Quantcast

White bros....bro

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody spend anytime on either of the White Brothers Groove 200 or 180 forks? Seem to be a good setup with a nitro charged damper.

I find myself longing after my avy for certain reasons after a season on a boxxer...

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
I've had some 180s, they were okish.
If your not too heavy they might be alright as they do flex some, I needed firmer springs but could not get ahold of any.
they also dont have much trail so your wheel base will be up to 3/4" shorter with the 180s

The 200s should be better as they have alot more bushing overlap.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Im almost certain that whitebros is out of business so parts would be a real bitch to find.
i havent heard that either.

years ago they were in trouble, but that was 8-9 years ago...their product looks nice. ive only seen one or two newer models in the past few years

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If you spend the $149 for the Push Boxxer upgrade you will be very very impressed with the ride of the Boxxer. The difference is day and night.

I don't think the White Bros. is anything special at all, it will probably be a step in the opposit direction.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I had a Groove 200 a few years ago. It felt like poop! And it was flexy (probably because it didn't come in rootbeer) and heavy.

Get your Boxxer Push'ed instead..

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whitebrotherscycling is the mtb site.

I like the performance of the boxxer quite a bit...it's the chassis I'm not impressed with. I know I need to suck it up and tear it down every two rides, but that sucks when I never had to do didley to my avy in two years.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my old dh2.0 was great performing, stiff & absolutely bomber fork (ie, only required a once a year clean & lube). the damper was solid & the build quality was fantastic (nicer machining that the mass production stuff from the big co's). the 200 has more overlap, so's even stiffer. by today's standards it's relatively heavy (8lbs), and i'm pretty sure the current dampers are more sophisticated (haven't ridden the w/b since i bought a w/c boxxer in '06.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
whitebrotherscycling is the mtb site.

I like the performance of the boxxer quite a bit...it's the chassis I'm not impressed with. I know I need to suck it up and tear it down every two rides, but that sucks when I never had to do didley to my avy in two years.
It is just the bath oil/seal, bushing lube, you dont need to pull the whole fork apart. Once you do it a few times, it will only take you 10 min to do. Cake!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
every 2 rides is overkill!

A few times a season is enough unless you ride a ton or in slop. Like Davep said, just the lubricating oil. Loosen the bottom bolts, tap them with a hammer, pull the lowers off, clean, lube and reassemble. The damper oil stays very very clean. I neglected my fork last year and did not change the damper fluid for over a year, when I did change it the oil still looked new.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I rode and abused a groove 200 for a few years and it was a great fork - definitely still the best inverted option IMO. My experiences were pretty similar to xy9ine's although I had the newest version with more overlap, better seals etc. Stiffness on the newer design was about the same as my 08 boxxer torsionally and better that the boxxer in other directions. Their customer service was also pretty impressive. The design is probably getting a bit outdated, but for 2/3 the price of some other manufacturers top forks you are getting beautifully machined US made metal parts in your fork instead of a bunch of lower quality Taiwan plastic. If the design suits what you are looking for you will be happy with it.

Last edited: