Quantcast

white bike parts

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
A friend of mine wants me to build him a new dh bike, and all the parts have to be white. The frame is going to be a black demo 2012, but i am having troubles with finding a crankset and decent white brakes. Can someone please help me

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Truvativ Holzfeller are available in white. Old crappy '08 Codes were available in white.

White bike parts look good until you ride it for the first time.

Last edited:

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Deity Vendetta cranks are sweet in white.

But, '12 Demo is BB30, right? So you'd have to do a conversion (perhaps not a big deal, but I haven't done one) plus, even w/ an external BB option for the Vendettas, the 3 piece crank setup can be tricky for some people, so fair warning.

That said, they're sick, solid cranks. I'm running the v.2 ('09's) and love them.

Edit: MRP Camber cranks are available in white, too.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Can you even buy the black as a frame for 2012, to my knowledge, you can only buy it as a complete-which comes with zero white parts

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I find it funny as someone who has had several near catastrophic crashes this year that anyone would base their bike build on color over performance. I wonder if these are the same people saying they broke a body part and their dhing is done for the year. My saint brakes,cranks, point1 pedals etc would be on my bike regardless of color.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
there is a way to make a lasting white ano, get somethings thats black, and have it lasered, normally they just laser in names etc or some picture etc.

What the laser does is remove the pigment in the ano, so it becomes "white" in effect.

but its costly and a better way would simply to get most fo the parts wetcoated/painted white then cover with helitape or a similar layer of clear protective coating.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
I find it funny as someone who has had several near catastrophic crashes this year that anyone would base their bike build on color over performance. I wonder if these are the same people saying they broke a body part and their dhing is done for the year. My saint brakes,cranks, point1 pedals etc would be on my bike regardless of color.
thats why i am asking for advice, so i dont just go into a shop and buy the first white stuff but instead get some stuff that is good and also the correct color :D

ps: in this season i bend a pair of saint cranks, and a mate of mine broke his collarbone and ligaments in his shoulder because his saint brakes faded and he wanted to pump them in the middle of a jump....

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What the laser does is remove the pigment in the ano, so it becomes "white" in effect.
Pretty sure the laser just etches into the surface of the part, removing the layer of anodizing entirely. Thus the lasered area is actually just raw metal, not a removal of colour from the anodization.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm quite positive you can build nearly an entire bike with white Funn components.
I had a Session 10 with a nearly all-white build and despite all the people who say it's hard to keep clean, I found it to be one of the easiest bikes to keep clean and good looking.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
tried this experiment 3 years back on a freeride bike. its not as much fun or as rewarding as you would think. just buy parts you like and maybe throw in some white accents.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pretty sure the laser just etches into the surface of the part, removing the layer of anodizing entirely. Thus the lasered area is actually just raw metal, not a removal of colour from the anodization.
:stupid:

That is correct.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
:stupid:

That is correct.

and youd both be wrong.

Ive had lasering done to a lot of paintball guns etc, it definately does not remove the ano.

The paintball guys have been obsessed with getting a white ano for a lot of years now, the closest they get is a very light grey, but a few very rich folks have gone and done a black one and gotten it a full laser job. and it turns out white.

Its not a smooth ano as its slightly rough to the touch, but by no means is the ano removed. think of it as something that removes the upper 1/10 of the ano and removes the pigment in the ano.

go check out gruntbulls ano/laser jobs or razalife etc tons to pick from.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
so close... and yet so far. forgot to anodize the fork lowers!

otherwise, big win for the bikes-as-jewelry crowd!

I always feel so small and insignificant when my bike isn't decked out by the staff of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy!