Quantcast

white brothers dh 2.0

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Before i say anything, i've done a search. I am being offered a 2003 anodized red white brothers dh 2.0 fork that has just been freshly rebuilt. Becuase i have owned a dorado and have no experience whatsoever on a whiteborthers fork, I have 2 questions:
1) How does it compare to a dorado? better or worse?

2) Being that it has been freshly rebuilt from white brothers, is it a good deal for $250 cash? or do u guys think i can find somethin better for that type of money?

Let me know. thanks

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
for 250 i would say it's a good deal...but not too much more than that. I don't think white brothers really stepped their game up until they got bought by ekosport, and even then I think the white and black forks are the highest quality. can you ride it a little before you commit? that would be the best.

i say go for it if you're on a budget or it's on a backup bike, but stay away if it's going on your main ride and you
re going all out.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yearoftiger said:
Before i say anything, i've done a search. I am being offered a 2003 anodized red white brothers dh 2.0 fork that has just been freshly rebuilt. Becuase i have owned a dorado and have no experience whatsoever on a whiteborthers fork, I have 2 questions:
1) How does it compare to a dorado? better or worse?

2) Being that it has been freshly rebuilt from white brothers, is it a good deal for $250 cash? or do u guys think i can find somethin better for that type of money?

Let me know. thanks
1) better

2) if its red, and dark anodized crowns, then its a 2000 dh-3, one of the best forks ever IMO. and well worth 250 if its in reasonable shape.
. if its from 2001 and up and is red, with no piggyback, then its a dh-2 and i wouldnt be so sure about the price, although if its in great shape its a fair buy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Uh.....yeah.....it says dh2 on the right leg.

And that's a planet x bike so either it's stolen, it's second hand to an ignorant pary or the prick is lying to you.

No original owner of that bike would think that's a dh2.0.

edit: anyway.........still a good fork. Not the best that white brothers made at the time but that could be a 6 or 7" fork just fyi.

I had one and it worked well. But I also knew what I had. And it wasn't a 2.0

Jul 13, 2019
Uh.....yeah.....it says dh2 on the right leg.

And that's a planet x bike so either it's stolen, it's second hand to an ignorant pary or the prick is lying to you.

No original owner of that bike would think that's a dh2.0.

edit: anyway.........still a good fork. Not the best that white brothers made at the time but that could be a 6 or 7" fork just fyi.

I had one and it worked well. But I also knew what I had. And it wasn't a 2.0

I had one and it worked well. But I also knew what I had. And it wasn't a 2.0[/QUOTE]

Do you by any chance know how to work on one? I recently bought a pair for $70 for a new old bike build. But i cant get them working properly and i havent been able to fully dissasemble them. (I bought them because i like old bike parts btw) but if you or anyone here can help it would be greatly appreciated.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Haha, whoa.

Those are the ones with a sealed damper. I can't remember if it's those or the old gold ones before that but I think you can get inside the damper fairly easily if you need to. I think it has a floating piston you need to know how to set correctly the get the right oil volume.

What do you need to work on?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
Haha, whoa.

Those are the ones with a sealed cartridge damper. I can't remember if it's those or the old gold ones before that but I think you can get inside the damper fairly easily if you need to. I think it has a floating piston you need to know how to set correctly the get the right oil volume.

What do you need to work on?
I need to work on the floating piston. But i cant gey into the cartridge to reset it. Also i read the manual over and over, but it doesnt talk about there being any oil in the spring side. Also i need to swap the coil for a lighter one. Im gonna try and buy a coil from the mrp ribbon and retrofit it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Incredible timing. I still have some springs from those forks that I just found cleaing out some old bike stuff in my garage. Go knows what they are number-wise but they're definitely from WB forks.

Just lube oil on the spring side.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
What do You mean, You can't get into?
Incredible timing. I still have some springs from those forks that I just found cleaing out some old bike stuff in my garage. Go knows what they are number-wise but they're definitely from WB forks.

Just lube oil on the spring side.
Hell yea man! I'll buy those off of ya if they fit my weight (im ~120lbs)

And i cant open the cartidge. That little metal lock washer thing wont come off. And i was able to do it on the other side but then the plastic cap thats underneith wouldnt come off. So am i missing something?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Hell yea man! I'll buy those off of ya if they fit my weight (im ~120lbs)

And i cant open the cartidge. That little metal lock washer thing wont come off. And i was able to do it on the other side but then the plastic cap thats underneith wouldnt come off. So am i missing something?
Man, I took this fork apart like milion times, and have no idea what are You talking about. Can You make some pictures? That would help a lot.

Jul 13, 2019
Man, I took this fork apart like milion times, and have no idea what are You talking about. Can You make some pictures? That would help a lot.
Yea i dony have any photos. But ill try and explain it better. So when you take the sanction out of the fork leg, its basically just a piston. And around the piston at the top of the sanction is that plastic cap, sunk in by about 1mm. And its retained by a metal washer thing. It just cant get those off. When i get home (in about 2 days) ill send photos.

Jul 13, 2019
Dh2 and ud180s were similar on the damper side. Picture a monotube car shock. An in line piston, charged by a Schrader on the bottom of the leg.

Either way it's just a circlip. Two small flathead screwdrivers will do it.
Ok thanks, when i have the time, i'll get to it.

Jul 13, 2019
When you get a chance, count the number of coils on your spring and measure the wire thickness with some calipers. If I have a lighter spring it's all yours.
Alrighty, ill keep ya posted. If its what im looking for, how much do you want for em?

Jul 13, 2019
Measure the total length too. I just realized I had a lot more springs but I know some of them are a different brand.

The ones that I'm pretty sure are white brothers would be heavier than what you have.
Actually kinda wierd, but after i rebuilt the forks the springs feel waaaaaaay lighter. I think the way i rebuilt them before had too much stiction on the seals. But the springs feel fine now. All i need to do is swap the damper oil out for some thicker stuff. Thanks for all the help though, i appreciate it.