Quantcast

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy ? video that now has forced the official to resign.

Shirley Sherrod, the department?s Georgia director of Rural Development, is shown in the clip describing ?the first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm.? Sherrod, who is black, claimed the farmer took a long time trying to show he was ?superior? to her. The audience laughed as she described how she determined his fate.
at least she didn't make whitey work the fields planting soy beans

white farmers are an odd lot: they're red-neckish, yet some take gov't subsidies, strongly championed by democrats.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the following update to the story demonstrates just how far we've gotten in a post-racial society:

Former USDA employee says White House pressured her to resign - most notably by this
Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- A black former Agriculture Department employee, who resigned after a video clip surfaced of her discussing a white farmer, insisted Tuesday she "went all out" to help the man keep his farm and said she resigned under pressure from the Obama administration.

Shirley Sherrod, who resigned Monday as the department's director of rural development for Georgia, told CNN she had four calls telling her the White House wanted her to resign.

"They asked me to resign, and in fact they harassed me as I was driving back to the state office from West Point, Georgia, yesterday," she said. The last call "asked me to pull to the side of the road and do it [resign]," she said.

"I don't feel good about it, because I know I didn't do anything wrong," she said. "... During my time at USDA, I gave it all I had."

Meanwhile, the wife of the white farmer referenced in the clip told CNN she credits Sherrod with helping her family save their farm. Eloise Spooner remembered Sherrod as "getting in there and doing all she could do to help us."

To prove she had done her job, she said, she took him to a white lawyer. "I figured that if I take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him," she said.

"I didn't discriminate," she said. "If I had discriminated against him, I would not have given him any help at all because I wasn't obligated to do it by anyone ... I didn't have to help that farmer. I could have sent him out the door without giving him any help at all. But in the end, we became very good friends, and that friendship lasted for some years." In addition, she said, she went on to help "hundreds" more white farmers.
so what we have here is:
- separate but equal
- affirmative action
- wants to get acknowledged that she helped out whitey
- some of her best friends are white

maybe she should join the local chapter of the KK...i mean...tea party

on a related note: you ever notice how this place sure gets quiet when it's black-on-white or lib-on-freeper bigotry?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Freeper? :confused:
Am I to understand that Miss Sherrod thinks she’s being treated unfairly? She's hardly the first person to be forced out after making not-so-smart comments publicly.

on a related note: you ever notice how this place sure gets quiet when it's black-on-white or lib-on-freeper bigotry?
Maybe its because she actually got sh1t canned for it?

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is why I lol'ed when the NAACP first started calling the Tea Party racist. But at least this gal was bold enough to say it she was at least biased in her speech.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no, your screaming is too loud.
it's hard to scream w/ obama's boot on my throat
Maybe its because she actually got sh1t canned for it?
and it would seem pre-maturely.
whatever happened to a fair trial before the hangin?
This is why I lol'ed when the NAACP first started calling the Tea Party racist. But at least this gal was bold enough to say it she was at least biased in her speech.
and you know what? good for her. seems the broader context was on the up-and-up, but i'm just glad the naacp was forced [i believe] to apply the same ridiculous standard across the board [ed: by denouncing her stmt].

i don't see what she said as hate speech, but w/ uncle rukus clumsiness.

no wait; he's straight up racist.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well this is post-worthy: Official Ousted From Ag Department Had Taken USDA to Court, Won
The Agriculture Department has a lengthy history with the official forced to resign Monday over a controversial YouTube clip -- it turns out she and a group she helped found with her husband won millions last year in a discrimination suit settlement with the federal government.
even white farmers know you don't **** where you eat

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
It is a lie:
what part is 'a lie'?

the part where the audience oohs-and-ahhs over sticking it to the man, or that naacp is so wrapped up in their knee jerk reactions to tar people w/ the race charge they now find themselves in a pickle & are back-tracking from their original condemnation?

can you imagine how tbaggers would get treated if someone wandered from the plantation & spoke at a [klan?] rally using reflective language, and the crowd showed even a trace of equanimity? they're having to swat these flies over false charges (e.g., n-word yelled @ capitol bldg) as it is.

i got no beef w/ sherrod, but i'm just thick-skinned like that. however, i will give no quarter to one-sided race pimps like naacp

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
what part is 'a lie'?

the part where the audience oohs-and-ahhs over sticking it to the man, or that naacp is so wrapped up in their knee jerk reactions to tar people w/ the race charge they now find themselves in a pickle & are back-tracking from their original condemnation?

can you imagine how tbaggers would get treated if someone wandered from the plantation & spoke at a [klan?] rally using reflective language, and the crowd showed even a trace of equanimity? they're having to swat these flies over false charges (e.g., n-word yelled @ capitol bldg) as it is.

i got no beef w/ sherrod, but i'm just thick-skinned like that. however, i will give no quarter to one-sided race pimps like naacp
She actually helped the farmers. The farmers are thankful and do not think she is racist at all.

What bothers me about most modern day racists is that they claim not to have a racist bone in their body. They just advocate cutting all social programs and stopping immigration. Basically, anything that helps minorities.

Actually, I'm not too bothered by that either, since I am rather moderate in this regard.

However, a lot of the teabaggers I know totally deny being racist at all, which then I have to laugh in their faces.

My opinion about racism is that all of us are racist. In my heart of hearts, I have racist thoughts. So did Sherrod. She said she wanted to deny them her help but she didn't do that and she is satisfied she did the right thing.

But what I don't do is act upon my feelings. I treat everyone with respect and I live a diverse life.

Ask a teabagger, and I guarantee you they will deny being racist. Of course, they live in a white middle class neighborhood.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Interesting take from the Man.

The white farming family that was the subject of the story stood by Sherrod and said she should stay.

"We probably wouldn't have (our farm) today if it hadn't been for her leading us in the right direction," said Eloise Spooner, the wife of farmer Roger Spooner of Iron City, Ga. "I wish she could get her job back because she was good to us, I tell you."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
What bothers me about most modern day racists is that they claim not to have a racist bone in their body. They just advocate cutting all social programs and stopping immigration. Basically, anything that helps minorities.
or blindly advocate for one race over another, giving no regard for the content of their character, or putting forth the lie someone is limited in their potential b/c of the color of their skin

oh, and it's "wasteful or redundant social programs with no effective accountability system in place", and "illegal immigration". just thought i'd point this out, even if our kind has been negligent w/ the nuances (we haven't - others try to create these strawmen)
Actually, I'm not too bothered by that either, since I am rather moderate in this regard.
funny how when you get your **** together & strike out on your own that the arrows flung by others are ineffective. now imagine if others thought this way. why this is not as heavily advocated as looking for racism under every stone is anyone's guess.
However, a lot of the teabaggers I know totally deny being racist at all, which then I have to laugh in their faces.
just like sherrod. i'm sure she never meant any racist overtones in what she was saying. just look at her heart, man!
But what I don't do is act upon my feelings. I treat everyone with respect and I live a diverse life.
said the godless heathen
Ask a teabagger, and I guarantee you they will deny being racist. Of course, they live in a white middle class neighborhood.
not to worry: they'll be in obamavilles in a few years. then they'll have street cred?
jimmydean said:
Interesting take from the Man.
typical round-eyed, flat-butted, hayseed, house cracka uncle tom sellout

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
It was 24 years ago.
so what? when trent lott gave props to the old raisin it was regarding a missed opportunity decades prior as well. are we supposed to recognize a statute of limitations on racially clumsy statements, taken out-of-context as bigotry? i'd hope so, but won't hold my breath.
Briebart actually edited out the 2nd half of the story where she talked about how this deeply affected her, she went on to help this man save his farm, and that they're friends to this day.
full video is up, and my understanding (smoking gun needed here) is the naacp had full access to it before deriding sherrod ["The owner of the production company who filmed it has told TPMmuckraker he won't release it to the public until he gets permission from the NAACP"]. IOW, they "acted stupidly"

in the interest of cya, it's even on their website now: http://www.naacp.org/news/entry/video_sherrod/
speaking of getting pwnd: Breitbart On Sherrod's NAACP Speech: 'I Did Not Edit This Thing'

sorry to ruin your chub-rub sesh

oh, and this quote from theweek.com is buttery rich:
When people talk of the "closing of the conservative mind" this is what they mean: not that conservatives are more narrow-minded than other people — everybody can be narrow minded — but that conservatives have a unique capacity to ignore unwelcome fact.

When Dan Rather succumbed to the forged Bush war record hoax in 2004, CBS forced him into retirement. Breitbart is the conservative Dan Rather, but there will be no discredit, no resignation for him.
got that? dan rather - at the time the cbs anchorman & managing editor - gave *NO* due diligence before putting forth a fabricated document as truth (a.k.a. "succumbed to the forged Bush war record hoax") b/c he was blinded by bush derangement syndrome, but breitbart puts forth *the actual video* and he's somehow echoing a lie?

this is a new level of cognitive dissonance, even for you

oh, and i'd like to know what the full 43 min video (w/ a tape change around 21) revealed that "selective editing" hid from view. surely, it must be significant enough for the WH to refudiate (palinism for ya) their own condemnation (hint: they haven't, and they've had more facts than us for sufficient time).

*again*, the beef here isn't w/ sherrod, it's w/ the double standard perfectly modeled by the naacp, and the lack of vigor with which the charges of racism against the tbaggers is levied. that's right, still no media coverage on the false accusations by congressmen of hurled "racist epithets" at the capitol even though there's sufficient audio/video coverage to repute the charges. selective journalistic agnosticism is good for no one.

and don't get me started on the journolist topic, which can only serve to drive up fauxnewzes viewership

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
speaking of getting pwnd: Breitbart On Sherrod's NAACP Speech: 'I Did Not Edit This Thing'

sorry to ruin your chub-rub sesh
Mr. Breibart is the only right-wing-blowhard in this entire country? There's not a single other right-wing idiot selectively editing that video with the intention of getting you riled up?

And you bought it, hook, line and sinker. *gulp*

Aren't you tired of being made to look like an idiot when the full story comes out behind these right-wing propaganda pieces?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
oh, and i'd like to know what the full 43 min video (w/ a tape change around 21) revealed that "selective editing" hid from view. surely, it must be significant enough for the WH to refudiate (palinism for ya) their own condemnation (hint: they haven't, and they've had more facts than us for sufficient time).
Oh, there's also this part:

some unspecified source said:
The new lie is that this film wasn’t about Sherrod, it was about the “racist NAACP audience reaction.” None other than Rich Lowry puts this to bed:

Jonah, the problem with the audience defense made by your e-mailers is that Sherrod told her listeners this before launching into the white-farmer story:

When I made that commitment [to stay in the South], I was making that commitment to black people, and to black people only. But you know God will show you things, and he’ll put things in your path so that you realize that the struggle is really about poor people.

So, the audience knew what the up-shot of the story was going to be. In a disservice to everyone,

Andrew’s source clipped the video to exclude this key introduction, which would have only added about 20 seconds more in length, but an entire world in additional context.

The audience knew from the beginning of the speech that this was a tale of redemption, and were in no way cheering racism. This bull**** about audience reaction is just shifting the smear from Sherrod to unknown black people.

Not that folks like Ed Morrisey won’t give it the old college try, anyway.
So lets see, whatever right-wing blowhard edited it, he edited out the 20sec before the "story" started, and everything after the "but..." where she was talking about all the good that she did for him.

But hey, if you still think that jumping all over this piece didn't make you look like a fool who got suckered by the right wing's propaganda, don't let me hold you down...

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Aren't you tired of being made to look like an idiot when the full story comes out behind these right-wing propaganda pieces?
you know the story's not about sherrod, right? it's always been framed as a "look at the naacp crowd, and how they cotton well to a feel good story"

it's not *only* about poor people, as rich lowry claims. curious as to why he fails to quote sherrod, who said "it *IS* about black and white", as well as poor people. i choose not to ignore that. seems relevant, however inconvenient to mr. lowry, who needs to be put to bed.

like you, i'm still very much interested in the identity of the "right wing blowhard" who edited the video, and why the naacp gave permission to release it. i'm assuming it's their intellectual property, and not that of the production company who produced it, but i could be wrong. and that may be significant.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Back in the 80's, it was easy to figure who were the racists: they would tell you, "No way would I rent to/hire/marry a n*****".

30 years later, who is a racist is harder to know.

My g/f's landlady was just cited because she was busted in a rental sting with 4 couples, 2 white and 2 black. There is still a need for racism watchdogs.

There is still plenty of wrongheaded reverse racism, like the New Haven firefighter case. I absolutely believe there was a need for affirmative action in the 20th Century, but less so now, particularly in a standardized test given to veteran officers.

As for individuals, well, I participate in a primarily white sport. Even in the Bay Area, I would say about 90% of the riders I know are white.

Is it a big deal? No. Race has never come up. It is not like they treat me any different because I'm Chinese.

But do I think mountain biking is a diverse sport? No, not really. Not like soccer for example.

What does that mean? Not much, but please don't get butt hurt if I think mountain bikers or any group of primarily white people might not be the most knowledgeable about other races.

But what I know about whites? Well, a lot because they are the majority. Every minority group has to deal with whites on many levels.

Now think about your own lives. Are you a racial minority at your workplace? Church? Bars, neighborhoods, clubs?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Ooopps.... Our bad.
The Obama administration formally apologized on Wednesday to Shirley Sherrod, the USDA official abruptly fired earlier this week for comments taken out of context by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart.

"On behalf of our administration, I offer an apology," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said during Wednesday's daily briefing, acknowledging that the administration had not seen a full tape of Sherrod's comments prior to Tuesday evening. "Look, a disservice was done, an apology is owed. That's what we've done."

Gibbs relayed that Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack had been trying to speak to Sherrod on the phone. And later in the day, the Secretary held a press conference of his own during which he relayed that he had, indeed, talked to Sherrod, offered to hire her back, and apologized profusely for the episode.

"I did not think before I acted and for that this poor woman has gone through a very hard time," he said. "There will be changes, one thing there needs to be a more deliberative process, obviously, and I need to do a better job reaching out to get input before a decision of this magnitude is made."

"This is a good woman," he added. "She's been put through hell. She was put through hell and I could have done and should have done a better job."

Vilsack would go on to take complete responsibility for the firing saying that the buck stopped with him and not the president on this decision. But Gibbs cast a wider net, blaming the episode, in part, on the "frenzied culture" that exists in modern politics. "[W]e have a society and culture that's pervasive in this town where everything is viewed through the lens of who wins, who loses, how fast, by what margin," he said.

The Press Secretary also called the episode a "teachable moment," but declined to address who exactly was being taught or who was doing the teaching.

Certainly, the firing has provided a lesson in how quickly racial politics can captivate much of the conversation even during what has been described as a post-racial presidency. Earlier in the day, the president signed into law sweeping financial reform legislation, a major accomplishment that was given only mild attention during the daily briefing.

As the administration waxed apologetically for the firing, so too did Breitbart, who said he felt "bad that they made this about her."
Sherrod, not surprisingly, was not so quick to forget her treatment. She called Fox News' coverage of her out-of-context remarks (in which she appeared to talking about her past hesitancy in dealing with white farmers but was merely explaining how she overcame her race-based dispositions) unprofessional and even racist itself.

"They intended exactly what they did. They were looking for the result they got yesterday," she said, of the cable news station in an interview with Media Matters. "I am just a pawn. I was just here. They are after a bigger thing, they would love to take us back to where we were many years ago. Back to where black people were looking down, not looking white folks in the face, not being able to compete for a job out there and not be a whole person."

Sherrod, who was watching the Gibbs briefing on television, did not immediately say whether she would take her job back. Though it's fair to say that the White House would desperately welcome a peaceful ending to the saga. Gibbs stressed repeatedly that the administration had acted in haste. Sherrod said that a USDA official called her three times on Monday night demanding her resignation. Meanwhile, Politico's Ben Smith reported that top-ranking White House aides were initially pleased with how quickly they responded to the apparent crisis -- an account seconded to the Huffington Post by a Democratic source.

Gibbs insisted that the White House was not directly involved in the firing, an assertion that Vilsack confirmed. He vehemently denied that the administration had been too eager to quiet its conservative media critics. Indeed, he declined to criticize Breitbart by name. He did, however, offer subtle lectures to the reporters in attendance for (like the administration itself) not waiting to see the full context of Sherrod's remarks.

"Members of this administration, members of the media, members of different political factions on both sides of this have all made determinations and judgments without a full set of facts," he said. "Without a doubt, Ms. Sherrod is owed an apology."

Political opponents of Breitbart, meanwhile, are using the incident to drive home their argument that his hybrid form of activist-reporting work should no longer be trusted. The progressive watchdog group Media Matters for America released a video on Wednesday titled, "The End of Andrew Breitbart's Credibility."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is one of the weird conversations that I like bait people with.

Here is a better example, about tolerance vs acceptance about gays. Almost everyone is tolerant but not everyone is accepting.

Should be accepting of gays? No, but you should be respectful and tolerant.

That's how most people are about race today. There are no crackers anymore, but when I hear stuff like, "The Tea Party is not racist", I don't believe it although I can't prove it.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Now think about your own lives. Are you a racial minority at your workplace? Church? Bars, neighborhoods, clubs?
everywhere but work, it's wall-to-wall whitey

it's so white here, the wife & i are remodeling our bath by ourselves

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you know how mel gibson has said "we all have fathers" when asked to explain his dad's anti-semitic rants?

yeah, this:

i'm sure there's a context that whitey is keeping you from seeing that could explain all this. i'm even willing to bet my collection of african-canadian curler rookie cards