Quantcast

White Brothers DHR 180mm - TOTAL AIR!

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
216
0
Brazil


DHR RACE FORKS
180mm travel, Lightweight, Air Sprung and damped, triple clamp Downhill Race forks.

If Speed is your passion, then the DHR (Down Hill Racer) from White Brothers can’t be beat.
At only 5.3 lbs. with 180mm of travel, the DHR is the best performing, lightest weight DH race fork on the market today.
The radical brace, extended overlap bushing system and stiff leading axle create the best design for racers looking for speed without
losing control.

Gas charged, fully adjustable oil damping system.
Externally adjustable Rebound and Compression.
Infinite air preload with self regulating negative spring.
Dual crown, with 32mm Easton Stanchions.
20mm T-axle, I.S. Disc brake only.
Superlight at 5.3lbs (2.4Kg)
180mm travel.



What do you think about it?
someone already ride it?
thanks
 

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
4,160
0
at the end of the longest line
WhiteRavenKS said:
im glad it has a "leading" axle. i would hate some have something with negative rake...
they just mean theres an additional offset at the axle, instead of having the total offset at the crowns like Stratos does (typical of machined one piece lowers to save on materials)
 

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
665
0
At a computer...duh
If it lives up to Marzocchi's toughness, reliability and (relative) cost-effectiveness, and has the plushness that the Fox 40 gets that could easily kill the DH fork market...but that happening is highly unlikely, although I have heard good things about their durability. Wonder if that's going to cost just as much as the Fox 40...if it were <$1000 I would foresee White Bros. taking off big time this year.
 

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
16,779
1,446
01776
NO! NO NO NO NO NO!

Flip it upside down and I'd buy one. Can't be too expensive, they already have the chassis worked out, and the englund total air cartridge has been around since 97, when people realized that plastic judy cartridges blow, literally.

Stick in a UD180 chassis or DH 1.8 and I might be in heaven.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
24,358
3,384
In my pants
Sandwich said:
NO! NO NO NO NO NO!

Flip it upside down and I'd buy one. Can't be too expensive, they already have the chassis worked out, and the englund total air cartridge has been around since 97, when people realized that plastic judy cartridges blow, literally.

Stick in a UD180 chassis or DH 1.8 and I might be in heaven.
I'd be willing to bet it steers a lot better than one of the inverteds.

WB has been working on this fork for almost 3 years with Lance Canfield doing the testing and feedback. I'm guessing it will be a pretty damn good fork.
 

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
1,369
0
B'ham
how come it says air sprung and damped then says it has a gas charged oil damper? which one is it.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
24,358
3,384
In my pants
joelsman said:
how come it says air sprung and damped then says it has a gas charged oil damper? which one is it.
It's an oil damper under pressure from gas.

Imagine a vanilla RC without the coil.......just a damper with a pressurized air chamber. Spring work is separate.......coil, air whatever.
 

bc2002

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
65
0
Vancouver, BC
I seem to remember Lance coming on here a while back and praising this thing, but saying that there were a few bugs that needed to be worked out. That was like 6 months to a year ago.

I'm a huge WB fan and love my DH2. If this has the feeling of a WB inverted and is almost 3 punds lighter, Zoke, Fox, Manitou, blah, blah, blah, better watch out! I think I want one! Dropping 3 pounds on my 8flat8 give me goose bumps.
 

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,638
4
SF, CA
Sandwich said:
NO! NO NO NO NO NO!

Flip it upside down and I'd buy one. Can't be too expensive, they already have the chassis worked out, and the englund total air cartridge has been around since 97, when people realized that plastic judy cartridges blow, literally.

Stick in a UD180 chassis or DH 1.8 and I might be in heaven.
The newest DH2.0 is air assist if you want to stick with USD. It can be shortened to 180mm also if you don't want the full 200mm.

Of course, it will weigh more than 5.3 lbs.

Also, this is a brand new chassis.

I'm assuming their sticking with their old damper, which was already cutting edge... shimmed stack, nitro-charged, closed damper.
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
10,809
2,948
AK
kidwoo said:
It's an oil damper under pressure from gas.

Imagine a vanilla RC without the coil.......

Around these parts we call that a "Float"... :oink:
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
10,809
2,948
AK
ohio said:
I'm assuming their sticking with their old damper, which was already cutting edge... shimmed stack, nitro-charged, closed damper.
Shim stacks are so yesterday. They need to rock the bladder-damper.. ;)
 

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,638
4
SF, CA
ChrisRobin said:
Why only 180mm?
It's an ultralight race fork. Let's them get away with 32mm stanchions. You want more travel, add more weight.

They have a 200mm option, the DH2.0. It's a great fork and not that heavy.
 

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
1,186
0
North East
5.3 pounds is AMAZING. Wow this seems like it will be great fork if everything turns out okay and there are no bugs in it. :)
 

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
4,160
0
at the end of the longest line
bc2002 said:
I seem to remember Lance coming on here a while back and praising this thing, but saying that there were a few bugs that needed to be worked out. That was like 6 months to a year ago.

.
wonder if its the self-regulating negative air pressure which is a damn cool idea, otherwise setting up the air springs might be a nightmare and cool really ruin the forks performance in the wrong hands.
 

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
1,009
0
Wisconsin
CBJ said:
Sounds like one amazing fork but more information about how it rides would be usefull.
Personally, I have ZERO interest in hearing how it rides. Why? Because the only people who can comment on it right now are going to be the designers, sponsored riders, or "friends of the family". How much more biased could ride reports be?
 

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
1,270
0
neither here nor there
zedro said:
they just mean theres an additional offset at the axle, instead of having the total offset at the crowns like Stratos does (typical of machined one piece lowers to save on materials)

yeah... i was joking. boating about it's "leading axle design!!" is like when department store bikes have stickers that boast "18 Speed index shifting!!"
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
24,358
3,384
In my pants
zedro said:
wonder if its the self-regulating negative air pressure which is a damn cool idea, otherwise setting up the air springs might be a nightmare and cool really ruin the forks performance in the wrong hands.

I was wondering about that too. I've taken apart my RP3 a few times for some maintenence and it's a really simple system that fox uses. I assume something like that would work well for a fork that's not under the same leverage as a rear shock. Outside of avalanche which is pretty much on par, WB has the most solid construction of almost any fork out there. I like the machined stuff over solid castings. If they can get it as light.....whoohoo.
 

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
4,160
0
at the end of the longest line
WhiteRavenKS said:
yeah... i was joking. boating about it's "leading axle design!!" is like when department store bikes have stickers that boast "18 Speed index shifting!!"
well Fox touts that as one of their features on the 40 "using a stepped 20mm axle to allow the fork to settle at a lower friction point", which is i guess what was implied here as well, with the hint of BSage as well
 

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
77
0
they have the specs and a wholesale price. None in stock yet of course. I would guess that the wholesale price plus a standard mark-up would make the fork about a grand. Will probably see them go mail-order in the 900-950 range though would be my estimate.
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
10,809
2,948
AK
So are we going to run into the Fox 40 phenomina here? We get some big names like LANCE CANFIELD and his 300 foot hucks to flat, will this be the new must have product for trail riders and huckers?

Or will the people that buy it actually use it as it's intended?
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
24,358
3,384
In my pants
Jm_ said:
So are we going to run into the Fox 40 phenomina here? We get some big names like LANCE CANFIELD and his 300 foot hucks to flat, will this be the new must have product for trail riders and huckers?

Or will the people that buy it actually use it as it's intended?
More like it's lighter than the fork I have on my freeride bike that I climb with right now so I'm interested in it........and have been for over a year. And from what I can tell with LC the way he talks about the bikes with his name on them, he's not the kind of person who talks fluff about something just because he's involved with it.

So actually maybe my answer to your question is just "yes". :blah:
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
lukeduke said:
they have the specs and a wholesale price. None in stock yet of course. I would guess that the wholesale price plus a standard mark-up would make the fork about a grand. Will probably see them go mail-order in the 900-950 range though would be my estimate.

off the top off my head the msrp is 1175, might be wrong though
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
kidwoo said:
I was wondering about that too. I've taken apart my RP3 a few times for some maintenence and it's a really simple system that fox uses. I assume something like that would work well for a fork that's not under the same leverage as a rear shock. Outside of avalanche which is pretty much on par, WB has the most solid construction of almost any fork out there. I like the machined stuff over solid castings. If they can get it as light.....whoohoo.

RS has the self adjusting dual air chamber air spring thing going on in the solo air , havent they?

more than the air spring id be interested in seeing how the damper performs, thats the area where ive seen the dh1.8 and vt1,3 / fr1,5 (the dhr is a mix of those forks in a way) could need some update.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
24,358
3,384
In my pants
vitox said:
RS has the self adjusting dual air chamber air spring thing going on in the solo air , havent they?.
I have no idea on the RS stuff. I haven't really been looking.

vitox said:
more than the air spring id be interested in seeing how the damper performs, thats the area where ive seen the dh1.8 and vt1,3 / fr1,5 (the dhr is a mix of those forks in a way) could need some update.
Agreed. My old UD180 with the similar damper as the 1.8 worked pretty well but I've seen a few of the fr 1.5 forks that didn't feel so hot.