Quantcast

white is more money....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
And your assumptions are correct because?
For starters: because they are in fact not assumptions, as has been posted many times by various people, myself included.

The taco is mounted inboard of the chainring which actually causes it to come into contact with rocks less often than the outside the chainring mounted bashguard. it is of a lower profile (smaller effective radious) and therefore also avoids contact. bashguards are mounted to crank spiders which are not all designed to withstand the kind of forces placed on them when a very sturdy basguard hits a rock. many of them bend very easily, especially the lighter DH models everyone seems to want these days. From personal experience my gravity lite spider bent several times before i switched to the lg-1 and taco. Mounted to the iscg tabs on my Sunday (contrary to your assumption, they are extrememly sturdy) and smashed into rocks and logs regularily since last May the taco has niether come out of place nor bent or damaged the mounts.
Also, mounting to iscg tabs allows the bolts to be tightened just enough so the guide/taco can rotate a bit if you nail something hard enough (same reason you don't clamp your brake levers down full force), the standard bashguard cannot rotate and transfers all the force, with more leverage, into your crank spider which is usually less sturdy than the iscg tabs you seem so worried about.

Now, if the frame manufacturer is too incompetent or lazy to make sturdy tabs then that's another story, but it doesn't take a whole lot of work, material, or weight, to make high quality mounts; and even less sturdy mounts can stand up to a considerable amount of abuse if you set things up correctly.

So, to reiterate: This is not an assumption.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Because they aren't assumptions. Properly welded ISCG tabs will not bend or break upon the vast majority of hits they will encounter. You are far more likely to bend the spider of your cranks because they aren't made to take that kind of abuse, the kind ISCG tabs are designed to withstand. Worst case scenario something happens to the tabs, you get a BB mount tab and are good to go.

For the record, I have slammed my LG1 taco extremely hard on numerous occasions with no problems whatsoever. Most people would agree that they have stood up to plenty of abuse.
May be is missed the thread on this, but my point is simply that I haven't seen any tests, data, or empirical evidence that supports and these claims. Assuming the ICSG standard probably is more geared towards locating the tabs, not their strength, even if E13 had data, lawyers would make em keep it on the DL. Either way if General Lee knows something we don't, and is not making assumptions..............inform us not belittle us.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
May be is missed the thread on this, but my point is simply that I haven't seen any tests, data, or empirical evidence that supports and these claims. Assuming the ICSG standard probably is more geared towards locating the tabs, not their strength, even if E13 had data, lawyers would make em keep it on the DL. Either way if General Lee knows something we don't, and is not making assumptions..............inform us not belittle us.
Well, this thread has been popping up regularily since September.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189009

from a month ago: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194725&highlight=inboard+taco+spider&page=5

and there are more . . .

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
For starters: because they are in fact not assumptions, as has been posted many times by various people, myself included.

The taco is mounted inboard of the chainring which actually causes it to come into contact with rocks less often than the outside the chainring mounted bashguard. it is of a lower profile (smaller effective radious) and therefore also avoids contact. bashguards are mounted to crank spiders which are not all designed to withstand the kind of forces placed on them when a very sturdy basguard hits a rock. many of them bend very easily, especially the lighter DH models everyone seems to want these days. From personal experience my gravity lite spider bent several times before i switched to the lg-1 and taco. Mounted to the iscg tabs on my Sunday (contrary to your assumption, they are extrememly sturdy) and smashed into rocks and logs regularily since last May the taco has niether come out of place nor bent or damaged the mounts.
Also, mounting to iscg tabs allows the bolts to be tightened just enough so the guide/taco can rotate a bit if you nail something hard enough (same reason you don't clamp your brake levers down full force), the standard bashguard cannot rotate and transfers all the force, with more leverage, into your crank spider which is usually less sturdy than the iscg tabs you seem so worried about.

Now, if the frame manufacturer is too incompetent or lazy to make sturdy tabs then that's another story, but it doesn't take a whole lot of work, material, or weight, to make high quality mounts; and even less sturdy mounts can stand up to a considerable amount of abuse if you set things up correctly.

So, to reiterate: This is not an assumption.
The same exact thing can be said in the other direction too. I find that crank spiders hold up to more abuse than ISCG tabs.

Then you could get into the whole debate about how the only reason to get the LG-1 is because it is lighter than the SRS. If you're concerned about the weight of 3/4 of a bash guard, then you probably don't want thick and heavy duty ISCG tabs.

The cranks and BB will stand up to a lot of force from huge drops, loads of torque and other abuse. The extra strength is built into the design of parts intended use. ISCG tabs for the most part are just there to locate a couple hundred grams of metal and plastic.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The same exact thing can be said in the other direction too. I find that crank spiders hold up to more abuse than ISCG tabs.

Then you could get into the whole debate about how the only reason to get the LG-1 is because it is lighter than the SRS. If you're concerned about the weight of 3/4 of a bash guard, then you probably don't want thick and heavy duty ISCG tabs.

The cranks and BB will stand up to a lot of force from huge drops, loads of torque and other abuse. The extra strength is built into the design of parts intended use. ISCG tabs for the most part are just there to locate a couple hundred grams of metal and plastic.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt your first point to be true. but if it is, then your experinece is pretty limited. The experiences of dozens or racers over several season says otherwise.

Next, you seem to have missed the point about crank spiders entirely. crank arms, bottom brackets, and the interface between the 2 is designed to take a lot of abuse. the spider is the weak link; it plays no role in withstanding huge drops and loads of torque. And again, your silly assumption about what isg tabs are designed for (ISCG tabs for the most part are just there to locate a couple hundred grams of metal and plastic) goes against the specifics of the actual design and what they are in fact designed to do. See attatched links above.

and if you are really worried, get an iscg adapter plate and mount the guide behind the bottom bracket.

i'm also getting a kick out of people claiming that strong iscg tabs will 'add weight.' yeah, and so do frame decals, grease, paint, loctite, endplugs, saddle leather, and valve caps:crazy:

and you are again making the assumption (incorrectly) that the only reason anyone would use an lg-1 is to save weight.

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
unless you are a chump and dead salor off a 30 foot drop to your bottom bracket those ****s will not bend. Or if you are a cheep as and buy ****y frames made by for 20 dollars and resold for 1500 you should be fine. The taco is on the inside and and is tucked up out of the way if you hit it with enuff force to damage the iscg tabs you have more important problems to wory about than a damaged fram.