in the best place on earth (other than the gang shooting lol)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Careful there. Industry may see the need for an e-Aline :)

You know, to go with eTires, eLube, eGrips, eMufflerBearings, eBlinkerFluid

:D

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Wednesday was a 45min fitz wait.
Phat Wednesday race?

Smart money is to make sure you're there right when the lift opens and bang out laps fast first thing in the morning. Even on the busiest days you can rack up piles of laps before things get busy. Same with the end of the day. That mid day busy line gets smaller and you'll again get fast laps.

Same deal with bust ski days in Whistler, busy busy busy mid morning to mid afternoon.

New infrastructure in Creekside should help spread out the crowd when it's all back up and running next year.

If they could find a way to handle 6 people and 6 bikes per chair that would add some serious lift capacity upgrades.

The Leitner bike option looks good...till you look at the details. A four person lift can only handle 2 bikes per chair, 3 bikes on a 6pack.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The hour lift line I'm referring to occurred on a Monday morning right as the lifts opened. It was the first clear day in a few days. There were no other events (or gang shootings) happening at that time.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Phat Wednesday race?

Smart money is to make sure you're there right when the lift opens and bang out laps fast first thing in the morning. Even on the busiest days you can rack up piles of laps before things get busy. Same with the end of the day. That mid day busy line gets smaller and you'll again get fast laps.

Same deal with bust ski days in Whistler, busy busy busy mid morning to mid afternoon.

New infrastructure in Creekside should help spread out the crowd when it's all back up and running next year.

If they could find a way to handle 6 people and 6 bikes per chair that would add some serious lift capacity upgrades.

The Leitner bike option looks good...till you look at the details. A four person lift can only handle 2 bikes per chair, 3 bikes on a 6pack.
Every time I hear about adding more capacity to lifts, I have visions of traffic jams on the trails/runs

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
By far the biggest lift line issue today has been the psychopath who played Mambo #5 in the base area and got that stupid goddamn song stuck in my head.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Soon, if not already, it'll be like going to an amusement park. I'm surprised they don't have an upcharge to skip the line.

Maybe they should put a limit on the available tickets for each day. Le Massif did this during the pandemic days (maybe still are.. Haven't checked). @Da Peach raises a good point about a more efficient lift adding to the clogging of trails.

I've been to Bromont when the trails are super packed and it's a total pain. You wait for the family in front to roll through...then 4 more roll by. Then you finally get tired of waiting and go, only to catch up to them blocking the trail somewhere. And then you have even faster people riding your ass - kind of like a traffic jam on the freeway. No bueno.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Soon, if not already, it'll be like going to an amusement park. I'm surprised they don't have an upcharge to skip the line.

Maybe they should put a limit on the available tickets for each day. Le Massif did this during the pandemic days (maybe still are.. Haven't checked). @Da Peach raises a good point about a more efficient lift adding to the clogging of trails.

I've been to Bromont when the trails are super packed and it's a total pain. You wait for the family in front to roll through...then 4 more roll by. Then you finally get tired of waiting and go, only to catch up to them blocking the trail somewhere. And then you have even faster people riding your ass - kind of like a traffic jam on the freeway. No bueno.
trail congestion is a fair point. I don’t imagine this scenario in whistler is a concerted effort to avoid that. Seems more like they haven’t fully thought this through, don’t care or are just waiting until next year when everything magically improves.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
trail congestion is a fair point. I don’t imagine this scenario in whistler is a concerted effort to avoid that. Seems more like they haven’t fully thought this through, don’t care or are just waiting until next year when everything magically improves.
Owned by a publicy traded company, I'm guessing they don't care as long as the $$$ keeps coming.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Did you try yelling "STRAVA!"? It works.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
In the winter Ski School jumps the line. Guys have signed up in a group for a "lesson" to try and game the line. Pretty sure you can do this in the summer too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is definitely something that's wrong with all the industries. Lines to the highest bidder. Which is why I say fuck ski resorts and the bigger the bike park, the bigger a problem this will become. There's some awesome terrain on the opposite side of the valley and you can end at a brewery and send the middle finger to the lift line.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
fuck, fuck, FUCK "growing the sport." fuck it all to hell and back. ir's destroyed everything i loved about the trails in the woods here.
I get a certain pleasure this time of year when dipshits on Enduro bikes start panicking when the flow trails they demanded get riddled with braking bumps.

"Someone please fix the results of me shitty desires and poor riding skills"

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
As for the trail congestion - the black and double black trails are always empty on a rainy day. Don't see or hear anyone. It's rather pleasant.

The jump lines there do next to nothing for me unless I'm showing a beginner around or something. That's what a motocross track is for.

What I can't decide is whether I'm grateful that they're there to keep all the gapers over there, or annoyed that those trails exist to bring all the gapers to the lift lines.